Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who says this alot. Usually about a negative issue.

I had severe depression for about a year several years ago. I am fine now. I believe it happened to make me understand what my mother went thru all of her life. Doctors back then gave her downers. If she would have had antidepressants way back then (1950's) she would have been a completely different person. A better mother to me. But at least I know why she was the way she was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 AM

947 posts, read 3,140,052 times
I believe that saying but I also don't like it. Sometimes it happens for a positive issue to.

I think the reason I don't like it is because it is said so often. At times when someone says that to me when I'm going through something horrible I kind of want to kick them. It doesn't make anyone feel better at the time. Whatever struggle I'm going through at the time that's not what I want to hear even though down the line it will be obvious to me what the lesson is.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
Yeah I guess I tend to believe that too. There are things you don't plan or that completely blindsided you and you wonder why it has happened to you. Gradually you learn the lesson it was intended for, even though you didn't anticipate such a thing happening to you. Sometimes bad things in life build up your character and forces you to be a stronger person. I believe that saying tends to apply to those lessons.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I think it's a mixture of random things and little nudges. It's a very complex arrangement though to me, and knowing what each decision and each action is influenced by is impossible...attributing everything to a single focus is an incorrect assumption. Every decision is not influenced by divine providence (lesson or guidance), everything is not influenced by how you see (or react to) life, everything is not random happenstance. It's a vital mix where if one is severely deficient the whole suffers. The important factor to me is to step back from the day to day and enjoy what I have, and not worrying about the "could haves".

Those who think things happen for solely another reason outside themselves are just abdicating their responsibility for their influence on their own life. Nothing bad ever happens to them for their own decisions, it's always some other decision or reason. It's a defeatists view, and usually it usually self propagates.

People who are entirely externally focused do not push into their dreams, they wait for it to come to them...if it doesn't (usually it takes hard work to pursue a dream) they see it as reinforcing their belief. People who are depressed often act so, and many do not want to mope around some one who is always morose and sad...they go do something else with other people to feel good. Thus reinforcing their belief that they have no friends, or people don't want to be around them. Many think they can't do anything right, so they don't even try and reinforce their belief. If they had gone in and actually worked at it they would have succeeded.

Having an external focus to one's life is often a self reinforcing view of failure.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM

304 posts, read 904,717 times
It's a trite and meaningless comment...just like, "wow, God's really testing you."

Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
It's a trite and meaningless comment...just like, "wow, God's really testing you."

And "Too many crosses to bear". Sometimes we all feel we are being "tested". I have passed many, and probably many more to come. Keeping a positive outlook and a sense of humor helps immensely.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I have a friend who says this alot. Usually about a negative issue.

I had severe depression for about a year several years ago. I am fine now. I believe it happened to make me understand what my mother went thru all of her life. Doctors back then gave her downers. If she would have had antidepressants way back then (1950's) she would have been a completely different person. A better mother to me. But at least I know why she was the way she was.
It's what you do with "the reason" that matters.
You turned it around to understand your mother where someone else may not have.

Yes, I believe things happen for a reason, some things I haven't figured the reason out yet but I know it's coming.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:43 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Oh yes, I believe things happen for a reason for sure. I have had too many circumstances in my life where maybe at the time I thought something was terrible but then I look back and see that it was good or I learned something valuable from it.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
learning and empathy is good its from god. pain suffering sickeness and death dont come from god.
they are not his messangers. sometimes waking up involves some suffering, but its not god turning the thumb screws its us refusing to wake up.
its late.
good night

Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,558,147 times
I agree almost word for word with brokencrayola. I've seen much bad in my life, that turned out to be a component of a much greater good in the long run, and the good couldn't have happened without the bad happening first.

You will never be given more than you can handle. I am living proof.

Hope this helps!

~D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness