Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM

12 posts, read 60,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossracer View Post
sorry, wanted to attached my post-op x-rays...hope this works.
I thought you're still uploading so I waited for a few days before replying.

Did you attach any picture? I didn't see any.

In any case, I hope you're still recovering well now. =)

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 03:15 PM

51 posts, read 230,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernosian View Post
Yes, the incisions are really small!

I still get hell lot of pain from dangling my right leg in mid-air, especially so when I just got down my bed, after prolonged period of my right leg staying horizontal! I'm now not in any cast nor bandage... is it advisable?

But nevertheless, the swelling seems to be going down, but the ankle and feet still feel a little numb. I could bear almost 50% of my weight on my right leg, but with restricted movement at the ankle and knee! Muscles are still stiff around where the metal rod is, and I occasionally get pains from within.

Now my arms, armpits, and left leg aches. I could see significant muscle deterioration at my right thigh already. Now my right thigh looks so much thinner than my left thigh! Need lots of exercise on my right leg when it gets better!
I never had a cast. They had me in a bandage after the surgery that I had on until my first post-op follow up appointment. They took that off and put on a light wrap around the wound where the bone came through the skin (otherwise I think I wouldn't have had any bandage at all) and took out the stitches from where the pins and rod were inserted. Never got a boot - nothing. Most I got was a gauze wrap - then when I went back 2 weeks after that they took it off and put on a band-aid (I kid you not!). I decided it was something to laugh about - had hoped to have a cast and at least have something to show for it all and instead I get a bandaid. The rod provides the structural strength on the inside that a cast would provide on the outside so I think that's why they don't do the casts - plus all the swelling would be really horrible if there was a cast on it. My thoughts.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 91,647 times
WOW- a bandaid! You definitely needed more to show what you have been through!

I had the gauze, ace bandage, and a knee immobilizer. Tomorrow I am being fitted for my new brace- a don joy.

I began PT today (almost three weeks after surgery!!) and she said my road, like so many of yours, will be long. I am definitely NWB for twelve weeks (and the Dr. and PT said that's optimistic). I am ready to take this on with determination and a positive attitude. I guess reading this thread, in some funny way, gets me through the day because we are all experiencing similar things.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM

51 posts, read 230,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyma24 View Post
WOW- a bandaid! You definitely needed more to show what you have been through!

I had the gauze, ace bandage, and a knee immobilizer. Tomorrow I am being fitted for my new brace- a don joy.

I began PT today (almost three weeks after surgery!!) and she said my road, like so many of yours, will be long. I am definitely NWB for twelve weeks (and the Dr. and PT said that's optimistic). I am ready to take this on with determination and a positive attitude. I guess reading this thread, in some funny way, gets me through the day because we are all experiencing similar things.
This thread kept me sane - and still does. Hanging in there is easier said than done some days. Try to find humor where you can. Focus on the positive wherever you find it too. And keep focusing on the improvements every day - my PT was great when I'd be wondering if I was making any progress and reminded me to really look back ... if I had to look to how bad it was when I injured it ... and to see all the small improvements. Also to remember how much tissue damage was done and how great the injury really was plus all the additional trauma from the surgery and the rod and screws insertion, etc. Focus on the little steps until you can take big ones.

This too shall pass (even if it seems like forever).

Enough with the platitudes. Heal quickly.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankletwister View Post
I never had a cast. They had me in a bandage after the surgery that I had on until my first post-op follow up appointment. They took that off and put on a light wrap around the wound where the bone came through the skin (otherwise I think I wouldn't have had any bandage at all) and took out the stitches from where the pins and rod were inserted. Never got a boot - nothing. Most I got was a gauze wrap - then when I went back 2 weeks after that they took it off and put on a band-aid (I kid you not!). I decided it was something to laugh about - had hoped to have a cast and at least have something to show for it all and instead I get a bandaid. The rod provides the structural strength on the inside that a cast would provide on the outside so I think that's why they don't do the casts - plus all the swelling would be really horrible if there was a cast on it. My thoughts.
That's great to hear. I would have dreaded if the doctors put a cast though. Then I would have difficulty bathing!

Initially when I first had the bandage, I dared not shower because I am afraid the bandage would get wet and something bad would happen to the stitches inside. So I only wiped myself everyday, for 2 weeks!

Now I'm already into the 3rd week of recovery, and I'm glad that the scabs from the stitches are falling off and my leg is getting its look back! Could also put 2 feets flat on the ground while sitting down!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 18,991 times
Default Tib / Fib

Hi I'm new here

On Oct 28 2009 I slipped off a tree stand ladder and exploded my tib / fid pilon fracture. ext. fixator 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 13 screws. Second surgery Nov.19th plates & screws first x-ray Jan 5th still non-weight bearing . Next os apt. March 2nd. I'm using a bone stimulator ( Smith & Nephew ) 20 min a day no cast I'm in a boot.
I'm a 52 year old non smoking male excellent physical condition. How long does this take? Thanks

Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hunter View Post
Hi I'm new here

On Oct 28 2009 I slipped off a tree stand ladder and exploded my tib / fid pilon fracture. ext. fixator 2 surgeries, 2 plates, 13 screws. Second surgery Nov.19th plates & screws first x-ray Jan 5th still non-weight bearing . Next os apt. March 2nd. I'm using a bone stimulator ( Smith & Nephew ) 20 min a day no cast I'm in a boot.
I'm a 52 year old non smoking male excellent physical condition. How long does this take? Thanks
I suppose it'll take more than 2 months definitely?

Meanwhile consume plenty of water everyday, and eat healthy. Eat foods rich in calcium and Vitamin C.

Wish you recover fast!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 24,201 times
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how long after physical therapy started were they able to walk? I've started my own pt at home (can't afford professional pt). I've looked up pt on the web and it seems to help with the tightness quite a bit but walking motions on a walker with some weight on my foot tells me I may have a long way to go. I'm scared I'm not going to be able to walk for a long time!

Had surgery Dec 9, 2009.
Cast nwb 6 weeks
Cam boot for 2 weeks nwb (per OS instructions)
Cam boot 50%, start pt, then progress to fwb in 4 weeks (per OS instructions)

Its been one week since I started my own pt. Maybe I'm worrying too much. Does anyone have any experience with my type of injury?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 AM

Chinara

Both Langston University and OU Health Sciences downtown OKC have DPT (Doctorial Physical Therapy) programs. You might give them a call they can always use volunteers.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 AM

Thanks Infernosian I'm just ready to get on with life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness