Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 88,482 times

Advertisements

So I went to see my Orthopedic Surgeon today and he wished me well and said he didn't need to seem me again, unless I have problems.

The only worry I have is he said a lot of people with my kind of damage end up getting ankle fusion after 10 years or so, though in my case it might be longer.

I take some solace in what my physiotherapist said, namely that orthopods always tell you the worst possible thing that could happen.

On the bright side, I see that ankle replacement is becoming more common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 PM

19 posts, read 57,528 times
Mingybear, perhaps continuing to wear a stirrup for long walks and strenuous exercise would relieve wear and tear on your ankle. Ankle replacement? That's hopeful, but I've never heard of such a procedure. I'm a little over 4 months post-op, and I'm walking without a limp for the most part. I was discharged from physical therapy today. My therapist said I'll always be more suspectible to sprains on the side of my ankle where the incision is. She told me to continue wearing the stirrup for long walks, etc. She also said it would probably be a couple of months before I could run. I really appreciate all her help. It was a tough process, but well worth it. I see the surgeon next week. He should have more information for me.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 PM

Anyone had a permanent limitation in plantar flexion? If so, how did it affect your activities? Thanks.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM

4 months post-op after surgery for broken tibia and fibula. 2 plates and 12 screws. Released from PT. Just saw the surgeon. He said I was doing well, the bones have healed, and the breaks are no longer visible on the x-rays. He said to continue working on gaining ROM and strength. No running or jumping for another couple of months at least. Have an appointment to check in at the one-year anniversary of the surgery. Whew. I know I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but it's nice to know I've come this far.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,357 times
Well I messed my feb n tib up bad got a huge ex fix in my leg I stay in pain n I gotta stop smoking I been in this thing for 3 months n my bones haven't heal right yet my doctor says it's due to my excessive smoking I'm on so much for pain I take diladids loracets Percocets man I got a pharmacy next appt is in aug hopefully it comes out then

Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,351 times
Hi , I found this site and thought I'd join and try and contribute
On may 16th 2011 I was tarping a load of lumber on my truck in North Carolina. I was at the edge ,at the front corner and lost my grip on the tarp and slipped and ended up falling to the ground. After being sent to the hospital down there , This is were I found out how serious the damage was . I ended up with 9 breaks on my tibia and fibula bones , and some shattering in my ankle . they installed an external fixation and kept me there for 4 days before I came home to Ontario Canada. What a difference in health care , Wish ours was half as good .
Later today ,I go for my 2 week post op consultation with the surgean . I have plates on both bones and counted 19 pins from the picture of the x ray , didn't get a picture of the ankle . I was wondering if anyone here has sustained a break like this and what am I in for , and if I would be able to go back to driving a truck with no pain , or should I be thinking of a different career .

Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Bigtruck

I don't know how your break compares to mine, but it sounds similar. I have 2 plates and 16 screws (which is I figure what you mean when you say pins). My break is just above the ankle.

I have never driven a 'big rig' but my normal car is a Toyota Tundra with a 6 speed manual transmission and a fairly stiff clutch. I drove it 3 months after my break and it wasn't easy. Five months after the break I drive it from time to time, and its getting better, but it isn't pleasant at all.

It probably depends on how stiff the clutch is on a big rig and how you work it. I tend to work my clutch with my toes, and it isn't fun.

Of course, a lot depends on the specifics of your break, how you heal, whether you do the physio, etc..

By the way - I am in Ontario, and I have nothing but praise for how all the medical professionals treated me here. They did a great job and I can't complain about any part of their treatment.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
Hi, My 13yr old son broke his Tib & Fib playing Rugby League just under 2 weeks ago. He was taken to emergency where they sedated him and rotated his ankle back to being upright etc. X-ray's showed it was still not aligned properly so they went into theatre the next day and just manipulated it and stuck it in a fibreglass cast. 24 hours later still not happy so they cut the cast and put a wedge in which put it into a position that they were realtively happy with but it was still very unstable. He was discharged from hospital after 4 days and sent home to elevate and rest, no school and not too much movement.
Yesterday, 1 week after discharge we went back to the fracture clinic and ortho has said that it hasn't moved so he wants to leave it to heal itself up, have to go back next week for another x-ray and this will probably be a weekly occurance for a while. If it moves at all then they will go in and pin it etc.
Bones were very splintered and shattered at the break site and the spiral fracture of the Tibia reaches up towards his knee and down towards his ankle. He is in a full thigh to toe cast.
MY MAIN QUESTION though is... his second toe is burning and really sensitive to touch. It is the only thing that is causing him any pain at all, since coming home from hospital on day 4 he is only on nurofen and paracetamol and even then only spasmodically up till 2 days ago when the toe become an issue. I mentioned the toe to the ortho yesterday and he said it was a swelling issue and when the swelling went down it would go away, but it is getting worse not better.
Has anybody experienced the same thing or have any thoughts, I was thinking nerve damage but I really have no idea, this is our first ever major break as a family, and hopefully our last :P

Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Too Young
I don't know enough to answer but you really have to watch out for infection. There may be a circulation issue also. You might consider a second opinion even from a GP

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Too Young, I assume he was told to elevate his leg. Is that correct? How has he been doing in that regard? Elevating my leg really helped with swelling. I also used ice packs around the cast sometimes. I was concerned about nerve damage, though, when I noticed part of my heel had gone numb. My doctor said it would likely go away when I regained strength in my leg. He was right. It's gone. I hope your son is feeling better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness