Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:44 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times

Advertisements

After years of bleeding, I am over it. I am nearly 56, so well past the childbearing age, and not going into menopause on my own. I see my Gyno next week. I have been given Provera a few times a year in the hopes it will kick me into menopause, but has not. I am frightened of hospitals and do not like being knocked out at all. Being overweight doctors do not want to do surgery on me if they do not have to. I am wondering if anyone has had a hysterectomy where they did it through the vagina and did not cut you open. How long were you in the hospital? How painful was it? How long did it take to recover? My understanding is that they can remove everything except the cervix, is that correct? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times
I had a hysterectomy at age 28. I opted for the surgeon to cut me. I like them to poke around and see any and everything. I also told him to take the ovaries. When I first woke up,while being put back onto the bed in my hospital room, I was VERY sore. However they are very good about handing out pain meds. My incision was/is like a smiley -so it wasn't up and down. The sureon did remove my cervix. He,however left the ovaries and I was pissssssssssssssssed. Ended up having to go back into surgery 5 months later to have the damn ovaries removed afterall.
I think the most important thing,after surgery, is move about as often as possible. It will hurt like hell at first. But I must have made a thousand walks up and down the hospital hall. I think my stay was 3 days, but that could have been due to a slight fever I had. Once I got home I was not supposed to do much as I still had staples in my stomach. I did manage to move around a lot though. Walk,walk,walk was the key to getting better. Although I did rest as needed.
You'll need to decide if you want HRT too. I opted for it and the surgeon gave me a shot right away so I wasn't thrust into menopause symptoms(or so he said)
Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds. Talk to your doc about the HRT.
My sister had a hysterectomy soon after I and she opted for that blind surgery(through the vagina). She had multiple issues after her surgery..........so I can't endorse that one. My aunt had a BAD experience with the blind surgery. Don't let them talk you into keeping the ovaries!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
After years of bleeding, I am over it. I am nearly 56, so well past the childbearing age, and not going into menopause on my own. I see my Gyno next week. I have been given Provera a few times a year in the hopes it will kick me into menopause, but has not. I am frightened of hospitals and do not like being knocked out at all. Being overweight doctors do not want to do surgery on me if they do not have to. I am wondering if anyone has had a hysterectomy where they did it through the vagina and did not cut you open. How long were you in the hospital? How painful was it? How long did it take to recover? My understanding is that they can remove everything except the cervix, is that correct? Thanks for any info.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:41 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
I had a hysterectomy after my childbearing years because of huge fibroids. I couldn't walk from one end of the house to the other without soaking through because of bleeding and looked six months pregnant. My periods had always been excruciatingly painful, diarrhea, vomiting, felt like my blood was boiling through my whole body, unable to get off the bathroom floor for hours. Difficult to go anywhere or plan on being away from home in anticipation on both counts.

I had the cut from naval on down and the surgeon also suggested they take the ovaries so as not to have to go in later possibly. Being knocked out isn't nearly as scary as being rolled into the operating room before they do it. Fortunately you aren't awake long. Afterwords in the hospital I was offered self administered morphine using a push button but was able to get away only using a couple of tylenol. The pain was only a bit worse than my usual periods and really only bad for the first 24 hours, akin to childbirth pain and mine was natural and lasted for a week. I was sitting up as soon as I woke up and able to sit indian style which actually seemed to help for some reason. I had the 'happy patch' too but only for a couple of years.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
Your gyne has done an endometrial biopsy and confirmed that you have "dysfunctional uterine bleeding" and are a candidate for hysterectomy? I opted for an abdominal hysterectomy and did ok. Since I was only 38, I did NOT have my ovaries out - bad idea, unless they are diseased or one is menopause-age, which at 56, you are. Do have a frank discussion with your gynecologist about this and much luck to you.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I had one back in 2000, I was about 26 years old. I actually had mine done in a medical center, believe it or not. I would not recommend this. The dr convinced me it would be fine, they have a crash cart, close to a hospital if anything happened, etc.

Everything went well. I had the surgery and was in recovery and was home a few hours later hyped up on drugs and walking around in the front yard. I felt fine I told everyone!

Of course I did, I was on drugs! This is where I should have been in the hospital overnight or something.

The dr thought I had endometriosis sp? and it turned out I did not, but something close to it.

The thing with my diagnosis is this. A good part of the symptoms that I had prior to the surgery remained after the surgery. The greatest of which was painful intercourse.

This leads me to believe it was a bit in my mind. I did not care if I ever did it again. When my husband and I separated, that changed.

I did care, and it doesn't hurt. I think it was he who was the factor in the painful intercourse, unfortunately.

So, now, nine years later and one less uterus, still within child bearing years, I can no longer do that.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 PM

37 posts, read 70,937 times
Mine was when i was 22 yrs old. they also removed my cervix thanks to cancerous cells. My son was 10 1/2 lbs emergency hysterectomy not to be to graphic but everything down there was now 1. Due to rectocyle cystocyle and hystocyle

Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 PM

I have a couple of smaller fibroids seen on a internal ultrasound. I have also had 2 endometrial biopsies an d they showed hyperplasia, which can lead to cancer in time. He has been hoping with my age and the Provera that I would go into menopause on my own and not require surgery, but that has not happened.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
I was told I needed a hysterectomy in 1998 because of fibroids, I have seven, but here I am 2009, no hysterectomy and now in menopause. I got a second opinion and did my research, ALWAYS get that second opinion!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 PM

The fibroids are not why I am bleeding, it is the hyperplasia. I do not have a hangup about getting a hysterectomy, geez I am almost 56, have 4 kids and 7 pregnancies. I am looking for people who have had hysterectomies through their vagina, not major surgery and want to know their experiences.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 03-27-2009 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-28-2009, 04:29 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
Quote:

You really should google Her's Foundation and read what they have to say. I would suggest your not having your ovaries removed if you don't have to do so. Often women who have total or complete hysterectomies lose their sex drive. If you don't mind this then don't worry about that aspect of it. They can remove the cervix also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness