Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

Those things can happen and be idopathic in nature (meaning no known cause) I grew out of them as kid. You should make a list of things you have been exposed to or working conditions in the past few years. I would also go to a doctor that is on the natural side of things to talk about a detox program after you have the free and clear from your western doctor. I don't think MRIs are a big deal. I thought cat scans were scary going into that tube and the huge banging like you are about to be shot into space.

I wish you well and get it all figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
That was an MRI, not a CT scan if it was a long tube. CT machines are round and not long at all. The banging is also typical of an MRI machine.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I had my first seizure as an adult, at age 29. In my case it was sparked by pregnancy, but in the end they never really did figure out for sure what was wrong, as I had a few more post-delivery. So don't let the adult onset get you too worried, as it doesn't necessarily mean anything. There's so much people don't know, but at the same time, there's also a lot they do know and will be able to tell you in a couple of weeks. I agree with some of the others that it's a bad idea to try to self-diagnose, especially this early in the game (I do it, too, though). Good luck, and try to keep busy while you're waiting.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
My wife and I both have the "body twitch seizures" as we're about to fall asleep. I have one about every night; she has them less often. I mentioned it to my doctor once, and he didn't seem concerned about it. As I recall he said many people have them.

Not to alarm you (this shouldn't), but I do have a brain tumor. At one time it was huge, but meds (and surgery) have reduced it to the size of a pinhead. But because of it I've had dozens of MRIs. They're noisy but relaxing to me. I nearly fall asleep several times during the procedure -- then they wake me with those darned headsets to tell me it'll be a few more minutes, etc.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
..I didn't accept the headphones I was offered and in hindsight they would have made closing my eyes and ignoring the whole process much easier which would have helped me relax quicker.
I tried the headphones and it made me even more claustrophobic because it made my head fit tighter in the tube.

But, even without the headphones, I couldn't take it, and made the technician get me out.

What finally worked for me was two Valiums about 20 minutes before the test.

And, a towel over my eyes so I couldn't peek and freak myself out when I was in the tube.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
MRI's are not hard to do. If you are claustrophobic, your dr may give you something to ease you.

There is loud knocking noise and the technician will talk you through the whole thing.

I have had countless MRI's throughout my lifetime for Epilepsy and Migraines.

I think there may be the possibility that the procedure would pick up something that the CT scan did not because when I was in the ER back in January they did a CT but then my Neurologist wanted them to do the MRI in case the ct didn't pick something up.

With an MRI there are different ways they do it. The pictures will look different.

Take for instance you have an MRI of the sinuses vs. an Mri of the brain. Both are of the head but will look totally different.

If I were you I would want to go through with the MRI to get this all figured out. I have had seizures since I was 11 years old and it is no fun.

Medication can make life a little easier.

You also need to think about this.... Are you driving? If you are having seizures you should not be driving. In the area I live in, if someone has a seizure, you must go 6 mos without driving and every year your dr needs to fill out medical forms to send the the dmv.

Good luck with it all!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My wife and I both have the "body twitch seizures" as we're about to fall asleep. I have one about every night; she has them less often. I mentioned it to my doctor once, and he didn't seem concerned about it. As I recall he said many people have them.

Not to alarm you (this shouldn't), but I do have a brain tumor. At one time it was huge, but meds (and surgery) have reduced it to the size of a pinhead. But because of it I've had dozens of MRIs. They're noisy but relaxing to me. I nearly fall asleep several times during the procedure -- then they wake me with those darned headsets to tell me it'll be a few more minutes, etc.
Thoise twitches, and twitching in sleep are classic indicators of obstructive sleep apnea. Many docs don't really know much about it. I used to twitch and dream I was falling down but it was really my brain telling my body to wake up and breathe. You could do an overnight sleep oximetry, where you wear a thing on you finger, connected to a small computer. They download it in the morning and it tells your doctor your oxygen level and heart rate while you were sleeping. Many people stop breathing for a micro minute at least 50 times an hour. You just can't feel rested. It is also a risk factor for stroke and heart issues.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
You can still drive if you have seizures (depending on circumstances); I don't drive, so have never needed to worry about it, but I don't think the temporary driving restriction relates to all seizures, or maybe it just varies state-by-state. Ask your doctor if you're worried, but some twitches when you're falling asleep don't necessarily even mean medication, let alone driving restrictions.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
My wife has had epilepsy (sp?) since age 14 (she is 25 now) and she has to get Doctor permission to drive every 6 months. Trust me, what I have is nowhere in the same league lol. These are simply a split-second twitch that happens only when I am nodding off to sleep at night (maybe once or twice every few weeks). I am completely fine to drive .

Appreciate all of the responses. Am supposed to get a call tomorrow or Tuesday to schedule the MRI. I will update after which, for better or worse. Hopefully better.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I had an MRI. Maybe it was the scared look the person in charge saw in my eyes, plus the machine had been malfunctioning; but they put a towel over my entire face and told me to pretend I was in a spa. It worked, plus I was praying through the entire thing. "God please help me stay calm and not go berserk." The person giving the test told me I was the calmest person he had ever given the test to.

We have had the seizure experience at our home. My husband is the one I have called 911 twice about. After the second one, I realized he had several of them during his sleep before one night I was awake enough to know something was wrong. I found a lot of information on the Mayo Clinic Website. The doctors have come around to believeing his is sleep related, since it so far has only happened at night.

About the driving, several different laws are in many different states. We will be going through several states on vacation in December and just to be legal, I will be checking with the driving laws of every state we will pass through. He is really a better driver than I am, but some states have laws about driving after a seizure. Luckily our state is one where the doctor determines whether he is safe. He told us that this is only happening at night, and most people do not drive in their sleep. LOL

http://www.mayoclinic.com/ There is an abc list for you to check the disease you want. I tried s for seizure and it sent me on to the right kind of seizure.

Last edited by NCN; 08-30-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness