Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thin and overweight women hate me for it. I'm 5'7" and my weight fluctuates between 124-126 lbs. I'm thin because I don't overeat. Those who hate me for that, you know who you are. You're the person who swears they can't lose weight. That it's genetic and therefore not your fault. Your mom and dad are fat, so that made you fat.

Fact is, I come from a fat family, but I've never been fat. My mom is fat. My sister is fat. My aunts and uncles and grandparents and cousins and nieces and nephews -- all weigh more than they should, some of them a LOT more.

My friends look at me and say "Every time I see you, you're eating! How do you stay so thin?" Yes, it may seem like I eat all day long, but the bottom line is that I'm not going over my daily maintenance calories. Oh, I may go over one day, but I won't the next day, so over the week it really evens out. Do you even know what your maintenance calories are? Have you ever tracked your daily intake in a notebook for a month, and seen what you eat?

While the fat woman next to me is grabbing a bag of chips and a soda from the vending machine, I may also be eating some chips -- but not the whole bag. A vending machine bag of chips is two snacks for me, not a half a snack, and I'm drinking water or 100% fruit juice without any added sugar. If I'm drinking soda, a 12-oz can is all I have, and I will sip at that for several hours. I don't go down to the quickie mart and get a 64-oz big gulp. And a lot of the time my snacks are yogurt, fruit, salad, or vegetables.

While the guy across from me is eating pizza, I may also be eating pizza, but it won't be the meat-lovers supreme like his, it will be something with veg on it and if it has meat it will be half the normal amount that is normally put on a pizza. Plus, a pizza will be multiple meals for me, not one meal.

When I have chicken for dinner, it will be grilled, not battered and fried, and I'll have a good portion of veg on the side with it. I don't sit down and eat half a container of Ben & Jerry's, I'll have several bites and put it away. A carton of ice cream lasts me several weeks.

I never go to the grocery store while I'm hungry, because I buy junk food then. If I don't buy it, it's not in the house and I'm not pigging out on it, and I'm not going to make a special run to the store just to get chips and dip.

I cook most of my meals, rather than eating packaged pre-prepared food. I drink more water than soda, though I do still have a soda or two every day. I just don't drink the whole sixpack. A sixpack lasts me almost a week.

I don't clean my plate simply because there's food on it. If I'm full, I quit eating. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat for the mere pleasure of eating. I don't search for the closest parking space, I park and walk. Walking isn't going to hurt you. I take the stairs instead of the elevator. I walk my dog every evening. I exercise 30 minutes a day three to five times a week.

I wear the same size I did when I graduated from high school 30 years ago. I've had two children. I'm well into the middle-aged-spread zone for weight gain. And yet, here I am, still thin. You cheer at the sight of fat models coming down the runway, claiming "Those are REAL WOMEN!" as if us thin women are just plastic blow-up dolls without brains. They may be 'real women' but they're also fat, which is absolutely unhealthy. Sure, thin people can be unhealthy too, but the incidence is a lot higher in fat people.

Except for a very low percentage of people who may have a legitimate medical issue that prevents them from weight loss, almost all of you fat people are fat because you eat too much, period. There are many studies supporting this.

US Obesity Due To Over Eating, Study

I'm thin because I don't eat too much. If you think that's a legitimate reason to be angry at me, then go for it. Haters gonna hate. You go on being fat, and die 20 years earlier than I do. Meanwhile, I'll be in my bikini on the beach, drinking a mai tai and being hit on by men 30 years younger than me.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Ok... is there an overall point to this thread? Hooray for you? Are you trying to motivational, or overly critical? Is this just to primp up your image of yourself?

I agree, that people tend to make excuses about weight and what not. I have lost 43 lbs as of yesterday (from 207-164), in a period of 7 months. But, I don't really understand the need for this thread, unless you have something that others can at least debate about, much less trying to understand why you are bragging about yourself. For someone who is middle age, you sure seem rather immature.

Ian

Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Good for you. What's your point?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Step over to the darkside....

Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I don't get the point of this thread at all either.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Umm ok. Well thank you for schooling us. Feel better now?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM

90 posts, read 219,789 times
I sort of understand part of OP's point. People who are thin are often ridiculed by heavier people. Unfortunately, it is okay and even fashionable to make fun of thin people.

A lot of people work hard at maintaining their weight, but many people think all thin people are naturally thin. I am similar in size to OP. I hear all the time about how I wouldn't understand weight issues because I can "eat anything." It can be frustrating for me at times. People have no idea how many times I refuse a milk shake (or other snack) I desire because of the calorie content. I eat a range of foods, but I keep the portions small. I do not drink my calories. I exercise. It is a concerted effort for most people to remain thin.

My 13 year old daughter gets called "anorexic" by her chubby classmates and their parents (ridiculous!). It really hurts her feelings. She is a normal weight/height ratio.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Oh wow. I am embarrassed for you Mercury"cougar". You sound like an insecure junior high school girl.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,586 times
I too am thin, middle aged. I'm 5'6" and weight 134, the same thing I weight in high school. I am sick of hearing from others that I am too skinny and "need to eat". I am sick of hearing that I get cold at work because I am too skinny ( the fat people blast the air conditioner in the cold weather even). The problem is that everyone else around me is too fat. I finally got sick of it at work and told them this the other night when someone told me I was too thin. Everyone else was fat but me and one other girl. It is just as intolerable to pick on a thin person as it is to pick on a fat one. I don't understand it.... you don't even need a scale...... when your jeans get tight...... quit eating.... cut all food portions in half..... until your jeans fit right again. You don't go out and buy a bigger size of jeans.... it's simple really. That is my take on weight control.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Sounds like someone needs to download the Get A Life app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.