Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,495 times

Advertisements

About 2 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with a large (7mm) kidney stone, which was revealed through a cat scan. Since then, basically nothing has happened and the only symptom (blood in urine) has gone away. I have absolutely no pain and haven't had any pain at all.

I go back to the urulogist for a 2nd time tomorrow, and I'm going to ask him the same question. But I'm wondering does a kidney stone always need to be treated? Will it continue to get larger? I know it seems a bit foolish not to deal with it but I just have no symptoms of this at all and I have zero pain or discomfort.

Not looking to hear horror stories about others kidney stone experiences (believe me, I've heard enough in the 2 weeks since I discovered I have one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
You should be ok. It may have passed without your knowing it if you are a woman. I had several rounds with stones and they usually won but during my last X-ray there were over a dozen that showed. The dr said I may never have any problems with them and so far, four years later, he is right. I don't know if they are still there or not but I have been just fine.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,914 times
As long as it doesn't move, you'll probably be OK, but if it starts to move, you'll definitely know it.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I have a lot of experience with my ex-husband and this issue. He has battled kidney stones for several years. He never had one his whole life and then got his first in his late 40's and now at 57 still gets them yearly. He was fine when the stone was just floating around his kidney, but if it lodged at the entrance to the tube leading out of the kidney and blocked it, that could become an emergency as it would block urine from leaving the kidney. It is also possible that the stone could enter that tube and continue all the way through and out or become lodged somewhere along the line. With his first stone he ended up going into the hospital on an outpatient basis and they zapped it into smaller pieces with a laser. That was not as simple as it sounded as all those pieces had to still pass, it was also very expensive. After that he began trying to endure the pain and ever since they have all passed, and some of them were pretty large. It took anywhere from weeks to months and a lot of pain and some bleeding before that happened. Because of the cost of the laser surgery he continue to endure the pain and so far they have all passed. He ends up taking pain pills and using a heating pad on his back and drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
IMO, smaller stones will probably pass on their own. I'd be nervous about ignoring a 7mm stone for too long, although you can probably get away with ignoring it for a short while. Blasting a stone before it becomes an emergency situation is much better than blasting it after it becomes an emergency.

If you are about to travel for an extended time or you think you might lose your job in another year (and thus your insurance) I'd go ahead and get it taken care of now.

Meanwhile, drink lots and lots of water and add lemon juice. Sounds like an old wives tale, I know, but it works.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,793 times
A friend of mine also had a kidney stone. He ended up just drinking tons of water and it must of passed as he hasn't had a problem since. I'm sure not all are that simple, but he didn't have insurance and didn't have much of a choice. Lucklily it hasn't come back.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Your friend is tough as nails, or he had a small stone. A stone looks like a sand spur, and it is passing through some very sensitive areas before you pass it. I think it is possible to pass it on your own, but than there is the question of infection, and bleeding which make me think it is best to go get a doctor to check you out.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
A person can have a stone floating around in their kidney a long time. They are very painful to have and more painful to pass.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Best for your doctor to give you advise. My dad had kidney stones every six months like clockwork for 40 years. That was before lasers.

He had several surgeries where they cut into his side, about a 12 inch scar, to remove stones that wouldn't move and were causing trouble. More often if one did start to move he'd have to go in and have a cystiscope (a small tube inserted into the penis) which widened the area towards the bladder and would help move the stones along. Not sure if they still use these techniques.

Needless to say he spent a lot of time on heavy duty pain killers.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
About 2 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with a large (7mm) kidney stone, which was revealed through a cat scan. Since then, basically nothing has happened and the only symptom (blood in urine) has gone away. I have absolutely no pain and haven't had any pain at all.
I'm not a doctor but it sounds like you passed it. I have a friend that passed one in the emergency room from drinking a lot of water. A person usually has a lot of pain which doesn't subside until it is passed. I guess you will find out soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness