Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had this?

It's similar to Carpal Tunnel but instead of the median nerve affecting the thumb, pointer and middle fingers, it's the Ulnar nerve and affects the ring/pinky fingers.

I started last week with a strange tingling in my pinky. Over a two day period it moved into the ring finger. Someone mentioned that it could be Carpal Tunnel but when I read about it I learned that the fingers affected meant it was either Cubital or possibly Guyons Canal syndrome. I don't have elbow pain so it could be Guyons.

I'm seeing my orthopaedist next week but am wondering what has worked for others who have suffered from this.

The tingling has turned into an almost constant numbness in the pinky and it occasionally flares into really intense pins and needles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times
I haven't heard of Guyon's Canal, but what you're describing sounds exactly like my cubital tunnel syndrome. I also don't have elbow pain, but that's where the nerve impingement is, according to my hand surgeon. It gets especially bad at night (I'm a side sleeper) and it flared up badly when I first started using the tread mill with my hands locked on the hand sensors.

OK, I just read up on Guyon's Canal syndrome and the two sound very very similar. With Guyon's, the nerve impingement happens in the wrist. With Cubital Tunnel, it happens in the elbow. Since mine generally happens at night when I'm lying on that side, I think cubital tunnel is what I have, but I don't know about you.

A hand surgeon would be able to help you best. It's good not to let these things go too long because nerve damage can happen. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Cmac! My appointment is Tuesday and the doc is one of the best around- he's an all around ortho but does hand surgery and has treated several friends and relatives.

What really scared me was the potential nerve damage that can occur rather quickly. I'm not a total side sleeper but I do sometimes- but on my right side and this numbness is on the left. I bought a CT glove to keep my wrist straight when I sleep but it hasn't let up.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Try arnica montana 30CC...(can be found in healthfood stores)
And some tiger balm

Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Great. Thank you pitt!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,845 times
Pirate girl....how are you now? I was just diagnosed with Guyons canal syndrom and have surgery scheduled friday! I am nervous andwonder how you were treated and if it was successful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness