Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:27 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
I don't know if i am.I was certainly drinking too much though.So i'm not drinking at all now.Anybody care to discuss the issue? Went looking for a thread and didn't find one,so i figured i'd start one and see what happens.I do know i'm a nicotine addict and need to address that forever.I'd never be able to quit cigs while drinking beer.For me it would be like trying to eat pancakes without syrup.
So jump in while your drinking and smoking or not.

I, myself, had a drinking problem. If you drink alcohol beverages frequently, yes, you are an alcoholic. And if you can't stop at just 1-2 drinks, then you are a binge drinking alcoholic (yes, even 1 time a week of binge drinking is considered alcoholism). That's what I used to be, a binge drinker.

There's different types of alcoholics (ones who have to have a drink everyday, the 1-2 time a week binge drinker, and the secret drinker who only drinks alone at home). These are all types of alcoholics.

So, if you aren't drinking at all right now, that's great. I can't even have 1, because it will make me drink more (like eating a bag of chips. Once you start you just can't stop). It can be a really bad problem.

How is your behavior when you have a few drinks in you? Do you blackout (loss of memory)? Do you get mean and angry after a few? Do you stumble a lot after a few? Do friends and family members don't like you when you drink? Have people talked bad about you because of your drinking? If you said yes to these, yes, you are an alcoholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:31 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
So far no beers.I had an urge though.Being that its friday and all.So i got some ale.

Any kind of drink, with alcohol in it, is considered booze. Even ale. You really need to try not to touch any kind of drink that contains alcohol in it. Yes! Wine, wine coolers, and spritzers count. They are all booze.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM

212 posts, read 699,832 times
[quote=brubaker;11011987]Defining 'an alcoholic' is not a useful way to address problem drinking in my honest opinion.
People, esp AA people in my limited experience, love to mythologize being an alcoholic like it's some selective club you aren't allowed into.

People either have a bad habit of drinking when they don't want to or they don't...splitting hairs about whether someone IS or ISN'T 'X' is besides the point.

If you are doing something you don't want to do...then you have a problem and need to work on ways to stop.

Period.[/quote

I like your response brubaker.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
So you drank You need to keep trying then. Unless I am mistaken ale is drinking. Beer and wine count.

I knocking back some schweppes ginger ale.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I, myself, had a drinking problem. If you drink alcohol beverages frequently, yes, you are an alcoholic. And if you can't stop at just 1-2 drinks, then you are a binge drinking alcoholic (yes, even 1 time a week of binge drinking is considered alcoholism). That's what I used to be, a binge drinker.

There's different types of alcoholics (ones who have to have a drink everyday, the 1-2 time a week binge drinker, and the secret drinker who only drinks alone at home). These are all types of alcoholics.

So, if you aren't drinking at all right now, that's great. I can't even have 1, because it will make me drink more (like eating a bag of chips. Once you start you just can't stop). It can be a really bad problem.

How is your behavior when you have a few drinks in you? Do you blackout (loss of memory)? Do you get mean and angry after a few? Do you stumble a lot after a few? Do friends and family members don't like you when you drink? Have people talked bad about you because of your drinking? If you said yes to these, yes, you are an alcoholic.

Thanks linajo76.Good post.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 PM

65 posts, read 191,915 times
I think it is a hard question because so many alcoholics are "functioning", i.e. they have jobs, higher degrees, kids, yet every night the have a few glasses of wine. They think as long as they are "functioning" they are not alcoholics.

I know that most alcoholics have relatives who started providing them with alcohol at a very young age, like 10 to 15. My grandmother started giving me wine w/7up when I was 10 and my whole life has been a struggle and a very painful one too. I swear if anyone gives either of my kids alcohol before they are 21 I will see them in jail. My husband's uncle started getting him drunk when he was 12, and so together we have struggled. Why the h would anybody do that to a kid?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
I think people are too quick to label somebody an alcoholic. If it is not causing problems in your life, you probably are not an alcoholic.

I don't buy the drinking alone at home meaning one is an alcoholic. It is much safer to enjoy a drink at home than it is to go out. I am much less likely to drink when I go out because I have to drive myself home usually. I don't go out and drink coffee either, I drink that at home even when I am by myself.

I agree that binge drinking is definitely a bad thing. Drinking for the sake of getting smashed is not good, I am not sure that makes somebody a full blown alcoholic, but it is abuse of alcohol nonetheless and dangerous territory.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Totally agreed, DixieChick.

It's ok to drink booze because it tastes good, you like the effects, to wind down, even because it's a social ritual.

If you can drink two glasses of wine... EVERY NIGHT... in the safety of your own home, you're not an alcoholic. In fact, you're not even a hard drinker.

Hard drinkers like to binge and get drunk too. And yes, they can get just as dead and just as thrown in jail if they get killed/kill someone driving drunk. Hard drinkers can even die of complications related to or triggered by alcohol and not even be an alcoholic. If they really really really have to/want to/ are forced to put down the drink or moderate, they can. The alky cannot.

I'll say it again; can't control the stop once started and can't control the start once stopped. That's an alky.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically a doctor will tell you tha anyone who drinks more than two drinks a day has a problem with alcohol. That is why they will always ask if you smoke or drink more than two drinks a day.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I was forced to go to 15 AA meetings by the state for getting a DUI. They told me some interesting information. I know this sounds crazy, but here goes. They told me an 80 year old man could be an alcoholic, even know he has never had even one alcoholic drink in his life. It did not make sense to me until they explained it. Being an alcoholic has to do with how alcohol affects you. Alcohol affects an alcoholic differently than normal people. They are said I am most likely NOT an alcoholic. Regardless, I am a problem drinker nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness