Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 PM

64 posts, read 141,599 times

Advertisements

I would like your opinion......
We have a 5 year old daughter that has asthma. In the last month she's had flu like symptoms (fever, vomiting, diarreah)three times and her asthma has been very active. We're in the US and we usually don't have these issues until January/February.
One of my husbands co-workers sons came down with H1N1 last week.
Our daughter was given the first H1N1 shot 2 weeks ago and will get the second one Friday of next week, if available.
We spoke with the American CDC who advised it takes for 2 weeks for the shot to begin working.
So, we are keeping her from school until 2 weeks after she gets the second shot.
We feel she needs to get the immunity we can give her right now before continuing to expose her to the unknown.
When I contacted the school principal, he sounded confused and was more concerned with ther academics than anything. I e-mailed with th teacher.......luckily I volunteer for her all the time, so she knows I mean business !
She was very pleasant and willing to send lesson plans home.
It was obvious that we are the only ones doing this....which shocks us, because all over the news all we see is pandemic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I think that you are taking the right path since your daughter has an underlying health issue. Too many parents send their kids to school when they are sick!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
What is more important? Her health or a couple of weeks off school...that she can make up...

Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Yes! You guys are right! That's why I am puzzled at the principles reaction...I truly feel like we're the only ones taking a stance on this! and really prtecting our daughter! Why? Are others not seeing what we're seeing?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella14 View Post
In the last month she's had flu like symptoms (fever, vomiting, diarreah)three times and her asthma has been very active. We're in the US and we usually don't have these issues until January/February.
One of my husbands co-workers sons came down with H1N1 last week.
Our daughter was given the first H1N1 shot 2 weeks ago and will get the second one Friday of next week, if available.
Are you sure your child has not already had H1N1?

If that second shot isn't available next Friday how long are you going to keep her out of school? The Flu season is barely underway and the medical establishment is already overwhelmed, when January/February gets here it's likely to be much more overwhelmed.

Assuming you are staying home with her why not look into home schooling?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
She's only 5 years old -- trust me, she isn't missing much. You can easily homeschool her. Its not hard at all -- its actually fun at that age. That's what I'd do.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 AM

mrc60: don't really know if she's had it or not. The local health dept gets shipments several times a week....so, if she doesn't get the shot next Friday, well then the next week sometime.
As of right now, we feel that we should give her the immunity she'll need.....which will kick in the first week.....then she'll go back to school.
Homeschooling will kick in when we feel the situation is reaching an overwhelming point....as you very well say: flu season hasn't even really started yet! So, after this step, we're going to play it by ear and tweak our needs as the situation develops.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
I'd keep her home. As a homeschooler, I am thankful that my kids are not in school... if they did go to school, I'd have a hard time sending them right now, and they don't even have any underlying health issues.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
mrc60: don't really know if she's had it or not.
Apparently many schools have been closing the last weeks because there is a lot of absenteeism; maybe yours will do the same and it won't be such a big issue. School is important; don't discount that but so is health and at her age there is always a sickness running around the school.

If you read the different posts on here the symptoms she has had seem inline with what other people are saying they are experiencing especially the come and go part of this illness.

I'm lucky; my youngest is in 7th grade so they understand what to do to stay healthy and since we've had flu before he knows he doesn't want to be that sick again.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
It was obvious that we are the only ones doing this....which shocks us, because all over the news all we see is pandemic!
First off, don't listen to the news. They're there to shock, scare, horrify, and dismay you all in the name of money. The "regular" flu kills way more people every year than the swine flu has even oinked about yet. The sheeple are just being paranoid.

Now...as far as your daughter goes, since she has asthma problems, I don't necessarily think you're overreacting to keep her home for now. I mean, it's kindergarten for pete's sake, not graduate school.

Just keep her up on her plans and it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness