Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

I just viewed a video on living to be 100. The video cites genes, diet, exercise and attitude as major contributing factors for living a long healthy life. What nobody ever suggests is that size might play a very important part in how long a person lives. Tall people die at a younger age far more often than short people and the shorter you are, combined with the other factors, can determine how far you'll get. Everyone I know who lived into their nineties were 5'8' or shorter and the shorter they were the father they got on average. My mother comes from a family of 14. The tallest of them died almost in direct proportion to their size--the taller men passed in their late 70's early 80's; the shortest lived from early 90's to 97 (the oldest, which suggests the earlier children get the better genes passed onto them); my mother is #9 and still here at 89; her next oldest sister just turned 91 but recently had a stroke. The five after my mother all passed within 4 year period from 2004-2008 and all of them were smokers, compared to just one in the upper eight, who passed in his early 70's of an burst aneurysm because he was the only heavy smoker in that group. Coincidentally, two of my mother's younger sisters who smoked heavily died of burst aneurysms in their mid-eighties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I just viewed a video on living to be 100. The video cites genes, diet, exercise and attitude as major contributing factors for living a long healthy life. What nobody ever suggests is that size might play a very important part in how long a person lives. Tall people die at a younger age far more often than short people and the shorter you are, combined with the other factors, can determine how far you'll get. Everyone I know who lived into their nineties were 5'8' or shorter and the shorter they were the father they got on average. My mother comes from a family of 14. The tallest of them died almost in direct proportion to their size--the taller men passed in their late 70's early 80's; the shortest lived from early 90's to 97 (the oldest, which suggests the earlier children get the better genes passed onto them); my mother is #9 and still here at 89; her next oldest sister just turned 91 but recently had a stroke. The five after my mother all passed within 4 year period from 2004-2008 and all of them were smokers, compared to just one in the upper eight, who passed in his early 70's of an burst aneurysm because he was the only heavy smoker in that group. Coincidentally, two of my mother's younger sisters who smoked heavily died of burst aneurysms in their mid-eighties.
guess I'm up a creek then being over 6' tall!

Honestly, I don't care how long I live, as long as the years I live count for something and have purpose. I'd rather die at 80 and have lived a full-life than drag on to 100 having needed round-the-clock care for the last 10-20 years of my life. If I can live to 100 and still be going strong, then awesome, but if not, I'm ok w/that. Guess part of it is my faith in knowing that this world is just a small blip in light of eternity!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM

a good attitude.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,040,080 times
Quote:
Living to 100
Jack LaLanne is currently age 95 . . hope he makes the century mark (and longer)!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,774 times
lol, not true in my family! my great grandfather lived to be 100 and he was about 6'3" but his wife, my great grandmother was a little lady, about 5'2 and she lived to 101. their daughter, my great aunt is still alive, she's 98 and about 5'8 and at the rate she's going i think she's easily going to make 100!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
I have always heard that tall people in general do not live as long as shorter people. Sucks for me--I am six feet and one-half inch tall.

My mom was 5'11" but has now shrunk to around 5'9". She will be 81 next week. Her mother died at 94 and had been 5'8", but was down to 5'2" or so by the time of her death, so I wonder if you get some time back as you shrink!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
The real secret to a long life:

Deu 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 PM

315 posts, read 776,854 times
Quote:
But short people ain't got no reason to live!
LMAO

Serious, it's natures way of allowing the short guy, who had to deal with all the problems assciated with being short his whole life, have the last laugh!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 AM

More than anything it has to do with the heart having to work less hard pumping blood to the extremes of the body. The taller you are the harder and more forcefully the heart has to pump every second of your life. Over 70 years for short people that's billions of beats less work so the heart can go an additional 20-30 years.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
But short people ain't got no reason to live!
LMAO

Serious, it's natures way of allowing the short guy, who had to deal with all the problems assciated with being short his whole life, have the last laugh!
Hey, I don't know about that! Seems to me the world is made for short people. We get back and neck problems from having to fit into cars and furniture made for people six inches shorter. Further, tall women are probably the most disciminated against in the clothing industry, not that it warrants a march on Washington or anything (although with 5'11" Michelle Obama in the White House, maybe we could get something done, lol). There are no stores for us--all shopping must be done by catalog or online. And I am talking about New York City--there was ONE shop that sold tall women's clothing in the entire city, and it has closed.

You can sometimes get tall slacks in certain stores, but that doesn't help with long-enough sleeves, waists that aren't four inches above the actual waist on the person, and tops that cover. Oh yeah, and short ladies, do not complain to me how you have to hem everything. That's easy--you can't make additional fabric appear!

OK, end of soapbox for tall women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness