Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I realize this is a very old thread but I had to mention that getting a mammogram is by no means the ONLY way to know for sure. I've had too many friends be told there was nothing showing up on the mammogram or even after a needle aspiration only to end up with breast cancer diagnosis after insisting on a biopsy. We should not rely so much on mammograms.
You mentioned that pap smears were very painful for you in the first post. I've only had two painful tests. Painful that I was clutching the sides of the exam table painful and I can't forget them. The others were just uncomfortable. We had to get one every year when I was in the military - over 20 years.

I wonder if there is an easier way to get this done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:02 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
If a Pap smear is truly painful, not just unpleasant, there is a reason for it and that alone justifies the exam, if not the smear itself.

It helps to keep in mind the reason for the Pap smear. It is to pick up precancerous conditions so they can be treated and cured before the cancer develops. We now know the vast majority of cervical, vaginal, and vulvar cancers are related to human papillomavirus infections. Because of that, gynecologists are moving toward testing for HPV infections as the primary screening tool.

New HPV Test Replacing Pap Smear to Detect Cervical Cancer in Women

Previous posters have covered some of this, but to summarize:

Women who have had hysterectomies for cervical abnormalities almost certainly have had a high risk HPV infection at some point (whether tested for HPV or not) and should continue to be screened for possible vaginal problems after their hysterectomies.

Women who have tested positive for high risk HPV before the hysterectomy, even if that was not the indication for surgery, should also continue to have screening.

Women who have the cervix conserved at hysterectomy are no different from the way they were before surgery and need continued screening.

Women who have never had a cervical abnormality or positive HPV test can stop screening altogether. However, even women who never have had any cervical problems should consider having regular examinations in order to monitor for other health problems, including breast and ovarian abnormalities.(non-cancerous oarian tumors exist, too). That exam is also an opportunity to check your blood pressure and look for things like osteoporosis. As women get older, the rectal exam becomes important.

How Often Should You Get the HPV Test? - theHPVtest.com

Women should have periodic health maintenance examinations even after a hysterectomy, with the need for a Pap or HPV screening individualized.

HPV vaccination has the potential to reduce cervical abnormalities due to HPV tremendously. Please vaccinate your children and vaccinate yourself if you are a candidate. A new vaccine is nearing approval which will cover even more strains of HPV: nine in total compared to four (Gardasil) or two (Cervarix).

HPV Vaccine: There

Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
why?What is there to look at? I'm 63 and it hurts like hell. why put myself thru that?
BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE A CERVIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's more to your "lady parts" than your uterus - do you still have your ovaries? Find out...and go to a doctor that takes care to make you comfortable for your exam.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE A CERVIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's more to your "lady parts" than your uterus - do you still have your ovaries? Find out...and go to a doctor that takes care to make you comfortable for your exam.
It is possible to leave the cervix behind when a hysterectomy is done, but most of the time it is removed with the uterus.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I remember my doctor telling he removed "the whole kit and kaboodle" so I always figured I didn't have a cervix anymore.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
It really up to your doctor, but the answer is "it depends".

Pap smear: Still necessary after hysterectomy? - Mayo Clinic

Quote:
If you had a partial hysterectomy — when the uterus is removed but the neck of the uterus (cervix) remains — your health care provider will likely recommend continued Pap smears. Similarly, if you had a partial hysterectomy or a total hysterectomy — when both the uterus and cervix are removed — for a cancerous or precancerous condition, regular Pap smears remain important. You can stop having Pap smears, however, if you had a total hysterectomy for a noncancerous condition. Your age matters, too. According to guidelines from the American Cancer Society, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, you can stop routine Pap smear screening after age 65 — whether you've had a hysterectomy or not — if you have a history of regular screenings with normal results and you're not at high risk of cervical cancer.

If you're unsure whether you still need Pap smears, ask your doctor what's best for you.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Well I'm 68 now and still haven't had one post hysterectomy so I'm not going to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness