Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:58 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netty View Post
My daughter was diagnosed as G.B.S. just before her tenth birthday last year,resulting in her being ventilated for ten days. She has made a good recovery apart from problems with her hands and the strength in them. Wondering if this is as good as she will get anybody have any ideas with regard to recovery?
Netty, I am sorry about what happened to your daughter. My brother fell ill with GB when he was ten too, after being bit by a tick.
He was in hospital for 6 weeks, and was extremely week in his legs for about 6 months. But, he made full recovery, even if the doctors said he never would.
I hope your daughter recovers like my brother did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Yes, this is a very mysterious disease, indeed!
June 7th....it usually comes on after an vaccine shot i.e. the Flu or Tetnus shots for example. The research seems to point to an Inflammatory Auto Immune attack (T-Cells) from these shots although some people had none and the T-cells are going after the Myelin Nerve coatings which stops the impulses which causes the paralysis that people suffer from this.

Only medical procedure is usually IVIG treatments at the hospital. Some suggest anti-inflammatory diet(s) like Salmon and Green Leafy vege's and Blueberries and fish/olive oils are examples to keep this disease and simular ones like Multiple Sclerosis etc...in check in the first place.

Best Wishes !

Old 08-01-2007, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,679 times
Default sasha from australia

this is sashas mom. Sasha was diagnose wth GBS last friday @ was admitted. In 2 days his health declined rapdly that he was admitted to intensice care on a ventilator. On Tues they gave him his last course of 5 anti virus serums @ now r in the process of slowly waking him to see where he is at. He is still in pain @ very confused but can understand and communicate wth his head (nodding). I just want to know how long does it take before the real intense pain goes.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:57 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkostic1 View Post
this is sashas mom. Sasha was diagnose wth GBS last friday @ was admitted. In 2 days his health declined rapdly that he was admitted to intensice care on a ventilator. On Tues they gave him his last course of 5 anti virus serums @ now r in the process of slowly waking him to see where he is at. He is still in pain @ very confused but can understand and communicate wth his head (nodding). I just want to know how long does it take before the real intense pain goes.
Sashasmom -

I am so sorry for Sasha - apparently the pain is quite intense. My husband had severe pain for about 5 or 6 days - hydrocodone didn't even help. They finally had to put him on a Fentanyl patch, which kept it at least somewhat bearable. His pain seemed to be worse while undergoing the blood exchanges...peace to you and Sasha - please let us know how he is doing. I don't know about the antivirus serum - are you talking about the blood exchanges where they take the blood out and separate it and then pump it back in?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,679 times
Thank u for your reply. The doctos here is Australia have found that they have had a lot more success in giving high doses of immunoglobulin. They found that giving high doses of this can lessen the immune attack on the nervouse system. I have questioned the other treatment (plasmapheresis) and the head Neurosurgeon here at the hospital has said that they seem to have a much better reaction the the immunoglobulin therapy. As soon as Sash was diagnosed they began a course of treatment which was about 460ml a day for 5 days. They have only had to give another 5 day course on possible 2 occassions. At the moment they say he is on a plateau which they don't know how long it will last until he starts to get better. So everyday we hope he hope he starts to feel better and that the pain is reduced.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,332 times
I had Guillian Barre 10 years ago. I had caught a cold, it went away, but my fingers and toes started to tingle and my back hurt. Thought I had a pinched nerve. had a MRI, then woke up next day and couldn't swallow. Rush to ER and neurologist on duty diagnosed it quickly. was on feeding tube and breathing tube, rehab for 4 months, had to learn to walk again, etc. now 10 years later i am going back to college and need immunizations. Does anyone know if Hep B shots are Okay. I am fully recovered, so there is hope for everyone.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM

109 posts, read 757,395 times
My dad had Guillan Barre when he was 30, luckily he made a full recovery.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I think Andy Griffith had it from what I heard.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 124,581 times
Hello,
I have been an ICU nurse for almost 14 years, and I have seen 2 cases. I am a travel nurse, so I saw one case of a male, 23 years old in California, who recovered completely after about 3-4 months. He came back to see the nursing staff, and he looked great-He was still in rehab, for all of the strength and muscles mass that he lost. Currently, I am in Florida, and there is a 37 year old female with GBS. She is getting plasmapheresis, is on the ventilator, as the other patient was. She is still in the acute stage, so no one knows how much she will recover. That is my experience with this syndrome. I wish you continued healing and good health!
Traci V.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
June 7th....it usually comes on after an vaccine shot i.e. the Flu or Tetnus shots for example. The research seems to point to an Inflammatory Auto Immune attack (T-Cells) from these shots although some people had none and the T-cells are going after the Myelin Nerve coatings which stops the impulses which causes the paralysis that people suffer from this.

Only medical procedure is usually IVIG treatments at the hospital. Some suggest anti-inflammatory diet(s) like Salmon and Green Leafy vege's and Blueberries and fish/olive oils are examples to keep this disease and simular ones like Multiple Sclerosis etc...in check in the first place.

Best Wishes !
I don't discount the vaccine theory, but that's all it is. There is no scientific evidence supporting the connection between flu shots and GBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness