Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

245 posts, read 956,022 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add this to my last post on here. Here's Mary Shomon's website, lots of great information.
Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules

Also, information on her website about Adrenal Fatigue, here's the link:
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/endocrin...nalfatigue.htm

Last edited by butterfly57; 03-24-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: added website info
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The problem is "The most common cause of thyroid gland failure is called autoimmune thyroiditis (also called Hashimoto's thyroiditis), a form of thyroid inflammation caused by the patient's own immune system."

The autoimmune problem is what you have to FIX. Do that and the hypothyroidism goes away.

I do not see where Levothroxine addresses autoimmune issues.

20yrsinBranson
Know how they treat Hashimotos?

drum roll.....................

Treatment of Hashimoto's disease with thyroid hormone replacement usually is simple and effective. LEVOTHYROXIN is one of them OMG

Treatment of Hashimoto's Disease

There is no safe and reliable way of modifying the faulty immunological system that mistakenly believes that your thyroid cells are "foreign." Thus, the basic cause of Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not treated.

If the patient had a temporary phase of Ha****oxicosis (Hashimoto's + toxic + condition), a beta-blocker and/or antithyroid medication, such as carbimazole, may be given for a short time.

If the gland becomes uncomfortably painful, a short course of corticosteroids may be used in subacute viral thyroiditis.

In general, the treatment is the management of the consequences of thyroid failure, although a goiter is sometimes prevented from becoming larger or is reduced in size by giving thyroxine.

The essential step is the prevention of hypothyroidism when this is imminent or the correction of hypothyroidism when this has developed. The best treatment is replacement therapy with thyroxine.

Hashimoto's Disease - Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid over 12 years ago. It's a roller-coaster of a ride and you really need to be informed about this condition. I was originally started on synthroid when first diagnosed, I knew nothing about the medications taken for it or actually anything about my thyroid. As the years passed and the weight and symptoms fluctuated I decided to buy books on the topic and learn about this condition. Mary Shomon's books are on the top of my suggestion list. Also, she has a website with lots of information on thyroid disorders. There are many doctors that just go by lab work results and not by how their patient feels. Also, there are many doctor's that consider Synthroid as the only medication that works and they won't consider the Natural Thyroid medications out there or an Iodine supplement. It took me many years of learning about this, asking my doctor questions, being diligent about my health and knowing my body and when my thyroid meds need adjusting and it's still a bumpy ride. So in answer to your question about your levels changing in a few months....yes they can and yes your meds might need to be changed. Synthroid may not be what your body wants or needs. You may want to ask your doctor about the natural thyroid drugs and see what his/her reaction is. If your doctor won't even discuss them or boo hoo's them then it may be time to find another doctor. If your doctor ONLY goes by lab work and not by how you feel then it's time to find another doctor. Also, Adrenal Fatigue (also effects your hormone levels - estrogen, progesterone, testosterone) is sometimes the underlying cause of a thyroid that doesn't function properly. A naturopath or integrative doctor is typically who you'll find that is familiar with treating Adrenal Fatigue.

Weight gain is not the only symptom of an underactive thyroid.....hair loss, depression, dry skin, constipation, high cholesterol, premature graying of hair, loss of bone density, exhaustion.......I could go on and on. It's serious and can greatly affect your quality of life....I know first hand how bad it can get. I personally am taking NatureThroid and Iodoral......I have taken Synthroid and Armour Thyroid in the past. My best advice to you is to learn all you can about being hypothyroid....ask questions.....find the right doctor for you.
Funny you mention some of the symptoms above. I do feel better, but I still have high cholesterol, getting lots of gray hair, dry skin and weight gain. UGH!

To the OP who suggested seafood, I don't like any at all.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,380,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Funny you mention some of the symptoms above. I do feel better, but I still have high cholesterol, getting lots of gray hair, dry skin and weight gain. UGH!

To the OP who suggested seafood, I don't like any at all.
Sea vegetables and seafood are really good for people with your condition. I doubt you like taking your meds, but you do it anyway, right? Sometimes we need to do things we don't like.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

There is no safe and reliable way of modifying the faulty immunological system that mistakenly believes that your thyroid cells are "foreign." Thus, the basic cause of Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not treated.
That is the general consensus of conventional medicine. However, alternative medicine has had very good results treating lupus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and many other "untreatable" and "uncurable" auto-immune disorders. Of course, conventional medicine is going to say that auto-immune disorders are incurable, because they stand to make millions of dollars "treating" them indefinitely. I certainly would not kill the goose that laid the golden egg! LOL

The incidence of auto-immune disorders has been directly related to meat and diary consumption.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Quote:
The incidence of auto-immune disorders has been directly related to meat and diary consumption.
No, it hasn't.

There is NO empirical evidence that links, definitively, any kind of food source with endocrine disorders. None that is recognized by any medical or health authority.

If you want to espouse your beliefs that alternative lifestyles are the solution to everything, this thread is not the place to do it.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 7 months ago. I was put on Levothyroxine. After about 3 months they retested my levels. I was told they are back to normal. Problem is that I keep gaining weight. I have not changed my diet except for increasing fruits. I'm more active in the past month laying sod with my husband. (hard labor) Has anybody else had this problem? Could it be that my levels have changed within 3 months and my meds maybe need to be increased? I'm really frustrated! BTW, I'm 38 years old if that matters.
Just eat worms and be done with it!

Worm Therapy: Helminth-Induced Immune Modulation

Hashimoto's thyroiditis,any one? - Page 4 - NeuroTalk Communities

Hashimoto's disease - MayoClinic.com

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Quote:
According to our beloved internet....

Although her thyroid is apparently not making enough of this hormone, this is NOT THE CAUSE of her condition - THIS IS A SYMPTOM. If you replace the hormone, then you are masking the symptom. You are NOT CORRECTING THE PROBLEM. You are simply making the problem "go away" until the medication is stopped, and then the problem recurs.

You are simply trading one set of symptoms for another, and on and on, ad infinitum ad nauseum.

I stand by my original advice. There has been a statistically significant correlation between auto-immune disorders and meat and dairy consumption.

20yrsinBranson
follow the bolded remarks:

You believe everything you read on the internet???

She never stated that she had the AUTO IMMUNE Hashimoto's!!!!

Thyroid diesase is a malfunctioning of the Thyroid. Either not producing enough T4 or too much T4. Not a symptom.

Levothyroxine IS synthetic T4.

You are NOT trading one set of symptoms for another, Levo. puts your thyroid back on track and helps to eliminate the symptoms!

One can have hypo or hyper thyroid disease WITHOUT having the auto-immune versions of it!

I should know.

And I totally agree that people should put the crap in their bodies that is generally in the supermarkets. But, Thyroid disease CAN NOT be cured by DIET alone. period.

Last edited by bellalunatic; 03-25-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Quit arguing about Hashimoto's she never said she had it!

It is very possible that she is hypo without having Hashimoto's

Last edited by bellalunatic; 03-25-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
No, it hasn't.

There is NO empirical evidence that links, definitively, any kind of food source with endocrine disorders. None that is recognized by any medical or health authority.

If you want to espouse your beliefs that alternative lifestyles are the solution to everything, this thread is not the place to do it.

Probably listens to oprah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness