Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,056,440 times

Advertisements

He is 3 1/2 months old. About a month ago we took a trip to North Carolina and my wife thinks he was bitten by something. Although he never cried...he was outdoors a lot, but of course never placed on the ground. I don't think he was bitten by anything. Anyhow, it first appeared then (1 month ago) and has stayed the same size and same redness. We put some petroleum jelly on it a few nights ago and in the morning it was gone...but then 24 hours later it came back. It does not bother him. What could it be ? Doesn't look like typical ringworm to me. We told our pediatrician and he said to try putting some cortison on it....that did nothing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Looks like cradle cap. What do you use to wash & groom them and all the baby stuff? Try using mineral oil on the area daily and water only baths. I would not use any natural oils just in case of allergy. Some babies get such dry skin they can only be cleansed with mineral oil baths.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,056,440 times
I did a search on google. What my son has looks nothing like cradle cap. This is a small round isolated area.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
This is a total guess but what came to mind is some kind of skin parasite ... ring worm perhaps?
Like i said, it's just a guess and i'd take him to see someone.
If you do a google image search, be prepared for some really gross pictures.
I only gave a quick glance ... i'm a little squeamish.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I did a search on google. What my son has looks nothing like cradle cap. This is a small round isolated area.
The pictures they use are worst case scenario. Ask in your family if eczema is a problem. I have dealt with that myself in the past and its never like the extreme clinical photos you see. Sometimes its only a few blisters or a streak of blisters. You can't really use a lot of chemicals on a baby that small. Since it did recover from the use of the petroleum jelly its very likely that it is just a patch of cradle cap.

To compare to STDs....they alwasy show these CRAZY intense infections that look nothing like a common STD breakout. Most stds show no signs or just mild irritation.

I suggest to go with the water bath because he could be breaking out due to the soap and fragrances you are using. You don't want to put a bunch of chemicals on him.

Just watch that he is eating and his temp is ok. Note any behavioral changes like more crying than normal. Odd stuff in the diapers etc.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
It's hard to tell what the texture of the bump is. Is it scabby or warty, or is there swelling under the skin like a bug bite?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
This is a total guess but what came to mind is some kind of skin parasite ... ring worm perhaps?
Like i said, it's just a guess and i'd take him to see someone.
If you do a google image search, be prepared for some really gross pictures.
I only gave a quick glance ... i'm a little squeamish.
Ringworm looks like an actual circle with a very strong edge. Its more likely to be tinea versacolor and I would not use medication on an infant that small.

But since it responded to cradle cap treatment. I would call it cradle cap.

Cradle Cap: Symptoms and Treatment Options - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Fungals and parasites would not respond to Vaseline usually. And if they do, awesome. Less toxic for baby.

You could ask the doctor to scrape it for a culture if you want to ease your mind and you have the money.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,017,134 times
This happened 1 month ago and you are concerned and haven't taken him to a doctor yet you ask people over the internet what's wrong?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,933,204 times
Please do take the child to a competent doctor. Ask about Lyme disease. Do you have ticks in your area? I believe NC does have them.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,869 times
It's not cradle cap (if it was the Vaseline would have allowed you to smooth away the dead skin and it wouldn't have reappeared in the same spot exactly).

What I hear is the Pediatrician is recommending cortisone cream over the phone for something sight unseen?

Cortisone cream is recommended for a slough of skin concerns but I would want to know what the skin condition was first before I treated my child.

Nice head shape (looks like a cute baby).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness