Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM

8 posts, read 333,954 times

Advertisements

Something keeps biting me at night when I sleep and I dont think that is beg bugs.

I examine my mattress and my head borads very very throughly, and I dont see anything at all.

whatever it is it is just one bite and it itches like hell and if I scratch it it swells like hell sometimes the area as round as an orange or a grapefruit

if I sleep completly covered from head to toe I dont get bit but the moment any part of my body is exposed it gets bitten, I even got bit on my eyelids once.

This has happened to me before and it happens throughout the year. The last time it happened I put up a net over my bed and never once got bitten. I had since moved.

Now I have been here for a year and its starting all over again.
I dont have any cats or dogs but I do have a hamster but he stays in another room.

what could it be. I am baffled.

Ps. sometimes, but not much I do see some really teenie tiny flys as small as fruit flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
My guess is spiders. I have them around my bed sometimes. Very small, but they can really bite!

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Look up Cone Nose bugs. I'm not sure about their distribution but I think they can be found within the boroughs.

What you are describing does sound suspiciously like bedbugs, but you should be able to see markings from their defecation on your mattress if you have an infestation.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Gnats do bite.

Gnat Insect Bites Can Cause Allergic Reactions and Swelling - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

You can catch them but putting some red wine, vinegar or beer about an inch high in a glass. The will fly in and drown. I would call in a professional to inspect for bed bugs though. You could just of washed your sheets enough that its not insanely infested looking. A pro may catch something you missed.

Fleas tend to bite in clumps, bed bugs tend to bite in lines and gnats bite at random.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namioko View Post
Something keeps biting me at night when I sleep and I dont think that is beg bugs.

I examine my mattress and my head borads very very throughly, and I dont see anything at all.

whatever it is it is just one bite and it itches like hell and if I scratch it it swells like hell sometimes the area as round as an orange or a grapefruit

if I sleep completly covered from head to toe I dont get bit but the moment any part of my body is exposed it gets bitten, I even got bit on my eyelids once.

This has happened to me before and it happens throughout the year. The last time it happened I put up a net over my bed and never once got bitten. I had since moved.

Now I have been here for a year and its starting all over again.
I dont have any cats or dogs but I do have a hamster but he stays in another room.

what could it be. I am baffled.

Ps. sometimes, but not much I do see some really teenie tiny flys as small as fruit flies.
Mosquitoes.......

Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Mosquitoes.......
I'm not quite sure why I didn't say that first...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Does the hamster have a key to his cage?

A single bite every night doesn't sound like bedbugs. Bedbugs also give a room a characteristic sweet odor. I'd vote spider.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Could be many things...but a single bite that hurts quite a bit? Could be a spider. I had something bite me on the back of the neck the other night when I was reading in bed. It raised a welt and hurt more than a mosquito bite. The next morning I peeled back all the bed clothes and discovered a tiny little dark spider. I think it was the biter...luckily, not a brown recluse...

Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 333,954 times
Thanks yal, for the response

No its not bed bugs at all, I've done a very through inspection and I dont see any signs at all, My mattress is white and I don't see anything at all.

I bought a net again and the biting has completely stopped, so what ever it is, it is not coming from the bed.

I will look into the spiders and gnats.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Yeah i have lived in florida and I too was bitten constantly im going to say what was mosqitoes . I think though you might have bed bugs and sometimes they are not detectable . I would have an exterminator visit and give you an estimate and see what he thinks is the problem . I would not keep the hamster there while he comes though make sure you move him to a neighbors house for the day or two . i wish you luck i know this is hard .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness