Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 07:20 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Somewhere buried is this thread is there any actual data with their counting methodology?

The originial like was to "jesus is savior.com" and people here have been quoting numbers but it's hard to follow.

Basically, if some 60yo with diabetes, congestive heart failure etc. comes in and the doc gives them something and they die 3 months later does it "count"?

I've worked with medical malpractice cases so of course there are errors I just can't get a feel for the scope. Additionally, we live in a society where we are 100lbs overweight for DECADES with high bp, smoking etc etc etc. and at 65 we want new knees and magical pills to fix a body that quite frankly is crapped out.

I get the feeling the truth lies somewhere in-between.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Well, worker motivation is relative. everything is. But it seems they were the exception to the rule.
I'm not sure what that means. I also don't see the problem with primarily working for the money. Some people excel in their profession. Some do the minimum to get by. I've seen this with docs. My brother's docs are amazing people. The hours they work and the sacrifices are above and beyond what most people do. Then, I've had older primary care physicians that were tools. But, to suggest intentional harm is a pretty big charge and should really be coupled with a solid argument. The link in the OP, for example, did not provide that imo.

Then there's the fact that folk tend to conflate a slew of rather unrelated issues that confuses the purpose of the argument further.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not sure what that means. I also don't see the problem with primarily working for the money. Some people excel in their profession. Some do the minimum to get by. I've seen this with docs. My brother's docs are amazing people. The hours they work and the sacrifices are above and beyond what most people do. Then, I've had older primary care physicians that were tools. But, to suggest intentional harm is a pretty big charge and should really be coupled with a solid argument. The link in the OP, for example, did not provide that imo.

Then there's the fact that folk tend to conflate a slew of rather unrelated issues that confuses the purpose of the argument further.
it means that people are motivated by different concerns. in their case, not to give a damn.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
it means that people are motivated by different concerns. in their case, not to give a damn.
Ok, and maybe I missed it in this thread, but why do you believe most docs don't give a damn? Is this based on personal experience or some research that you've come across?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
The exceptions to the rule.
In general, people that make it through medical school are very smart, highly motivated people. They could probably succeed in many fields and make a lot of money. They could do this without 8 years of intense schooling + 4 years of interships/residencies in which they are worked like a dog for very little pay. Most come out with massive student loans that they then have to pay off. Then they have to worry about medical malpractice suits. At minimum, they are 30 when they get "real job". Most don't really start making a good amount of money until they are around 40 and they have a patient base built up and a good reputation within the community.

You make it sound like all doctors are out to just make a "quick buck". There are many, many ways for a smart, hardworking person to make a lot of money in this country that doesn't include the headache and stress that doctors endure.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
In general, people that make it through medical school are very smart, highly motivated people. They could probably succeed in many fields and make a lot of money. They could do this without 8 years of intense schooling + 4 years of interships/residencies in which they are worked like a dog for very little pay. Most come out with massive student loans that they then have to pay off. Then they have to worry about medical malpractice suits. At minimum, they are 30 when they get "real job". Most don't really start making a good amount of money until they are around 40 and they have a patient base built up and a good reputation within the community.

You make it sound like all doctors are out to just make a "quick buck". There are many, many ways for a smart, hardworking person to make a lot of money in this country that doesn't include the headache and stress that doctors endure.
I don't believe that. Apologism does to no ends, huh?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
What does this mean if you don't mind explaining.

eta: eh, never mind.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I've yet to even see any reliable data. Maybe the number is 1,000? 1 million?

I just find it odd that people have posted pages and pages of assertions over what appears to be a made up number.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What does this mean if you don't mind explaining.

eta: eh, never mind.
You're excusing people.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Education? Pah! lol. Any old fool can read a book, sit in a lecture hall, sit an exam and pass it, and get a piece of paper. True intelligence is about conceptualising the world around you and how one interacts with it.

My conceptualising tells me that medicine is a corrupt profession, filled by self-seeking people. Everybody knows that politics is. The next port of call should be medicine.
The only people who have this viewpoint are those who are too dumb to get through formal education.

My guess is you wouldn't last a week in medical school.

If people become doctors only for the money, why are there private practice family doctors? Doctors who don't work for hospitals as well as ANY general practitioner can hardly stay above water today. And also claiming someone is in it to make money when you don't start making a real salary until age 35 (and with $200k+ in debt at that age too) is nothing short of ignorant.

No one spends 90 hours/week studying for 9+ years if they aren't trying to help people.

Your offensiveness betrays your incredible ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness