Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM

222 posts, read 500,961 times

Advertisements

A couple months ago a friend in Cape Cod mentioned to me he had what he thought was vertigo. He has done nothing for it and 7 weeks later he is slowly getting better.
Another friend of mine in Michigan told me she came down with vertigo. She went to the Dr. and he gave her a 10 day supply of Amoxicillin, Prednisone and Meclizine. Her Dr. seems to believe there is a respiratory virus going around which lands in the ear canals. 2 weeks have gone by and she is better but still feels ( off and on ) pressure in her ears and slight dizziness.
Now my daughter has just told me she is dizzy, seeing spots and losing her balance.
This is just too many people having the same symptoms to be a coincidence.
Anyone out there dealing with this?

If so, what are you doing about it??

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Sorry to hear... it's no fun!

I've been experiencing mild to moderate vertigo, ear pain/fullness, visual disturbances, headaches, and a general "off" feeling for months.

I've been to an ENT a few times and he is literally stumped with what is going on with me.

I'm currently following a gluten-free diet to eliminate possible food allergies. Drinking lots and lots of water and taking supplements. I've gone from wearing my contacts to glasses/RX sunglasses full-time, and have cut my salt intake way back per the Docs recommendation. Oh, and I'm also on diuretics. This seems to keep my vertigo in-check presently.

The only things close to a diagnosis I've been given are: "cluster headaches" or an "inner ear disorder".

Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times
if you are asking if there is an infectious cause of vertigo, then the answer is yes, called viral labyrinthitis. info here: Labyrinthitis-Topic Overview

Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
It's a virus. I had it last year and other people did in town too. The dr said it took a month or two to run its course. Meantime I took Bonine tablets for motion sickness.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
I've had that off and on for years. Mine is usualy associated with a bad allergy season or sinus infections. Or even a bad cold. I've been to the point of not being able to do anything but sit in a chair. I've been in the hospital twice for it. Had CT scans and MRI's looking for brain tumors, etc.
My problem is any bad sinus infection or allergy reaction seems to somehow get into the inner ear and screws up my balance. Once those triggers are treated I'm ok. Only problem is that once the inner ear is damaged you might feel normal in everday activities but you don't have the balance you had as a kid. And you certainly don't want to spin around like a figure skater. You just might still be spinning weeks later. I've learned to live with knowing that there are some things I can't do even when I'm feeling normal.
I'm 63 yrs old and never had a problem untill I was in my early 50's. It sure was scary at first and admittedly still is when it happens.
But I know the reason.
But I would advise anyone who first has the condition to get checked out thoroughly to eliminate other more dangerous causes. Such as a brain tumor, clogged carotid arteries, etc. Or maybe just a chemical imbalance or vitamin deficiency.
It isn't safe to assume anything. It's better to know for sure in case it is something that needs more radical treatment.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:13 AM

222 posts, read 500,961 times
Thanks everyone for your input !

Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
I definitely believe in those nasty viral infections that land on our ear canals and throw us off balance.

For me, my vertigo seems to be more seasonal. In Spring, when pollen counts are high, it tends to be worse for me. If I take a sinus med like Sudafed, my symptoms improve within about 1/2 hour.

Now I'm pregnant so I can't take the Sudafed and have that mild vertigo that comes along with pregnancy.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
I only am feeling better now after about 7 weeks of feeling like i was on a boat i couldn't get off of. It literally drove me bonkers! Had a nasty cold while in california on vacation. Congestion and just an overall feeling of not being well with no fever. Had pressure in my ears tho that felt like there was a weight on my head pushing down. Felt dizzy alot and when i closed my eyes felt like things were spinning slowly in a circle. Saw my primary care physician after my vacation and he checked my ears with no apparent ear infection that he could see, checked my hearing and had me do some coordination tests. Still unclear what it was. He then put me on prednisone a steriod to try to reduce any inflammation i might have. No luck...still felt dizzy after complrting the course of medication. I too was wondering if it was some sort of virus that caused my symptoms of vertigo. Anyone else had similar symptoms?

Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I've had that after a cruise...twice! But, not every time! It will go away on it's own.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:23 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Never heard of a virus causing vertigo. I don't know anyone else having this issue at the time I am.

Since mid-2017, out of the blue, I've suffered some kind of dizziness, it's hard to explain. Never had any headaches, dizziness ever before. Making a long story short, I've started seeing a neurologist since Oct 2018. I had a non-contrast brain MRI, but they want to see more & have ordered a brain & spine MRI w/ AND w/o contrast. I've been thinking about if I should do it because the non-contrast MRI I did already had me feeling even worse for a good 2 mos afterward, so I just don't know, but I want ANSWERS!

That gadolinium solution they use worries me since I have no idea how I'll react to it.

Anyone have any input, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness