Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times

Advertisements

I've just learned about Gen. Sir Harry; he comes highly recommended.

Harry Paget Flashman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ("P.G. Wodehouse said, 'If ever there was a time when I felt that "watcher-of-the-skies-when-a-new-planet" stuff, it was when I read the first Flashman.'[8]")

Is anyone familiar with the Flashman series?

Last edited by delusianne; 09-22-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I've just learned about Gen. Sir Harry; he comes highly recommended.

Harry Paget Flashman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ("P.G. Wodehouse said, 'If ever there was a time when I felt that "watcher-of-the-skies-when-a-new-planet" stuff, it was when I read the first Flashman.'[8]")

Is anyone familiar with the Flashman series?
Extremely amusing. Highly recommended. A cowardly version of the Sharpe novels, with a lot less military minutiae.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
I started reading them when the first one first came out in paperback; back in the days before "quality" paperbacks when a paperback was a pocket book.

My favorite is "Flashman and the Indians".

Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
I haven't but I experienced him being introduced as an old man in Mr. American. I will certainly be looking those books up, but I had no idea he was a historical character--figured he was pure fiction.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 AM

697 posts, read 3,022,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I haven't but I experienced him being introduced as an old man in Mr. American. I will certainly be looking those books up, but I had no idea he was a historical character--figured he was pure fiction.
He is fictional, but Fraser did an amazing job of surrounding him with factual historical details that, while often seeming incredible, are nevertheless true. Indeed, as the Wikipedia article on Flashman points out, when the first book appeared in the U.S., 10 out of 34 reviews took it for a genuine memoir of a historical person, including several by academics.

The books, collectively, are an incredibly fun read, but at the same time are almost morbidly cynical about the motives and actions of both Flashman and the historical figures he moves among.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,713,492 times
I've read all of the "Flashman" novels, and I enjoyed them greatly. Fraser's a very good author, IMHO. I suggest reading his non-fiction memoir of his service in Burma during WWII, " Quartered Safe Out Here."
For "Flashman", I found that it helps to have a good background in 19th century British Army campaigns, which I do, but it's certainly not essential to still enjoy the books.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:37 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times
I love reading the Flashman books and I've reread the lot several times. Great stuff for history buffs.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
This past spring and early summer I read the entire Flashman series in chronological order of events. It was a wonderfully painless way to learn a great deal about Britain in the 19th Century. There were some events with which I was already familiar, and the others I looked up and read about to give myself a background for the novel's setting. Entertainment and education, I enjoyed them all a great deal.

When I was a kid, there was a children's book series called "We Were There" which had titles like "We Were There At The Alamo" or "We Were There At Lexington"...that sort of thing. Some juvenile character would be thrust into the historic setting and the story would unfold through the young narrator's perspective.

The Flashman series is sort of ther adult version of that.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,867,433 times
The history was interesting, but I never enjoyed the writing style remotely as much as I enjoyed the Sharpe novels. Part of it is that Flashman never does anything, brave, honorable, selfless etc. Few people are ever totally hopeless, even the worse fiends have redeeming moments. Sharpe certainly has moments that potray him as anything than positive, although he is the hero.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
Part of it is that Flashman never does anything, brave, honorable, selfless etc. .

Did you not understand that Flashman's depraved character was a deliberate device employed so that the author might provide us with a cynical, less flowery perspective on the events? If it had been some heroic fellow who deliberately has the multiple impacts on history that Flashman winds up having inadvertently, the series would have had severe problems with credibility. I enjoyed Flashman's moral shortcomings. Whether he's bribing an official to sabotage his dueling opponent's pistol, or dumping the lady in distress to aid in his own getaway, I can relate to his choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History