Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Does a red font give more power to a post? Just curious.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Does a red font give more power to a post? Just curious.
Strange question. No no. My intention was to seperate his response from mine only, red was the easiest way to do it. I was too lazy (or don't know how) to seperate quotes from each of his statements so that it flowed from quote, to mine, back to quote again. I see you did it however. Tell me how.
This is actually standard practice in my company when we want to respond and address seperated topics on businesss email.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I think a lot of the softer similarities are do to a purposeful effort by Obama to mirror his Presidential idol.

The strongest similarity I could think of was that both of them rose to prominence do to their oratory abilities. Lincoln in the Douglas debates and Obama at the Democratic Convention in 2004. Both were firm believers in the power of oration to change peoples minds and beliefs.

The biggest difference is the position they found themselves in on day one of the Presidency. Obama captured 53% of the popular vote and enjoyed widespread support. Lincoln was elected with only about 40% of the popular vote, meaning about 60% of the country hated him.

What made Lincoln amazing was his ability to look past this deficit and set about the work at hand. Over time Lincoln gained support and swayed the popular opinion. Obama has lost the collateral he brought to office, but only time will tell where he ends up in the court of public opinion.

The other major difference that I can think of is that Lincoln's Presidency was going to be invariably judged by the course of a war. Obama's will be judged by the course of an economy. Obama's Presidency will never be defined by what happens in Iraq and Afghanistan any more than Lincoln's is defined by unemployment figures.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Lincoln/Obama similiarities I just don't get. But I mentioned the Lincoln/Kennedy comparison's which at one time was part of urban folklore. Not sure how much of it is true. Lifted from a web page but much of it is repeated elsewhere:

ó Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

ó Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

ó The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.
Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

ó Both Presidents' wives lost a child while living in the White House.
Both Presidents were shot while seated next to their wife. Both Presidents were shot on a Friday. Both were shot in the head.

ó Lincoln's personal secretary, whose name was John (Nicolay), advised him not to go to the theater. Kennedy's personal secretary, whose name was (Evelyn) Lincoln, advised him not to go to Dallas.

ó Both were assassinated by Southerners. Both were succeeded by Southerners. Both successors were named Johnson.

ó Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

ó John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy was born in 1939.

ó Both assassins were known by their three names.
Both names are comprised of fifteen letters.

ó Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater. Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

ó Lincoln was shot in the Ford Theatre and Kennedy was shot while in a Ford Lincoln.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
At the risk of getting into politics, I actually cannot name one effort that Obama made to improve equal rights..
The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 is an Act of Congress enacted by the 111th United States Congress and signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 29, 2009.

The bill amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 stating that the 180-day statute of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit regarding pay discrimination resets with each new discriminatory paycheck

Old 10-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009
Yes that is good, but that's hardly a Lincolnesque (emancipation proclamation), or Johnsonesque (equal rights act of 1964), or even a Trumanesque (ending the segregation in the US military) accomplishment. It's just not comparable....then again how can you top those?
1st President Bush by the way signed in the last civil rights act of 1991.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times
with all due respect
How could anyone put Lincoln and the Bammy in the same catagory?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
with all due respect
How could anyone put Lincoln and the Bammy in the same catagory?
Easy. One has been deified by the history books, and the other will be, idf not already. Both, as mentioned, were Illinois politicians, however one of them wrote and promoted legislation that made it a crime for free blacks to emigrate to Illinois. While both have gone above and beyond the call with regard to eating away at civil liberties of we the people, only one of them suspended habeus corpus, forcefully closed newspapers that didn't support him, and locked up an entire state legislature to prevent it from voting on the subject of secession. Only one of them created a bastard child of the union, known today as West Virginia. Only one of them marched federal troops over his own people, destroyed their farms, and raped their land. Only one of them met with prominent black leaders of the day and encouraged them to set an example and go back to Africa. As much as I dislike saying this...I'd take the somewhat black community organizer of questionable origin over the radical railroad lawyer any day.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
A community organizer and radical railroad lawyer who "raped the land and its citizens".

Your idea of "freedom" most likely didnt include the same freedoms for those of African American roots.

Or in your fantasy world do all the slaves go free when war is averted?

Just curious how a revisionist scripts his ending, thats all.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
This should probably go into the politics forum... do we have a second?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History