Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,095 times

Advertisements

I've always, well more like recently, begin wondering what languages were spoken by the various peoples of Africa, before the influence of Colonialism...and or excluding the whole Egyptian culture...

I'm talken deep down, in the middle of Africa type languages...

I mean from my understanding...all the current bounderies and nations and countries of Africa, are all a result of Colonialism...when Spain and the French and Germans and the British...and all the rest, went into Africa, and basically carved it up in ways that suited their political and financial interests...

And so the native people basically had to learn or mix their language with whatever Colonial power ruled them...

And as a result, I wonder if any of the original, non European dialects can still be found...or spoken?

I know when the original slaves were brought over to America...they were not allowed to speak their native language, nor were they allowed to speak or learn english...beyond basic commands...so none of that stuff ever got handed down...

Where as most other immigrants come to America with their whole culture and language intact...

The Africans were literaly stripped of their identity...I wonder how much was lost due to that...oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Are you asking a question or trying to answer your own question?

Various tribal languages existed, I think in 6 main groups with regional variation. Some of it was part sign langauges, or drums, or whistels and clicks. Most of it did not have an alphabet and means for writing and thus was not able to be documented. I think that more than anything contributed to their demise. Europeans did not, except for explorers and missionaries, venture into the interior of Africa until the 20th century. African's learned and mixed in the language of the colonials for business and commerce purposes on their own. It's like Wales and Ireland and many other places with their own ancient languages, not just Africa. Some of the languages still exist and are countries official langauges (i.e. - Swazi in Swaziland).

Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think that more than anything contributed to their demise.
Demise???

AfricanLanguages.com - African Languages info

Quote:
Europeans did not, except for explorers and missionaries, venture into the interior of Africa until the 20th century.
Where are you getting this?

History of South Africa, Early European Settlement

Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
The non-European languages of sub-saharan Africa are still widely spoken as the everyday languages. Traveling in Africa, you will find that English and French are, to this day, spoken as second languages by most Africans, who continue to speak their Bantu languages among themselves. English, French and Portuguese are understood by most people who live in an urban area or who have any education, but in the countryside, there are many people who do not know any European language at all.

You can get a good overvies from this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Mali

There are hundreds of different African languages, most of them in the Bantu linguistic group, and as you correctly stated, the national boundaries were set in place by people who had no concern for linguistic affiinity of the people. So every large African country encompasses people who speak several, if not dozens of different languages. So, Engish, French and Portuguese have become "common languages" that most people know, in order to understand their fellow "countrymen" and for official business.

Americans seem to the the only people in the world who are unable to fathom the simple concept of bilingualism. Nearly all Africans can speak several languages. Worldwide, it is likely that more than half of all human beings can carry on a conversation in at least two languages. In China, everyone can speak Mandarin, but at least half speak a different language at home. In India, most people can speak English, but nobody speaks only English. In Europe, nearly everyone (except the French and British) can speak another European language. It is a humbling experience for an American with a PhD, who can speak only one language, to arrive in an the African interior and find simple villagers who can speak 3 or 4 languages fluently, but cannot read or write any language at all.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-22-2010 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Demise was the OP's suggestion I believe, and I addressed that many are still in existence.

Your second link is specific to South Africa, which like areas of northern and coastal Africa may be an exception to the rule, having been explored and settled very early in the "colonialism of Africa", but again the OP I think was concerned about the interior of Africa. The fact remains, European's had difficulty in penetrating the "malaria belts" of the interior.

I was going to mention however the uniqueness of an actual European/African/Indian language developing in South Africa however, where their were white settlers since the 1600s, now in all intents and purposes - White Africans. I thought it was off topic but since you bring up South Africa - Afrikaans. A very interesting language, very gutteral sounding, I experienced in an South Africa trip. Most of it is Dutch in original, but its definetly merges in the original native language.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:02 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,095 times
Quote:
Are you asking a question or trying to answer your own question?

Various tribal languages existed, I think in 6 main groups with regional variation. Some of it was part sign langauges, or drums, or whistels and clicks. Most of it did not have an alphabet and means for writing and thus was not able to be documented. I think that more than anything contributed to their demise. Europeans did not, except for explorers and missionaries, venture into the interior of Africa until the 20th century. African's learned and mixed in the language of the colonials for business and commerce purposes on their own. It's like Wales and Ireland and many other places with their own ancient languages, not just Africa. Some of the languages still exist and are countries official langauges (i.e. - Swazi in Swaziland).
I find that very hard to believe...and very 'Euro' bias laden...'whistle and clicks'...please...give the human race more credit than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The non-European languages of sub-saharan Africa are still widely spoken as the everyday languages. Traveling in Africa, you will find that English and French are, to this day, spoken as second languages by most Africans, who continue to speak their Bantu languages among themselves. English, French and Portuguese are understood by most people who live in an urban area or who have any education, but in the countryside, there are many people who do not know any European language at all.

You can get a good overvies from this article:
Languages of Mali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are hundreds of different African languages, most of them in the Bantu linguistic group, and as you correctly stated, the national boundaries were set in place by people who had no concern for linguistic affiinity of the people. So every large African country encompasses people who speak several, if not dozens of different languages. So, Engish, French and Portuguese have become "common languages" that most people know, in order to understand their fellow "countrymen" and for official business.

Americans seem to the the only people in the world who are unable to fathom the simple concept of bilingualism. Nearly all Africans can speak several languages. Worldwide, it is likely that more than half of all human beings can carry on a conversation in at least two languages. In China, everyone can speak Mandarin, but at least half speak a different language at home. In India, most people can speak English, but nobody speaks only English. In Europe, nearly everyone (except the French and British) can speak another European language. It is a humbling experience for an American with a PhD, who can speak only one language, to arrive in an the African interior and find simple villagers who can speak 3 or 4 languages fluently, but cannot read or write any language at all.
Thanks for sharing that...I will add it to my library of thought...

Old 11-25-2010, 03:49 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I find that very hard to believe...and very 'Euro' bias laden...'whistle and clicks'...please...give the human race more credit than that...
I don't think that post was meant to be condescending.

There really are languages that have click consonant sounds though, mainly in Southern Africa.

These sounds are just part of the phonology (sound system) of their language, just like what would be another consonant or vowel, like in English or any other language.

That really doesn't mean their languages are "inferior" or less complex in structure. No linguists really think that there are languages that are "more primitive" than others -- all have fully formed grammar rules.

Africa's pretty much one of the most linguistically diverse places in the world (another place is Papua New Guinea).
As mentioned earlier, a particularly large family of languages in Africa is the Bantu family, of which the most widely spoken and well known member is Swahili. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantu_languages

Some words from languages that belong to the family have been borrowed into English, such as conga and safari.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 11-25-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I've always, well more like recently, begin wondering what languages were spoken by the various peoples of Africa, before the influence of Colonialism...and or excluding the whole Egyptian culture...

I'm talken deep down, in the middle of Africa type languages...

I mean from my understanding...all the current bounderies and nations and countries of Africa, are all a result of Colonialism...when Spain and the French and Germans and the British...and all the rest, went into Africa, and basically carved it up in ways that suited their political and financial interests...

And so the native people basically had to learn or mix their language with whatever Colonial power ruled them...

And as a result, I wonder if any of the original, non European dialects can still be found...or spoken?

I know when the original slaves were brought over to America...they were not allowed to speak their native language, nor were they allowed to speak or learn english...beyond basic commands...so none of that stuff ever got handed down...

Where as most other immigrants come to America with their whole culture and language intact...

The Africans were literaly stripped of their identity...I wonder how much was lost due to that...oh well...
I worked with a Kenyan woman. She spoke English and Swahili, which are her country's official languages, along with her tribal language. (Luo).

There are MANY original languages still spoken in Africa.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Well, it is true. Actually I see your answer, your failure to concieve of different types of languages than verbalized consanents and vowels, and your perception that all African languages were superceded by Euro languages, as Euro based in thought.

You should get out more, I was in the continent of Africa a few weeks ago by the way (although the only whistles and clicks I heard were from vehicles and livestock).

Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
You should get out more, I was in the continent of Africa a few weeks ago by the way (although the only whistles and clicks I heard were from vehicles and livestock).
Next time you should save your money and just stay at home watching YouTube, you would apparently learn more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31zzM...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c246fZ-7z1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_DOi...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpBm...eature=related

This is just a small, minute fraction of the 2,000 indigenous languages spoken in Africa today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History