Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
The following link doesn't offer conclusive proof of Columbus' ethnicity, but it does give some compelling historical background that still leaves it to the reader to judge:

Close To Torah » Was Christopher Columbus Jewish? (http://www.closetotorah.com/archives/1328 - broken link)
I read the supposed evidence, which is actually nothing but implications, very much akin to the sorts of connections one finds in a conspiracy theory or Erich von Daniken books.

I'm left wondering, did very many Jewish parents name their child "Christopher?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Where did Portugal become a part of the story? He was supposed to be Italian.

Oh, I get it! This must be some sort of "contest," and the winner gets to "prove" that Columbus was anything but what the history books say. I wonder how long it will take before someone claims that he was actually the illegitimate son of a Turkish adventurer?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Interesting theory. I wonder what the Polish would want more, a claim that Columbus was theirs or holding to Polish history that Vladislav III was killed at Varna fighting the Turks? Vladislav III is a decently popular character in Poland with several sports teams and other things named after him. If this "proves" that he in fact ran from the battle and went into seclusion and denounced his throne, it would be more of a blow to national pride than gaining Columbus.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM

594 posts, read 1,779,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I read the supposed evidence, which is actually nothing but implications, very much akin to the sorts of connections one finds in a conspiracy theory or Erich von Daniken books.

I'm left wondering, did very many Jewish parents name their child "Christopher?"
Grandstander,

After posting the link, I'll admit I had some doubts as I read in the second paragraph about the Rabbi "performing Jewish religious rights" instead of "rites."

On naming a Jewish child Christopher, I'm not sure what might have been done in Italy. However, during the Spanish Inquisition, many Jewish conversos even started eating pork to show their earnestness in conversion to Christianity. Some Jews who were thought not to be convincing enough in their conversion were killed anyway.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,470 times
And Copernicus was Polish, too! P.S. Have you ever met a blue eyed Italian?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Default This is going to be a great story if it turns up to be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Krzysztof Kolumbowicz (that was probably his real name) is not a myth, the historians are in possession of his son's DNA sample (which shows chromosomes most common in Poland) and are going to compare it with DNAs of Polish kings who rest in Krakow. At this point it is almost certain that he was Polish, like Casimir Pulaski or Thaddeus Kosciuszko.
... or Copernicus

Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

All we need is a DNA test.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Interesting theory. I wonder what the Polish would want more, a claim that Columbus was theirs or holding to Polish history that Vladislav III was killed at Varna fighting the Turks? Vladislav III is a decently popular character in Poland with several sports teams and other things named after him. If this "proves" that he in fact ran from the battle and went into seclusion and denounced his throne, it would be more of a blow to national pride than gaining Columbus.
Really, who has heard about Vladislav III before?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,713,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don.salceson View Post
And Copernicus was Polish, too! P.S. Have you ever met a blue eyed Italian?
Plenty of blue eyed Italians in Northern Italy. In Sicily, not too many.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 PM

512 posts, read 1,184,360 times
Anyway it's not Poles who are conducting research about Columbus. It's a Portugese researcher Manual Rosa who's been working on this for 20 years.

Could Christopher Columbus Be Polish? | OTL (http://www.overthelimit.info/us/2010/11/30/christopher-columbus-polish/ - broken link)

‘The sheer weight of the evidence presented makes the old tale of a Genoese wool-weaver so obviously unbelievable that only a fool would continue to insist on it,’ Rosa said.

BTW Vladislav III of Poland had an immense contribution to push the Turks out of Europe, as well as another Polish king - John III Sobieski (Battle at Vienna).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History