Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

I just finished a recent biography of Caesar and he changed considerably in the period of the Dictatorship compared to the person we read in the Commentaries. He became a meaner and more vainglorious person disregarding much of Roman political custom which was quite a serious issue among the ruling classes of the day. Assassination would have been the only manner to remove him from office.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-15-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I just finished a recent biography of Caesar and he changed considerably in the period of the Dictatorship compared to the person we read in the Commentaries. He became a meaner and more vainglorious person disregarding much of Roman political custom which was quite a serious issue among the ruling classes of the day. Assassination would have been the only manner to remove him from office.
That happens a lot when you become Emperor. What puzzles me is how willing, and apparently ignorant of history, most of our media has become as it clears the path for President Obama to be handed the diadem.

Dictator - YouTube

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
The Bears.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What puzzles me is how willing, and apparently ignorant of history, most of our media has become as it clears the path for President Obama to be handed the diadem.

I liked you until you introduced your modern politics into this forum, now everything you write I'll tend to dismiss, even if it's good.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM

286 posts, read 699,583 times
Rome was already on the inevitable path towards either a dictatorship or dissolution.

The fundamental problem was the Roman Republic (read: oligarchy) was incapable of managing a large empire. The aristocratic Senate had little willingness to compromise or adapt to the realities of governing a large empire, so you saw basically 100 years of political instability and civil war.

As far as Caesar goes, he was in a precarious spot. People today consider him quintessential dictator, but this is a one-dimensional characterization. Funny they make no mention of the Roman dictator Sulla who slaughtered several thousand political enemies just years earlier.

Caesar's two fundamental mistakes were granting amnesty to Pompey's allies. Possibly this was attempt to bury the hatchet and buy some stability. There is no reason to think this would turn out well. Secondly, he had a tendency to trounce on important cultural symbols, which in the grand scheme of things are meaningless except, of course, to the people who value them.

Octavian would not make the same mistakes. If he didn't kill his enemies outright on the battle field, he did it by declaring them enemies of the state which would seal their fate. Secondly, he was smart enough to be emperor in everything but name. He set up a military dictatorship but kept it subtle. Quite gangster.

As it turns out, the assassins basically paved the way for Octavian who had a better temperament for overseeing a large empire. If Caesar hadn't be assassinated, I think it's likely the civil wars would have continued, which the would have led to collapse of the empire into some minor Italian state.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I liked you until you introduced your modern politics into this forum, now everything you write I'll tend to dismiss, even if it's good.
Good luck struggling with that tendency. History does not exist in a vacuum.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Good luck struggling with that tendency. History does not exist in a vacuum.
I know that and generally I can put aside people's modern politics when they're reasonable. Which yours don't appear to be, such as your saying Obama is being groomed for kingship. That is just so ridiculous as to call into question anything you say.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I know that and generally I can put aside people's modern politics when they're reasonable. Which yours don't appear to be, such as your saying Obama is being groomed for kingship. That is just so ridiculous as to call into question anything you say.
It's called a metaphor, Tom. I am well aware that we do not have a monarchy.

We do, however, currently have a Chief executive who seems above criticism by large swaths of our media and intelligentsia whose responsibilty in our democratic system would seem to rest on acting as a vigorous sounding board for free and open discussion, seasoned with a generous proportion of skepticism.

Because history is filled with examples of mischief committed by powerful leaders with the aid of cowed or complicit organs of public communication, I find this silence troubling. You do not. These are the choices we have made, as it is our right to do so. Neither point of view, I would think, is ridiculous or unreasonable.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
In case anyone did not notice, today is the Ides of March, March 15, the day on which in 44 BC he was killed.
Is a little late to mention this, but today is the day commemorated by history and by Shakespeare.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:37 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Do you think he would have been an effective ruler?
A major civil war might have been avoided, saving the Empire a lot of men and resources. Given a few more years, Caesar could have better prepared the way for his Octavian to succeed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History