Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM

135 posts, read 412,632 times

Advertisements

Before he passed, my grandfather wrote me a letter about his family line. His grandfather was a Confederate soldier (MO/Ky) in a society during the Civil War called The Golden Circle. As was his dad before him during Mex-Am war.
I'm about to research online, but any info would be great. Who were these men? What was there objective? Where can I obtain more info?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl75 View Post
Before he passed, my grandfather wrote me a letter about his family line. His grandfather was a Confederate soldier (MO/Ky) in a society during the Civil War called The Golden Circle. As was his dad before him during Mex-Am war.
I'm about to research online, but any info would be great. Who were these men? What was there objective? Where can I obtain more info?

Thanks.
Google says: Knights of the Golden Circle

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
You are referencing The Knights of the Golden Circle which was a forerunner of the KKK. It was founded in the SW in the mid 1850's as a secret society pledged to promoting the interests of white Christians.

The "golden circle" described an ambition, that Mexico, Central America and Cuba would one day be annexed by the US and established as slave colonies.

The organization expanded, became less secret, and eventually emerged in a far larger form as the Copperheads, those Northerners who sympathized with the South and opposed the war against them. Their membership was large in the mid western states, particularly in the Southern portions of Indiana, Illinois and Ohio.

Their cause was crushed when Abraham Lincoln was reelected in 1864 and their political organization drifted apart. They found a new venue for their expression and activities after the war when the Klan was founded. Northern membership in the KKK was composed largely of former Knights

Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM

135 posts, read 412,632 times
kkk???
I haven't read anything like that yet, but I do say I'm not enjoying what I've found online so far. Seeing as my gggg-grandfather lived near Lexington where it was orig. formed, and was a confederate I can see how it may be true. However, my gg grandfather married an Osage woman, and my grandfather married a Chilen/Mexican...doesn't sound much like KKK. unless they didn't care to hold up his their ancestors ideals.
Think I'll keep this little gem to myself and not pass it on to my children.
Thanks.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM

275 posts, read 396,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl75 View Post
kkk???
I haven't read anything like that yet, but I do say I'm not enjoying what I've found online so far. Seeing as my gggg-grandfather lived near Lexington where it was orig. formed, and was a confederate I can see how it may be true. However, my gg grandfather married an Osage woman, and my grandfather married a Chilen/Mexican...doesn't sound much like KKK. unless they didn't care to hold up his their ancestors ideals.
Think I'll keep this little gem to myself and not pass it on to my children.
Thanks.
Well, the KGC was not connected to the KKK at all, nor did it have the same purpose. It did support the institution of Slavery and the expansion of that institution, but that was true of many people during that era, but the KGC had members in both the north and the south.
Considering the many conspiracy theories involving the KGC (most of which have remarkably little hard evidence), it might actually be sort of an interesting item to pass on to your children.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You are referencing The Knights of the Golden Circle which was a forerunner of the KKK. It was founded in the SW in the mid 1850's as a secret society pledged to promoting the interests of white Christians.

The "golden circle" described an ambition, that Mexico, Central America and Cuba would one day be annexed by the US and established as slave colonies.

The organization expanded, became less secret, and eventually emerged in a far larger form as the Copperheads, those Northerners who sympathized with the South and opposed the war against them. Their membership was large in the mid western states, particularly in the Southern portions of Indiana, Illinois and Ohio.

Their cause was crushed when Abraham Lincoln was reelected in 1864 and their political organization drifted apart. They found a new venue for their expression and activities after the war when the Klan was founded. Northern membership in the KKK was composed largely of former Knights
I have read some of the KGC, but I'm not too sure if it was a forerunner to the KKK as you state.

In essence it was a Knights Templar/Freemasons of the Southern US/CSA.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I have read some of the KGC, but I'm not too sure if it was a forerunner to the KKK as you state.

In essence it was a Knights Templar/Freemasons of the Southern US/CSA.
I suppose it could have been a parallel organization. The Freemasons were well established in the Southern states well before the Civil War. Of course, nothing would have prevented people from joining several different organizations.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 PM

275 posts, read 396,924 times
The KGC was dissolved in 1864, while the first KKK was not organized until 1865, so they existed at different time periods. The goal of the KGC was to prepare for the annexation of the "Golden Circle" territories as Slave states, while the KKK's goal was restore White supremacy during the Reconstruction era, so their aims were different as well.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
The KGC was dissolved in 1864, while the first KKK was not organized until 1865, so they existed at different time periods. The goal of the KGC was to prepare for the annexation of the "Golden Circle" territories as Slave states, while the KKK's goal was restore White supremacy during the Reconstruction era, so their aims were different as well.
Different? Both had as their goal, white Christian domination of their society. One may have been concerned with expanding that society, and the other with trying to ressurect it, but the aim was the same.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
I don't pretend to know much about this other than a few mentions of it in things I've read after seeing this thread. However, I fail to see your logic here.

The KGC was dedicated to the preservation of slavery and annexation of slave states in the "golden circle" territories and the dominance of white Christians. They disbanded in 1864 when the Civil War was all but lost.

The KKK appears less than a year later dedicated to the idea of establishing and maintaining white Christian supremacy in the former slave states during Reconstruction.

Seems to me like the members of the KGC realized that their goal of a separate "slave nation" was unattainable at that time, so they fell back on preserving the place of white Christians as supreme in the south. I mean, it's not like the two groups were separated by decades, it was mere months.

Think about it this way. Club "A" dissolves so the people who really cared about what Club "A" stood for go off and form Club "B". It doesn't mean that the entirety of "A" became "B", but they are certainly linked.

Following that chain of logic, it would seem that the statment that the KGC was the progenitor of the KKK is in fact correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History