Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Cool. Now I don't have to go. Looking at pictures is just about the same as being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Chamy, you would love the Getty museums in CA. One is is Malibu, one in Brentwood.

The admission is FREE and the Brentwood museum has a large lawn area (complete with views of L.A.) that's perfect for a picnic lunch. (And the collections and special exhibts are wonderful.)

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Great idea for a thread, Antlered! I assume these photos are from the Metropolitan Museum?

Awesome works....and when YOU get to Italy , you can see Caravaggio's The Calling of St Matthew in Rome....and other grand works in Florence and in situ. Seeing them in a museum is wonderful but seeing them where they were initially installed is truly a moving experience...like the Duomo dome and Sistine Chapel etc. The current doors of the Baptistery are copies and the original doors under glass elsewhere in Florence, having been cleaned and moved due to erosion.

Look forward to your other photos....
Good work AC

Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Chamy, you would love the Getty museums in CA. One is is Malibu, one in Brentwood.

The admission is FREE and the Brentwood museum has a large lawn area (complete with views of L.A.) that's perfect for a picnic lunch. (And the collections and special exhibts are wonderful.)
Thank you, Dew. I need a vacation, badly, given that I am in between girlfriends. I gotta escape from the drudge of the world I am in at the moment. Too much work, no play, no love, no aestheticism and it's fricking cold already

Pick one museum for me and I'll do that one weekend in November.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Great idea for a thread, Antlered! I assume these photos are from the Metropolitan Museum?

Awesome works....and when YOU get to Italy , you can see Caravaggio's The Calling of St Matthew in Rome....and other grand works in Florence and in situ. Seeing them in a museum is wonderful but seeing them where they were initially installed is truly a moving experience...like the Duomo dome and Sistine Chapel etc. The current doors of the Baptistery are copies and the original doors under glass elsewhere in Florence, having been cleaned and moved due to erosion.

Look forward to your other photos....
Good work AC
I need to get to a certain level in life, when I can safely take 3 weeks off to Europe with my family.

These days, given the economy and competition, even a four day absence is enough for your adversaries to convince the boss that you are not needed and that it can be offshored/outsourced

Those wonderful days of Antlers are definitely in the future. A sweet, romantic, paddling night trip on the waters of Venice in that legendary Venetian boat with a sofa, with my missus porting a deep cleavage top, so I can bury my head in her bosom LMAO

I need to spend quality time and bring out my other pictures from the met museum I have not uploaded yet. And I'm gonna go again and again, I'll have to bring better pictures.

Given the response the thread has generated, it's very encouraging. I love me the arts and I love the fact that there are fellow art aficionados

Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Those wonderful days of Antlers are definitely in the future. A sweet, romantic, paddling night trip on the waters of Venice in that legendary Venetian boat with a sofa, with my missus porting a deep cleavage top, so I can bury my head in her bosom LMAO
Whatever you do, avoid Venice in the summer, particularly in August. The city has a very unique smell at that time and it would be best to avoid it, lol.

Of course the entire city is just one massive art and architectural feast. In terms of engineering, the fact that the city exists at all is simply amazing.

Saint Marks:

Bridge of Sighs:

Rialto Bridge:

Piazza San Marco:

Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Thank you, Dew. I need a vacation, badly, given that I am in between girlfriends. I gotta escape from the drudge of the world I am in at the moment. Too much work, no play, no love, no aestheticism and it's fricking cold already

Pick one museum for me and I'll do that one weekend in November.
Hmmm... One museum. Please give me a few parameters. (Art, science, history.) I'll assume you want to stay within the U.S.? This will be like picking my favorite Beatles song. It's going to depend on the time of day and my mood.

(Does this museum have to have a lot of the female anatomy on display or will you settle for seeing that among your fellow museum-goers? )

Suggestions, please, on "Where Should Chamy Go"? (Wait. That came out wrong. )

Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Well, since he is in NYC, it would be a short trip down to Philadelphia to see the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Getting there is incredibly easy from NYC, just take Amtrak to 30th Street Station in Philly and snag a cab for a quick 5 minute ride to the museum.

Philadelphia Museum of Art

There is plenty to see in the permanent galleries and the current special exhibits are focused on the Dutch masters. The current one that runs through the 30th is a collection of "Faces of Jesus" by Rembrandt.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
Ah, the Met. I could even hear & smell the place whilst looking at your pictures!

Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm... One museum. Please give me a few parameters. (Art, science, history.) I'll assume you want to stay within the U.S.? This will be like picking my favorite Beatles song. It's going to depend on the time of day and my mood.

(Does this museum have to have a lot of the female anatomy on display or will you settle for seeing that among your fellow museum-goers? )

Suggestions, please, on "Where Should Chamy Go"? (Wait. That came out wrong. )

That would be the main criterion LMAO. Anything with the works of dudes as Bernini, David, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Titian, Rubens, Velasquez, Cezanne......

I was thinking in the West Coast, in your zone. Am not as much into real life female anatomy unless I'm getting involved romantically That doesn't mean I don't catch a glimpse here and there, hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History