Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

This thread solicits examples of confident predictions, unassailable assurances, expert evaluations and can't miss projections....

I shall begin witha few examples.

Quote:
We are no longer fearful of their intervention. We no longer stand hat in hand. The Chinese have 300,000 men in Manchuria. Of these probably not more than 100–115,000 are distributed along the Yalu River. Only 50–60,000 could be gotten across the Yalu River. They have no Air Force. Now that we have bases for our Air Force In Korea. if the Chinese tried to get down to Pyongyang there would be the greatest slaughter.
General Douglas MacArthur to President Harry Truman on Wake Island, responding to the president's question about the probability of Chinese intervention in Korea. October 15th, 1950.

or...

Quote:
"War may begin in the Pacific at any moment. But I want you to know that no matter what happens, the United States Navy is ready. Every man is at his post, every ship is at its station. The Navy is ready. Whatever happens, the Navy is not going to be caught napping."
US Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox, speaking at a dinner honoring VP Henry Wallace....December 4th, 1941

or....

Quote:
This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine. Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you: ' ... We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again....
.......My good friends, this is the second time in our history that there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And now I recommend you to go home and sleep quietly in your beds
British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, upon returning from the Munich Conference with Adolph Hitler, September 30th, 1938.

or...

"Give me 80 soldiers and I can ride through the entire Sioux nation."
William Judd Fetterman ..1866, who with exactly 80 soldiers under his command, was lured into an ambush and had his entire force slain by Crazy Horse and Sioux warriors.

Last edited by Grandstander; 11-26-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

bush admits there were no WMDs in IRAQ - YouTube

Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
^^^^^ Would you send your kids to a Junior High School, where the teachers were that inarticulate and illogical and incapable of answering questions from kids who raised their hands?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
....General John Sedgwick to his ducking and dodging troops at the battle of Spotsylvania, seconds before a bullet struck him just below the left eye and killed him.

Quote:
"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face not Gary Cooper."
Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

Quote:
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

Quote:
"You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference".
The Big Dick at his concession press conference following his 1962 defeat for governor of California.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:43 AM

May 21, 2011 Is Judgment Day; Family Radio's Harold Camping Prepares for Biblical Rapture - YouTube

Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
''You only have to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down''

- Hitler on invading the Soviet Union

Old 11-27-2011, 06:20 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
President-elect Obama’s new science advisor, John Holdren, was concerned about global cooling too. In Ecoscience: Population, Resources, and Environment (1977: p. 686), Paul Ehrlich, Anne Ehrlich, and Holdren stated:
“Many observers have speculated that the cooling could be the beginning of a long and persistent trend in that direction—that is, an inevitable departure from an abnormally warm period in climatic history.”

John Holdren on Global Cooling (Part I in a Series on Obama's new science advisor, 'Dr. Doom') — MasterResource

Oops.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Paul Ehrlich strikes again. From the Population Bomb, via wikipedia

: "I don't see how India could possibly feed two hundred million more people by 1980."[4] This view was widely held at the time, as another statement of his, later in the book: "I have yet to meet anyone familiar with the situation who thinks that India will be self-sufficient in food by 1971." In the book's 1971 edition, the latter prediction was removed, as the food situation in India suddenly improved. As of 2010, India had almost 1.2 billion people, having nearly tripled its population from around 400 million in 1960. India's Total Fertility Rate in 2008 was calculated to be 2.6.[21] While the absolute numbers of malnourished children in India is high,[22] the rates of malnutrition and poverty in India have declined from approximately 90% at the time of India's independence, to less than 40% today. Ehrlich's prediction about famines were found to be false, although food security is an issue in India. However, most epidemiologists, public health physicians and demographers identify corruption as the chief cause of malnutrition, not "overpopulation".[23] As Nobel Prize winning economist Amartya Sen noted, India frequently had famines during British colonial rule. However, when India became a democracy, there have been no recorded famines.[24]

Oops again.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 PM

Titanic Scene from The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964) - YouTube

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
The Y2K Millennium Bug. Hundreds of billions was spent to solve this non-existent problem. As the year 2000 arrived absolutely nothing of note happened. Chicken Licken in the political world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History