Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM

352 posts, read 1,004,473 times

Advertisements

I doubt the Roman Empire had citizenship laws like the United States does, but I'll ask anyway
Since Jesus was born in Bethelem, a territory of the Roman Empire at the time, does that make him a citizen of the Roman Empire? Or does Jesus' ethnicity preclude him from that status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
I doubt the Roman Empire had citizenship laws like the United States does, but I'll ask anyway
Since Jesus was born in Bethelem, a territory of the Roman Empire at the time, does that make him a citizen of the Roman Empire? Or does Jesus' ethnicity preclude him from that status?
Probably not. The Roman Empire, as you point out, did not treat citizenship the way we do.

Jus gentium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Jesus was the same ethnicity as Paul and he was a citizen.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
There isn't any proof outside of the bible that he even existed at that time.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
There is a detailed article on Roman citizenship (its evolution, who qualified, etc.) on Wikipedia. I'm not interested enough in the thread to have bothered to do more than skim the article, but perhaps the answer will be found there.

Roman citizenship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
There isn't any proof outside of the bible that he even existed at that time.
An interesting topic in itself. This is not entirely accurate however - Jesus existence is documented in several non-christian and non-religious sources (Roman and Jewish documents from that time). Very few non-christian or agnostic historians currently deny the existence of a man names Jesus that was crucified during that time.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I think Jesus' ethnicity included Him to that status. He was a native of a Roman-occupied land. He even said it was proper to give Caesar his due (tax money).

Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
An interesting topic in itself. This is not entirely accurate however - Jesus existence is documented in several non-christian and non-religious sources (Roman and Jewish documents from that time). .
Not true. No mention of Jesus appears in a Roman source until long after the supposed death.

If you believe otherwise, please provide your source. You might wish to get up to speed here by reading the section called "Greco-Roman Pagan sources"
in this link.
Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
Roman citizen status was rather exclusive amongst non-Italians. It was accorded usually for some significant reason (long military service and such). Also, Jesus's manner of death would indicate that he wasn't. A Roman citizen was entitled to trial by Roman authorities (ie the provincial governor) and a "clean" death by decapitation.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Roman citizen status was rather exclusive amongst non-Italians. It was accorded usually for some significant reason (long military service and such). Also, Jesus's manner of death would indicate that he wasn't. A Roman citizen was entitled to trial by Roman authorities (ie the provincial governor) and a "clean" death by decapitation.
Jesus was tried by Pontius Pilate before His crucifixion. I don't know if that means a Jew would have had the same status as an Italian citizen. Probably not. They were an occupied people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History