Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 PM

116 posts, read 314,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizotypalAureliusz View Post
'I never heard of' is more invalid that argument 'I heard about'
'I never heard' here is polite "I don't believe you and I think you are wrong and biased". You make vague and weird statements and don't care to provide any proofs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I haven't bothered researching the evolution of the word, but it seems to me the concept of Western in its current incarnation was originally little else than shorthand for Protestant.
Along with the contributions of classical Greece and Rome, the development and spread of Christianity in Europe via the Catholic church is the cornerstone of the definition of Western Civilization. The protestant reformation is relatively late chapter in the story.

At least that is what they teach in American High Schools and the Western Civ 101 course I took in my freshman year of university.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 AM

46 posts, read 62,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyvacant View Post
'I never heard' here is polite "I don't believe you and I think you are wrong and biased". You make vague and weird statements and don't care to provide any proofs.
What proofs? Statements of historians, who twenty years ago proved that the Edison stole light bulb project from Russian peasant, and the Polish policemen had fled from a trip to the Katyn forest to Manchuria? They don't have time to check, what attitude have Russian to Moniuszko or Bogusławski, because they was trying to discovered, why Polish want convince peacefully set Hitler for the attack on the The Soviet Union which was fighting with English fascism. Or something like that - actual state depend on the current interpretation of the fifth book of Ulyanov.
-------------
Stanisław Tym on the benefit of Alosza Andriejew about Eastern history policy:

4. Stanis

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
There is a quote that I can't find, so I must not have it exactly right; however, it goes something like this:

Russia's problem is that it sees itself as the easternmost of the Western countries, when in fact it is the westernmost of the Eastern countries.

Nelson DeMille uses it at the beginning of one of the chapters of The Charm School, but I don't have a copy.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
I thought the east vs. west came from the Berlin wall and the as the soviets in ontrol of the east Germans and we had the west Germans

Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Russia's problem is that it sees itself as the easternmost of the Western countries, when in fact it is the westernmost of the Eastern countries.
Someone was trying to say something profound and original apparently, but didn't achieve the purpose.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
You have to actually be in the west to be called a western country.

Did you fail geography?
This is not ENTIRELY true as Australia and New Zealand are considered Western countries even though they are to the east of China, while people do not always consider Mexico and the rest of Latin America to be western despite their location. Also, Austria is considered a Western country while Poland and Hungary are not Western countries.

Russia is culturally and historically different from the West. They use a different alphabet and have the Russian/Eastern Orthodox religion. They also were communist for a long time and even today there is not real democracy there.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
With that video of the new year in Moscow, that song REALLY evoked Soviet images like Red Army tanks and massive armies parading through Red Square. There is just "something" about the music that despite being set to fireworks, it just makes me think of the Soviet Union. Was this song also the Soviet national anthem, or was the Internationale, the worldwide communist anthem, the Soviet anthem? I could also imagine that music set to a North Korean military show presided by the Kim Jong family.

Also I tend to think that "modern Russia" was founded by Lenin during the communist revolution.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
With that video of the new year in Moscow, that song REALLY evoked Soviet images like Red Army tanks and massive armies parading through Red Square.
And it should. Putin returned the anthem written originally in Stalin's times.
( Stalin's name simply has been removed from it long time ago.)
So what seems to be the problem?

Quote:
Also I tend to think that "modern Russia" was founded by Lenin during the communist revolution.
Lenin is turning in his grave looking at modern Russia))))
All great Russian revolutionaries do))))

Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is not ENTIRELY true as Australia and New Zealand are considered Western countries even though they are to the east of China, while people do not always consider Mexico and the rest of Latin America to be western despite their location. Also, Austria is considered a Western country while Poland and Hungary are not Western countries.

Russia is culturally and historically different from the West. They use a different alphabet and have the Russian/Eastern Orthodox religion. They also were communist for a long time and even today there is not real democracy there.
Hungary is a Western country. So is Poland.
Russia isn't - not only because of the alphabet and the religion but also the mentality. Democracy has been a minority belief in Russia. Russians care more about competence and strength than they do about freedom. The "Good Czar" mentality still exists (although I hope it will change, I can't be too optimistic)

Before they were communist, they were like a Christian version of Saudi Arabia under the czars, despite some insufficient attempts at reform. They come from a cultural mindset more foreign to the western mentality than Latin America, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History