Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I think all of you are forgetting the American Indians. Almost without exception, American Indian females were far more to be feared than the male "warriors". Though the males were on the front line, it was the females that white survivors had to truly consider and contend with.

As for me, I'd much rather encounter male American Indian warriors than their women. But hey, that's just me.

-- Nighteyes (Choctaw)
Nothing like being hacked apart piece by piece by screaming women or kicked down a hill with one end of your intestines tied to a stake at the top, eh? Ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Japan had female Ninjas who were especially well suited to that "trade" it seems.

There were cults of female Amazon Indian warriors too, as well as female warriors among the Pazyryk culture, of which the "ice princess" grave and mummy is the most famous.

Roman Gladiatorial matches often featured women too, as the Romans were fascinated by naked women fighting just as we are today.

My guess is that most warrior women of antiquity were seriously butch, and not as attractive to modern men as Hollywood style warrior babes. They were probably dressed too.
You just HAD to ruin this nerd's fantasy, didn't you?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Japan had female Ninjas who were especially well suited to that "trade" it seems.

There were cults of female Amazon Indian warriors too, as well as female warriors among the Pazyryk culture, of which the "ice princess" grave and mummy is the most famous.

Roman Gladiatorial matches often featured women too, as the Romans were fascinated by naked women fighting just as we are today.

My guess is that most warrior women of antiquity were seriously butch, and not as attractive to modern men as Hollywood style warrior babes. They were probably dressed too.
Did they really fight in the buff? I thought that was a Greek thing...ooh now I'm wondering if there were any Greek female warriors. Was it the Spartans who fought in the nude?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Did they really fight in the buff? I thought that was a Greek thing...ooh now I'm wondering if there were any Greek female warriors. Was it the Spartans who fought in the nude?
I'm sure it happened.

But it was the Norther Celtic cultures (ancient Irish and Scotts) that thought the manliest thing possible was to swing their sword and dong simultaneously on the battlefield. The Viking Beserkers went rampaging in the buff too, I hear. It really was a Northern barbarian thing, in other words.

Spartans, not so much. Ancient Greece was sexist as hell and the Spartans were sexist even for ancient Greeks, so I highly doubt there were any female warriors there.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it happened.

But it was the Norther Celtic cultures (ancient Irish and Scotts) that thought the manliest thing possible was to swing their sword and dong simultaneously on the battlefield. The Viking Beserkers went rampaging in the buff too, I hear. It really was a Northern barbarian thing, in other words.

Spartans, not so much. Ancient Greece was sexist as hell and the Spartans were sexist even for ancient Greeks, so I highly doubt there were any female warriors there.
I'm pretty sure I read about at least one of the Greek city states also having the custom of fighting naked. Or maybe they just wrestled naked, which is kind of homo-erotic lol.

Yeah those Celts were pretty brave, I guess their swords really did intimidate the enemy lol.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
I always doubted anyone actually fought nude as there is a natural tendency to protect the private areas. I suppose unarmored would be accurate or dressed only with a loin cloth but not with privates hanging.

I mean in genuine military combat not ceremonial settings.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Surprisingly the history of ancient Siam is full of instances of brave female warriors. The most famous was the Siamese warrior-queen Suriyothai.

Queen Somdet Phra Sri Suriyothai died valiantly in battle during the Burmese-Siamese War of 1548.

There is a heroic statuary monument to her in full armor riding on the back of an elephant. There was also a high-budget epic movie made about her in Thailand about 10 years ago.

Last edited by Clark Park; 02-03-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 11:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

I suppose unarmored would be accurate or dressed only with a loin cloth but not with privates hanging.
I used to hang out with privates ... and corporals and sergeants, too!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark park View Post
i used to hang out with privates ... And corporals and sergeants, too!
:d

Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
There is evidence of ancient warrior women in Eurasia.

Warrior Women of Eurasia

Ancient Warrior women in Ukraine

Ukraine Warrior Women

Theory of Warrior Women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History