Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

Hmmm... I think I'll lie and say I was on the Carpathia, heroically stoking the engines and screaming "Faster, mates, faster! There are lives to be saved!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
I was on the upper deck eating foo foo shrimp and listening to the musicians serenade us. My husband to be in this life was down in the coal room keeping the thing afloat.
We went to a Titanic exhibition (featuring part of the hull and other things) years ago in Phoenix and we got "tickets" when entering and they were tickets about who you were for that trip I was an upper crusted, ha, woman and he was a lower deck guy. We still laugh about it today.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm... I think I'll lie and say I was on the Carpathia, heroically stoking the engines and screaming "Faster, mates, faster! There are lives to be saved!!"
I would prefer to be the first officer on the California smacking Captain Lord over his thick and uncomprehending head.

"WAKE UP YOU FOOL!"

Actually, I remember the first time I sat in a library and read the news papers of the time and the abject classism of the reporting. The awful bemoaning of the loss of the rich and famous and the unfortunate saving of so many of low birth was too much for me to take, even then.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Anyone remember The Onion's take on this event..from their "Our Dumb Century" book:

Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now that you mention it, I must have been 8 or 9. It was terrifying but I loved Kenneth Moore.
I was an absolute addict of Upstairs Downstairs, and when Lady Marjary went down in the sea it was almost like losing someone you knew. And the later episode where her ladies maid is found and sent home, having been in a hospital without her memory, but clutching this box of jewelry... her description of the horror is like being there in the room with her.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I was on the upper deck eating foo foo shrimp and listening to the musicians serenade us. My husband to be in this life was down in the coal room keeping the thing afloat.
We went to a Titanic exhibition (featuring part of the hull and other things) years ago in Phoenix and we got "tickets" when entering and they were tickets about who you were for that trip I was an upper crusted, ha, woman and he was a lower deck guy. We still laugh about it today.
Any ghosts? Ghost Hunters did a show in the exibit, after numerous reports of sightings and feelings and especially things connected to objects. They found a lot of activity, especially around personal items, as if a little of the memory or lifeforce had stayed.

That is one I'd have loved to gone to.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was an absolute addict of Upstairs Downstairs, and when Lady Marjary went down in the sea it was almost like losing someone you knew. And the later episode where her ladies maid is found and sent home, having been in a hospital without her memory, but clutching this box of jewelry... her description of the horror is like being there in the room with her.
Me too. What did Rose say? "Such a big ship....."

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was an absolute addict of Upstairs Downstairs, and when Lady Marjary went down in the sea it was almost like losing someone you knew.
Netflix here I come...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You claim it was a joke, but why should we accept that? Most of us suspect it was the act of Comanche Nationalist terrorists.
Shhhhh...that's classified.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was a gangster in my previous life (according to my friends who think it's hilarious that I can't sit with my back to the door), so I must have been out committing some crime or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, I am the same way! I always say I must have been Wild Bill Hickock in a past life.

I don't want my back to the room when I'm at a restaurant, either.
Either that or you were cops.

I left law enforcement almost 25 years ago and still can't sit with my back to a door. Thankfully, my wife is well "trained" and accomodates my paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History