Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If there had never been immigrants, America would be all Indians.

Every single non-Indian here comes from someone who immigrated from somewhere.
Did Indians sprout up from the North American soil? BTW, the OP obviously means beginning at the U.S.'s inception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Why does every debate to do with U.S. immigration always seem to fall back on cuisine?
We're hungry.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Actually it was 30 million native Americans estimated, from the top of my head...
I was thinking of all of North America..you are probably right it was less than my number but not that much less..anyway 30 million is a lot...the population of Canada is now pushing about 35 million..That's a whole nation.

In the last 100 years my family has migrated from the boarder of China..all though Russia...into Europe and England...to Canada...into the states...central America...and now my youngest son recently wed a young girl from Chile...He will eventually end up there I am sure.

Just goes to show you how far people spread in just 3 generations. Due to war- revolution and general social unrest and famine (artificial and natural)..some in a way are on the run.

Genetically speaking some families are highly independent..and it is sometimes the non compliant that are the biggest re-locators...Look at America it was a nation filled with those who refused to bow and submit..THAT trait...is what made the empire great. Now all immigration seems to be based on common economics..that is what is now making AMERICA not so great..

Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
I'm guessing people in the Southern half of the U.S. have deeper roots in what's now the U.S. than those in the North.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm guessing people in the Southern half of the U.S. have deeper roots in what's now the U.S. than those in the North.
Immigrants from 300 years ago who were smart went to where the climate was the most comfortable. The rest had to settle for snow..the south was the economic engine during the great agricultural era.

The south do have deeper roots and do represent the classic AMERICAN..who is extremely interesting - Have you watched an episode of Swamp People? From a Canadian perspective these folks are so cool...honest- down to earth and rugged in a tribal way...much more representative of real America than those Wall Street northern folks.......I have more respect for red neck culture than high end northern culture.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
....I have more respect for red neck culture than high end northern culture.
Perhaps that will be the next PC movement, rednecks demanding respect and an end to red neck jokes.

The starting point for such a dynamic would be changing the name...even while announcing your respect for them, you still employed the pejorative "red neck" in identifying them. What is needed is some "-------- -Americans" style title. What could that be? "Rural-Americans?" "Informal-Americans?" "Working class-Americans?" "Educationally challenged-Americans?" "Country Americans?" "

Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Why does every debate to do with U.S. immigration always seem to fall back on cuisine?
I'm a food nerd so it's my perspective. Only one of many.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
My ancestors would be one HAPPY bunch...or does this pertain to the Gummermint allowing immigration?

Old 04-21-2012, 02:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I was thinking of all of North America..you are probably right it was less than my number but not that much less..anyway 30 million is a lot...the population of Canada is now pushing about 35 million..That's a whole nation.

In the last 100 years my family has migrated from the boarder of China..all though Russia...into Europe and England...to Canada...into the states...central America...and now my youngest son recently wed a young girl from Chile...He will eventually end up there I am sure.

Just goes to show you how far people spread in just 3 generations. Due to war- revolution and general social unrest and famine (artificial and natural)..some in a way are on the run.

Genetically speaking some families are highly independent..and it is sometimes the non compliant that are the biggest re-locators...Look at America it was a nation filled with those who refused to bow and submit..THAT trait...is what made the empire great. Now all immigration seems to be based on common economics..that is what is now making AMERICA not so great..
Yes, and the heart of what makes us who we are. We move a lot. Most Americans can trace their ancesty back to multiple stops, since the people who chose to come were the ones to let go and take a chance. Try something new. My family first came in the 1600's, but every generation or so moved on. They went through Kentucky/Tennessee/W Virginia west from the eastern shores and all the way from Texas to Minnesota to California.

There is a core family in the midwest, but when I decided I'd had enough of socal traffic, noise, smog and rush, and decided to move to rural Oklahoma I DID feel as if I was connecting to my ancestors and when I got confused looks, wondered if the ones with roots caught in the ground had looked at my ancestors like that too.

This has been a huge contribution to our national character, and shaped us as people and individuals and will continue to.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm a food nerd so it's my perspective. Only one of many.
And foods are one of the first things to migrate from one social setting to another. First, the taste and feel of a new set of seasonings and then using the pieces of it in what is our pollyglot of normal 'american' food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History