Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

It might have been necessary, but it's nothing to celebrate. What the hell is the matter with people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
OP: I'm so proud that we vaporized 166,000 people! USA! USA!

The OP is beyond depraved for "celebrating" this act of mass murder.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 AM

414 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
OP: I'm so proud that we vaporized 166,000 people! USA! USA!

The OP is beyond depraved for "celebrating" this act of mass murder.
I was not mass murder. Those type people were collateral damage in a time of war that they started at Pearl Harbor. They had to be sacrificed in order to prevent up to a million U.S. servicemen from being killed in a Invasion of Japan.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
What do you expect from someone who thinks that the nuclear weapons were blessed by god?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
I was not mass murder. Those type people were collateral damage in a time of war that they started at Pearl Harbor. They had to be sacrificed in order to prevent up to a million U.S. servicemen from being killed in a Invasion of Japan.
Look, dude, I don't celebrate the deployment of a nuclear weapon, even if it was a necessary evil. What I DO celebrate is the bravery of our troops in WW 2, and the Greatest Generation that made victory happen.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
Whether it was necessary or not is not the topic of this thread, it's your apparent celebration of this massive loss of life. And that is simply abhorrent.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
My father was in the Army and slated to go to the Pacific. So I'm awfully glad that it happened. Anybody who believes the Japanese were going to hoist the surrender flag are just kidding themselves. Instead, the horrible ordeal of Okinawa was just a taste of what we Americans could expect had we landed on the home islands. The casualties, among combatants and civilians alike, would have been astronomical. And that doesn't even count the almost certain aftermath of social chaos, disease, and starvation.

To me, here's the salient question for the knee-jerk "atomic bombs are bad" crowd. How is dropping an atomic bomb any worse than firebombing? Or carpet bombing? Or saturation bombing? The result is the same. Tens of thousands of civilians die. The only difference is that the atomic bomb required one plane. Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined had far fewer casualties than the Rape of Nanking, an atrocity committed one bullet and one bayonet thrust at a time. How come the Japanese ambassador doesn't fly over there every year on the anniversary of its beginning?

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Absolutely unneccasary atrocity resulting in the death of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians.
This topic has been discussed many a time in the history forum. Needless to say, those that are knowledgable about history:
know about the unwillingness of Japan to surrendor,
know the planned invastion of Japan by allied troops,
know the expected casualty figures to both American soldier and Japanes civilians in the invasion,
know about the remaining bunkered troops existing in Japan in fortified areas,
know about the continuing Japanese attrocities committed to both POW's and civilians in it's occupied areas
know that Japan had already endured these casualties in firebombings

know the truth. It was ABSOLUTELY neccessary. As one poster said, you have to be informed of history to know the truth, otherwise you are just formulating a judgemental and emotional opinion.
Going into the facts is a rerun for me, but they are out there - expected casualty rates, Japanes unit compositions and stregth remaining on the island, japanese plans to resist the invasion, political facts on Japan's unwillingness to surrendor even after one atomic bomb dropping, etc. The facts are overwhelmingly in support of the bombings. There really is no argument or debate against, except by the uninformed.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-06-2012 at 09:42 AM..

3,345 posts, read 3,074,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Proud of killing innocent people?
Patriotism is linked to killing innocent people?

Wow, I don't think I could ever be an R.

I'm not proud and I guess I'm not patriotic.
Thank ford for that.

Who would jebus nuke?
I am not a fan of war, but this was a case of having no other choice but much more death. There was about 0% chance of Japan surrendering which would have meant an invasion..... which would have cost 4-5 times more lives. Kind of a tragic lesser of 2 evils.

Very unfortunate, but neccesary.... I don't agree with the over the top celebrations that a few of the above are doing though

Old 08-06-2012, 09:33 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
It's a little-known fact that Jesus was pro-atomic war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History