Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times

Advertisements

I'm writing a book about the trends of the past century and I'd like to know more about this era? What are some important societal, pop cultural trends during this time period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
What are some important societal, pop cultural trends during this time period?
Here are a few of the basics:
WW1
Prohibition
The Depression
WW2

plus:
Rise of Soviet Communism
Nuclear Age
End of Colonialism

There are a lot more of course but that should keep you busy for a while.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,930 times
Quote:
I'm writing a book about the trends of the past century and I'd like to know more about this era? What are some important societal, pop cultural trends during this time period?
Have you not consulted a plethora of historical, sociological, and political science monographs that could possibly answer your question? The base of literature is rather large, so it might be best to consider the question "has my idea for a book already been written?"

Sorry to derail your thread, but I think this is a far more important question you need to ask yourself other than the more broad "what are some important societal, pop cultural trends during this time period?" I mean, the question you presented here is so broad that there could be no brief response--I mean as far as society goes you have the apex of political progressivism as well as the nadir of global racism (eugenics) in addition to strong appeals for laborers rights and women's rights.

In other words, I think you might have a bit too many issues to tackle in one book. Perhaps it might be best to think of separating your contribution to the literature into volumes because the period of 1914 to 1925 could be just one volume and the period from 1925 to 1939 could be another.

To be very brief, I believe you're trying to eat far more than anyone could possibly chew.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The technology changes alone are massive. Radio - cars - electricity in homes - indoor plumbing.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Forgive me for being so blunt, but...if you can not even answer this simple question, do you really think you are qualified to write a book?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Forgive me for being so blunt, but...if you can not even answer this simple question, do you really think you are qualified to write a book?
How about you chill out with your passive aggressive attitude. It's called doing research? I DO know a lot about pop culture, just not so much about this particular era. I don't want to be writing only about the 80s onward even though that's what I know best.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,930 times
Quote:
It's called doing research?
I'm not trying to be passive aggressive with the question here that follows, but is it really a solid research methodology to seek out information about your book topic on internet message board forums? I mean, wouldn't it be better to take a look at what has been written about the previous century rather than asking a really broad question on city data? You are aware that there's at least 15,000 or so books (a conservative estimate) on your question? Have you consulted those books?

Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
1914-1947 can not be called ONE era. There were too many major changes. Post WWII would certainly be an era all it's own. The drepression days was another era completly different.

And I think I will agree with a previous poster, you are a long way from the knowledge to write a book unless you can understand what was going on during those years. If there was such a thing as "trends" it would be up and down, up and down.

Is this perhaps a school asignment and you are looking for us to do your homework for you?

Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
I'm not trying to be passive aggressive with the question here that follows, but is it really a solid research methodology to seek out information about your book topic on internet message board forums? I mean, wouldn't it be better to take a look at what has been written about the previous century rather than asking a really broad question on city data? You are aware that there's at least 15,000 or so books (a conservative estimate) on your question? Have you consulted those books?
Sometimes it's better to get a concise answer from other human beings. Perhaps someone here could even share anecdotes of their parents/grandparents' experience, or perhaps if they're elderly even their own, of this era.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
It's called doing research?
No, it's not.

At *best*... this is asking random strangers for topics to do research on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History