Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm curious as to just how much weight the Iraq war will be given by historians. I mean just where does it rank interms of historical importance? It's pretty important now, but in historical terms where will it rank in importance. Only time will tell. It could be as important as Vietnam (which I think is receding) or will it become as obscure as the war with Mexico? Hell when you consider the body of literature even the Revolutionary War pales to the Civil War or World War 2.
This is a good point. It's hard to say how significant the Iraq war will be because we don't yet know if we're at the cusp of a protracted war with Islamic extremists or if the recent troubles are just a historical blip. I suspect it's the latter. The Iraq war will probably be akin to the War of 1812 one hundred to two hundred years from now. I think it will still be considered a costly, unnecessary blunder, and Bush will rightfully be remembered as the buffoon that he is.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This is a good point. It's hard to say how significant the Iraq war will be because we don't yet know if we're at the cusp of a protracted war with Islamic extremists or if the recent troubles are just a historical blip. I suspect it's the latter. The Iraq war will probably be akin to the War of 1812 one hundred to two hundred years from now. I think it will still be considered a costly, unnecessary blunder, and Bush will rightfully be remembered as the buffoon that he is.
Yeah, along with the "buffoons" in Congress (many of them Democrats) who voted to resume military action in Iraq.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:15 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, along with the "buffoons" in Congress (many of them Democrats) who voted to resume military action in Iraq.
I agree on this point too. I also implicate the media for a derilection of duty for not covering the Iraq war critically (in the initial stages). As incredible as it is to believe, the New York Times was sounding the drumbeat of war back in 2003. I think this war will be looked back on as one of America's darkest hours. We've had unnecessary wars before, but Iraq stands out as a spectacularly long, costly blunder. I suppose since there was no draft, most Americans did not bear the brunt of this war, but those of in the military did.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most people when asked who the worst President in all history is will say Bush or Obama, depending on their political leanings. Do you think its too soon to judge these Presidents in a historical sense? How long do you think it will be before we can? I have always thought history will judge Bush more kindly years from now. Harry Truman was hated and reviled in 1952 yet now he is generally thought of as a good President. Maybe we need to get past the Great Recession and see how things end up before we can say Bush is the worst President in all history. Personally I think Clinton is the most recent President we can even begin to judge in a historical sense and even that is pushing it. In 2000, most people thought Clinton's legacy would be Lewinsky and the sex scandals but as the years go by when people think of Clinton they are more likely to think of the booming '90s economy and the tech revolution than they are the sex scandals.
For the record only an idiot would consider Obama the worst president in all of history.

And to answer your question history can be anything considered from now to the beginning of time/space. The perspective/opinions Americans will have towards Bush now or fifty years from now will be both different. Same goes for Clinton, Bush, Obama, etc. And both both perspectives will be relevant for the time.

I believe when the next generation of Americans look back at Obama's presidency they will study a turning point of an era. A time when the old establishment made way for the future. And I'm pretty sure it'll be transcribed as such because the other side doesn't place the same value on education.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM

328 posts, read 682,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
People don't study history anymore. I bet most 20 year olds couldn't even tell you who Gerald Ford is.
Ask any high school kid TODAY......and they will tell you he is the person who make FORD cars.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Carter was considered the worst president in contemporary history and Bush didn't far so well, but, not nearly as bad a Carter. Obama has taken Carter's place in a huge way, which is unfortunate for him. He wants to be known for something honorable, I presume, but, no. Those who voted for him think he's the bomb, but, they simply don't realize that he isn't.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Presidents are also ranked by legislative achievements.

Bush has the Patriot Act, Medicare Prescription Drugs, No Child Left Behind, and TARP.

Obama has the Stimulus and Obamacare with the potential for Immigration Reform and possibly Gun Control.

To historians, Obamacare is a big, big deal. In the league of the New Deal and the Great Society. That will be his ultimate legacy and considering it hasn’t been implemented yet, it’s way too early to tell.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
The sad reality is that any future modern president will be the worst ever. It's the nature of our hyperbolic, over manipulated media and political class. Parties need people motivated, and to do that, they need to be convinced their opposing President is the worst ever.

As a historian, I wouldn't rank Obama or Bush at the bottom. Low end of average maybe. Some aspects of Presidencies can be judged earlier than others. For instance, Bush screwed up in Iraq, but then he fixed it with the Surge. Can history measure that fact level headedly yet? And clearly the economic policies of both can't be evaluated yet. No matter what politicians say.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
I also disagree about the ACA. It is far less revolutionary than people think it is. At its core it just digitized medical records, fixes some insurance loopholes, and makes people (but still not everyone) get insurance. It's basically a bloated minor reform, not a game cganger like SSI. At least from a historical perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History