Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times

Advertisements

How many troops did each country have at the start of WW1? What about the end? I tried researching this on the internet, but all I can find is the total troop numbers for the duration of the war. I've read that the Allied powers fielded a total of around 40,000,000 troops and the Central Powers about 22,000,000. That would lead one to believe the Central Powers only had half the number of troops. However, that is misleading since America was not involved at the start of the war and the British Expeditionary Force was small at the outbreak of war. Same goes for the last year of the war after Russia pulled out.

At the outbreak of war, it seems that Germany and France had large mobilized armies, but the BEF was small and Russian mobilization was slow. Russia invaded East Prussia initially though, so I would also like to know how many troops they fielded? What about the Ottoman Empire and Austria-Hungary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
How many troops did each country have at the start of WW1? What about the end? I tried researching this on the internet, but all I can find is the total troop numbers for the duration of the war. I've read that the Allied powers fielded a total of around 40,000,000 troops and the Central Powers about 22,000,000. That would lead one to believe the Central Powers only had half the number of troops. However, that is misleading since America was not involved at the start of the war and the British Expeditionary Force was small at the outbreak of war. Same goes for the last year of the war after Russia pulled out.

At the outbreak of war, it seems that Germany and France had large mobilized armies, but the BEF was small and Russian mobilization was slow. Russia invaded East Prussia initially though, so I would also like to know how many troops they fielded? What about the Ottoman Empire and Austria-Hungary?

The three boldened words are the main issue with an accurate number. The numbers were fluid and what exactly is meant by fielded? Start because mobilization was not finished with some countries when their governments declared war. In the case of the UK, there is the Indian Army to contend with if that should be counted. Same with French colonial troops. End is difficult as much of the U.S.Army was still stateside or in training camps in France. Fielded needs clarification because I do not know if you mean all theatres and and how do you define fielded in 1914 and 1918 in terms of newly inducted, convalecsing, occupation,etc?

A copy of Ellis' WW1 Databook should have some of the data.

Last edited by Felix C; 01-15-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
This what I've come up with from one source:

The mobilization

1.5 million Germans

1.5 million Russians that would reach 4.5 million at the end of the mobilization with 2 million in reserve.

http://www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/WWI/encarta.htm

British expeditionary force:

1,860,350 by the end of 1914

Roll of Honour - Overview - World War 1

The French as of August 1914: 8,400,000. This includes reserves and territorial troops.

151st Line Infantry Regiment

Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM

By fielded, I just mean how many troops did each country have available to fight? I understand that mobilization is a process that takes time. I am just wondering approximately how many troops each country had to fight with at the start of the war and shortly thereafter. Lets say the initial invasion forces of each country.

For instance, how many troops did Germany send in the initial Schleiffen Plan invasion and how many did the French send in Plan XIV (or whatever it is called). How many Russian troops advanced towards East Prussia and Austria? How many Austrian troops were deployed to counter the Russian advance? What about Italy and the Ottoman Empire?

Please understand I do not mean strictly how many troops the day the bell rung to begin the war. I mean during the opening months of the war. It seems that the British fielded a small army the day the war broke out, but by the end of 1914, they had millions of soldiers.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
By fielded, I just mean how many troops did each country have available to fight? I understand that mobilization is a process that takes time. I am just wondering approximately how many troops each country had to fight with at the start of the war and shortly thereafter. Lets say the initial invasion forces of each country.
That's what I gave you, and a thank you would have been sufficient.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This what I've come up with from one source:

The mobilization

1.5 million Germans

1.5 million Russians that would reach 4.5 million at the end of the mobilization with 2 million in reserve.

http://www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/WWI/encarta.htm

British expeditionary force:

1,860,350 by the end of 1914

Roll of Honour - Overview - World War 1

The French as of August 1914: 8,400,000. This includes reserves and territorial troops.

151st Line Infantry Regiment
Well the boldened number is suspect as the German standing army plus reserves was larger than the British Army or French Army. Common knowledge

Last edited by Felix C; 01-17-2013 at 05:11 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well the boldened number is suspect as the German standing army plus reserves was larger than the British Army or French Army. Common knowledge
First sentence of the post, "This what I've come up with from one source."

I didn't vouch for the citation or the site where I found it. I was simply trying to help someone who was asking for help. I won't make that mistake again.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM

ocvatto-

I spent quite a bit of time reading the first link you provided. Thanks, by the way. It is a very interesting read, but isn't very specific regarding raw troop numbers for each country. I ran out of time to read the other links, but will check them out later.

From reading your first link, it indicates that Germany had 1.5 million troops as part of the invasion force of France. Yet I am trying to figure out the total number of German troops. Not just the 1.5 million who initially invaded, but the other troops on the Eastern front, troops deployed to help Austria-Hungary, troops in the Ottoman theatre, and troops in colonial areas and the Middle East.

I am trying to determine the same information for France, England, Russia, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, and Italy. How many total troops were there and where were these troops stationed? I suppose a map could illustrate this better, but am not sure where I could find a map showing positions of different troops from different countries at the beginning of the war.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
ocvatto-

I spent quite a bit of time reading the first link you provided. Thanks, by the way.
You're welcome by the way.

Quote:
From reading your first link, it indicates that Germany had 1.5 million troops as part of the invasion force of France. Yet I am trying to figure out the total number of German troops. Not just the 1.5 million who initially invaded, but the other troops on the Eastern front, troops deployed to help Austria-Hungary, troops in the Ottoman theatre, and troops in colonial areas and the Middle East.
I understand but that was the best I could do in the time I allotted to do it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,041,142 times
If you are talking about the opening months of the war or the first initial contacts between the belligerents, then the breakdown (or partial breakdown since my figures exclude the Western Front) would be the following:

The German forces tasked to defend East Prussia against the Russians totaled 150,000. The Russians invaded East Prussia with two armies comprised of 350,000 troops. With respect to the Germans, it should be noted that the German 8th Army of East Prussia was by no means a full strength formation of front line troops. It was instead a mixture of some front line troops reinforced by local East Prussian militia battalions, fortress battalions, and so called "Ersatz Battalions" which were fresh recruits with minimal to no formal training.

The Austro-Hungarian Empire invaded the Russian held portion of Galicia (a region of modern day Ukraine) with a force totaling 950,000 men. The Russians countered that with a force of 1,200,000 men.

The Italian's theater of operation once they entered the war was confined to an area sometimes referred to as the "Isonzo Front" which lay partially inside Italy and in what is today the country of Slovenia. The first of a total of twelve battles that took place in this region over a two year period, pitted 200,000 Italians against 100,000 Austrians. In all, 5,000,000 Italian troops and 8,000,000 Austrian and German troops would do battle along this front alone.

Lastly, after the Ottoman Empire declared war against Britain, France, and Russia, their first major contact with their fellow belligerents took place in the Caucasus when the Russians invaded the Turkish controlled area of this region with an army totaling 160,000 men. The Turkish defenders totaled 190,000 troops.

Hope this answers your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History