Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times

Advertisements

I took a college class last year called Memory of Fire: Spain and Latin America. If only I could remember everything I learned. From what I recall, Spain spent the money on wars and wild spending, eventually going bankrupt.

Books I read (and would like to read again):

- Imperial Spain 1469-1716, J H Elliott

- Marvelous Possessions: The Wonder of the New World. Greenblatt, Stephen. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1991.

- The Broken Spears: The Aztec Account of the Conquest of Mexico. Leon-Portilla, Miguel. Boston: Beacon Press, 1962, 1990.

Broken Spears is the first book written from the Aztec perspective. I couldn't find my copy (must have packed it) but here's what I wrote for a comment we needed to write for class using a quote from the book.

“the Aztec warriors never forgot that their first duty was to take captives to be sacrificed. This religious conception of warfare motivated the expansion of the Aztec empire, but it also contributed to its destruction by the Spaniards." (xliii).

"A war or battle always commenced with a certain ritual: shields, arrows and cloaks of a special kind were sent to the enemy leaders as a formal declaration that they would soon be attacked." (xliv).

Were the Aztecs defeated by cultural assumptions? If they had killed every Spaniard instead of allowing some to live to be used as future sacrifices, it might have given the Aztecs time to adjust to the way the Spaniards fought. In addition, it might imply that the Aztecs did not fear retaliation from the victim’s family or community because the Aztecs had become so powerful. When they allowed Spaniards to live they weren't worrying about retaliation.

These two examples of how understanding a culture can change the way history is viewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:44 PM

305 posts, read 294,692 times
There are light skinned Mexicans.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:20 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Well, I guess that some of it made it to Spain, and she benefited with this, but it also caused her downfall, because Spainards became terribly bad administrators, British were more clever ...
Sometimes known as the "money makes you poor" theory. Initially Spain was accumulating possibly the greatest national wealth of any nation in the world, but they built an economy of consumption.

You see some of that in present day USA who has to send the containers back to China empty to be refilled. We make nothing that they want. Our greatest export today is the Benjamin. If nobody wants that in the future, we are in trouble.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:32 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
"Without the help of Doña Marina," he writes, "we would not have understood the language of New Spain and Mexico." Rodríguez de Ocana, another conquistador, relates Cortés' assertion that after God, Marina was the main reason for his success.
The phrase, "The Curse of Malinche" or "Maldición de Malinche" was popularized by a 1970's protest song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyUwolkWINk

Predictably the song is about the tendency of the Amerindians to side with the Europeans against other native Americans and to sell their wealth for trinkets.
Hoy le seguimos cambiando oro por cuentas de vidrios y damos nuestra riqueza por sus espejos con brillo.
¡oh! Maldición de Malinche Enfermedad del presente ¿Cuándo dejarás mi tierra? ¿Cuándo harás libre a mi gente?

Martín Cortés el Mestizo (Spanish pronunciation: [c. 1523 – c. 1595) was the first-born and illegitimate son of Hernán Cortés and Doña Marina, the conquistador's interpreter and concubine. He is considered to be one of the first mestizos of New Spain and is known as “El Mestizo.”

Old 09-27-2016, 04:53 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
The pepole we refer to as "Aztecs" were actually forbidden by their prophets to call themselves "Azteca." They were called the "Mexica," which, by the way, is pronounced "Mechica."

Old 09-27-2016, 09:58 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
Very interesting to know. If i remember correctly wasn't Montezuma killed by his own people.

Also Trevelling Fella what happened to Cortez wife? Wasn't she of a local tribe that opposed the Aztecs. Did she go back to Spain with him??

She had a child with Cortez and married another Spanish.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
The pepole we refer to as "Aztecs" were actually forbidden by their prophets to call themselves "Azteca." They were called the "Mexica," which, by the way, is pronounced "Mechica."

Most Aztecs were annihilated, I'm referring people from Technottitlan and federates.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Sometimes known as the "money makes you poor" theory. Initially Spain was accumulating possibly the greatest national wealth of any nation in the world, but they built an economy of consumption.

You see some of that in present day USA who has to send the containers back to China empty to be refilled. We make nothing that they want. Our greatest export today is the Benjamin. If nobody wants that in the future, we are in trouble.

The money was pilfered in wars made by the Austrias againts heathens. That's why you have Catholics in Germany. The rest was spent in palaces and manors.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I took a college class last year called Memory of Fire: Spain and Latin America. If only I could remember everything I learned. From what I recall, Spain spent the money on wars and wild spending, eventually going bankrupt.

Books I read (and would like to read again):

- Imperial Spain 1469-1716, J H Elliott

- Marvelous Possessions: The Wonder of the New World. Greenblatt, Stephen. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1991.

- The Broken Spears: The Aztec Account of the Conquest of Mexico. Leon-Portilla, Miguel. Boston: Beacon Press, 1962, 1990.

Broken Spears is the first book written from the Aztec perspective. I couldn't find my copy (must have packed it) but here's what I wrote for a comment we needed to write for class using a quote from the book.

“the Aztec warriors never forgot that their first duty was to take captives to be sacrificed. This religious conception of warfare motivated the expansion of the Aztec empire, but it also contributed to its destruction by the Spaniards." (xliii).

"A war or battle always commenced with a certain ritual: shields, arrows and cloaks of a special kind were sent to the enemy leaders as a formal declaration that they would soon be attacked." (xliv).

Were the Aztecs defeated by cultural assumptions? If they had killed every Spaniard instead of allowing some to live to be used as future sacrifices, it might have given the Aztecs time to adjust to the way the Spaniards fought. In addition, it might imply that the Aztecs did not fear retaliation from the victim’s family or community because the Aztecs had become so powerful. When they allowed Spaniards to live they weren't worrying about retaliation.

These two examples of how understanding a culture can change the way history is viewed.

If they had killed all the Castilians, which they could not even in Otumba or Sad night, there were many more behind. Just like the wild west.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
I knew a girl from Distrito Federal who told me about a school there that teaches Nahuatl. Thanks for that wikipedia site about them as i'll read it all this weekend when i surf for hours but i did study about Cortez and how he conquered the Aztecs as i'm still in awe how he pulled that off.

Also i wonder what the Mexicans think about the Toltecs and their empire who were there before the Aztecs?? I wish we had a ''History Forum'' here as i love the subject.....

Aztecs were Northamericans as popular in Mexico as Trump.
Marina pulled it out, Cortez was a doormat that wanted to save the city...Marina wanted a final solution for the Aztec problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History