Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 99,131 times

Advertisements

I'm in high school now and I've looked at yearbooks of my school from various decades as well as my parents yearbooks and the teenagers looked extremely old. My parents both went to school in the 70s and they certainly didn't look like me at 16. I look at the faces of the teenagers in the yearbooks and they could easily pass for a 40 year old even 50 year old if they look really old (which a lot do). Every other guy had a mustache and a lot even had beards and the girls looked like middle aged women. I know they had different hairstyles and wore different clothes them but they just had faces that didn't look youthful at all. Teenagers now look so much younger than teenagers of any other generation. I noticed that teenagers now are much shorter and look much younger. I'd say a lot of teens now could pass for 10-12 year olds. It's quite strange how teens didn't start looking young until about the mid 90s. Does anyone have a logical explanation for all of this?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
they were fit and did adult stuff like work, that will make you look older. also they tried to dress and act like adults, you know, crazy stuff like that.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:55 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post
I'm in high school now and I've looked at yearbooks of my school from various decades as well as my parents yearbooks and the teenagers looked extremely old. My parents both went to school in the 70s and they certainly didn't look like me at 16. I look at the faces of the teenagers in the yearbooks and they could easily pass for a 40 year old even 50 year old if they look really old (which a lot do). Every other guy had a mustache and a lot even had beards and the girls looked like middle aged women. I know they had different hairstyles and wore different clothes them but they just had faces that didn't look youthful at all. Teenagers now look so much younger than teenagers of any other generation. I noticed that teenagers now are much shorter and look much younger. I'd say a lot of teens now could pass for 10-12 year olds. It's quite strange how teens didn't start looking young until about the mid 90s. Does anyone have a logical explanation for all of this?
Your mother will be pleased to hear that you think she looked 40 when she was 16! lol - best not mention that one to her! :-)

Old 12-15-2013, 07:09 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Maybe it could have something to do with the quality of the photos from those days? Other than that, maybe it was all the 3-2 beer and smoking and drugs or something. But kids still do some of these things now too...

Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Your kids will probably be saying the same thing about you and your generation. I grew up in the 60's snd 70's and when I look st old pictures of my parents and people from the 20's and 30's, I think the same thing about them.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I think kids looked less weathered back in the 70's. Look at prom pics or the high school graduating class of various schools these days and you'd think most were middle aged. At least that's what I see in the areas I've lived.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post

Some of it had to do with the quality of the pics, the print media and the style of clothing and hair. Look at pics of yearbooks from the 50s. And the main reason guys looked older is because things like metrosexual were not around. Guys let their hair grow. We have a kid at work who is 25 and can't grow a beard or mustache to save his life.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:05 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My mom went to HS in 40's and really, she looked 30 when she was 13. Black and white photo, dark lipstick, heavily drawn on eyebrows, hair in a wave....everyone WANTED to look older. It wasn't just something that occurred, it was on purpose.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Maybe it could have something to do with the quality of the photos from those days? Other than that, maybe it was all the 3-2 beer and smoking and drugs or something. But kids still do some of these things now too...
Smoking, drugs, and hard liquor

Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Wildcard thought: perhaps their parents had more adult expectations of them thus making them appear older or they were introduced to the workforce at early age in some capacity and had assumed a mantle of responsibility, and all this without having 24/7 digital electronic contact with each other to 'bathe' in white noise?

As another mentioned, it may also be the school studio photography methods of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History