Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Myth 6. All slaves were Black.

— In fact, whether you were a slave had nothing to do with your appearance nor with how much African ancestry you had.
As we've already discussed in this topic, while it's true that not all slaves may have appeared black, the fact of the matter remains that appearance did have a lot to do with slavery, so the second statement here is very misleading. In many states, the law was that someone black/mulatto was automatically a slave. That doesn't mean others couldn't be slaves as well - there were some Native American slaves I believe and of course there were some slaves who had enough white ancestry that they could pass for white. But normally, a white person with zero black ancestry was not a slave but an indentured servant, which is very different. I've pointed this out to you before, with sources to back me up. Apparently, you took no notice. I also asked you for sources on some of your other claims, which you never provided.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Mod cut: Orphaned.
I don't believe the question was just about "initially" though. Plenty of people have acknowledged that slavery did play a part in it, of course. But if you think there were no consensual white/black relationships earlier than 100 years ago, you don't know much about history. 100 years ago was only 1914 - there are plenty of documented consensual white/black relationships outside of slavery going on before 1914. Just accept it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-22-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Despite what everyone is saying,I'm going to go against the grain and say this.

The majority of diversity in looks comes from the mixing of african tribes,not from any Europoean dna. Despite what you have heard and read,all tribes in Africa DO NOT look alike.
I agree with this.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
There should be "some" in your title.

All blacks in America don't have Euro ancestry. I don't think its high,maybe 30%?

Most of the mixed features you guys see in blacks is due to the various tribes in Africa,who ball have a different look.

If you look at a Fulani,they appear mixed but aren't.

Let's say there was a Fulani slave and a Yoruba slave that had children...I have no doubt the kid would look "mixed". Why? Because these 2 tribes have completely different phenotypes.
Thank you. I agree.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Despite what everyone is saying,I'm going to go against the grain and say this.

The majority of diversity in looks comes from the mixing of african tribes,not from any Europoean dna. Despite what you have heard and read,all tribes in Africa DO NOT look alike.
Naturally, that is true - any ethnic race will still have a variety of appearances. The same can be said about white people too - there is no ethnic race where everyone looks the same. Doesn't that kind of go without saying? The fact of the matter remains that most black Americans have at least 12% European DNA, often more. That IS going to have an influence on their appearance that Africans (in Africa) don't tend to have.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Naturally, that is true - any ethnic race will still have a variety of appearances. The same can be said about white people too - there is no ethnic race where everyone looks the same. Doesn't that kind of go without saying? The fact of the matter remains that most black Americans have at least 12% European DNA, often more. That IS going to have an influence on their appearance that Africans (in Africa) don't tend to have.
How did the original white people look?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This thread has run its course and will remain closed. Numerous posts have been deleted because they were off-topic and/or personal attacks. Folks, please respect others' opinions and refrain from attacking them personally.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History