Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose only 7, please.
George Washington 1789-1797 246 71.72%
John Adams 1797-1801 52 15.16%
Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809 203 59.18%
James Madison 1809-1817 35 10.20%
James Monroe 1817-1825 19 5.54%
John Quincy Adams 1825-1829 18 5.25%
Andrew Jackson 1829-1837 59 17.20%
Martin Van Buren 1837-1841 3 0.87%
William Henry Harrison 1841 1 0.29%
John Tyler 1841-1845 4 1.17%
James K. Polk 1845-1849 34 9.91%
Zachary Taylor 1849-1850 1 0.29%
Millard Fillmore 1850-1853 2 0.58%
Franklin Pierce 1853-1857 3 0.87%
James Buchanan 1857-1861 1 0.29%
Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865 260 75.80%
Andrew Johnson 1865-1869 2 0.58%
Ulysses S. Grant 1869-1877 26 7.58%
Rutherford B. Hayes 1877-1881 4 1.17%
James Garfield 1881 3 0.87%
Chester Arthur 1881-1885 6 1.75%
Grover Cleveland 1885-1889, 1893-1897 13 3.79%
Benjamin Harrison 1889-1893 1 0.29%
William McKinley 1897-1901 5 1.46%
Theodore Roosevelt 1901-1909 191 55.69%
William H. Taft 1909-1913 5 1.46%
Woodrow Wilson 1913-1921 29 8.45%
Warren G. Harding 1921-1923 4 1.17%
Calvin Coolidge 1923-1929 24 7.00%
Herbert Hoover 1929-1933 3 0.87%
Franklin D. Roosevelt 1933-1945 215 62.68%
Harry S. Truman 1945-1953 84 24.49%
Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953-1961 114 33.24%
John F. Kennedy 1961-1963 99 28.86%
Lyndon B. Johnson 1963-1969 29 8.45%
Richard Nixon 1969-1974 13 3.79%
Gerald Ford 1974-1977 9 2.62%
Jimmy Carter 1977-1981 28 8.16%
Ronald Reagan 1981-1989 142 41.40%
George Bush 1989-1993 17 4.96%
Bill Clinton 1993-2001 87 25.36%
George W. Bush 2001-2009 17 4.96%
Barack Obama 2009- 45 13.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 PM

618 posts, read 939,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I listed three actions of Reagan that many historians and oberserves of the time (on both sides of the Cold War) point to as actions that forced the Soviet economy to its knees...which then resulted in the reforms of Gorbachev in an attempt to keep the people happy...which then led to the unravelling of the entire Soviet system. Reagan's actions were nowhere near singularly responsible for anything, however, they were a critical part of forcing things to happen when they did.

Reagan's domestic economic policies, from his increased spending to his tax reforms most certainly had a massive and positive impact on the US economy. US GDP was 2.7 trillion in 1980 and 5.1 trillion in 1988, an 88% increase.

None of that takes into account the impact Reagan had on making people "believe in America" again. I look at Reagan and FDR in the same light on this one. FDR has plenty one can criticize. He is not fully deserving of the liberal cult of personality that has been created around him. However, he made people feel better and believe in the country again and there is a lot to be said for that.

My politics lean conservative, but I don't consider Reagan a hero. I do consider him to be one of the most effective American leaders of the 20th century. If you noticed, my personal list contains both Reagan and FDR. I may be a little more "Reagan" in my personal politics, but both were effective leaders, neither were perfect and neither really deserves to idolized like they have been, no president does.
Gorbachev made the mistake of combining economic reform with political reform. People took their freedom and ran with it. He would have been better of doing what China did and reform the economy but keep totalitarian state in place. However, there is very little evidence Gorbachev's policies were a reaction to Reagan. There is even less evidence that the Soviets spent more money on the military in response to the US buildup. In fact, there is good evidence Soviet spending remained the same in the 1980s!!!! The US military buildup was essentially a big waste of money. Same goes for the tax cuts. Certainly when you have large military spending and tax cuts you will get an economic boost, however as another poster already mentioned, there were other pieces to the equation. The tax cuts and military spending were very inefficient and the resources could have been spent elsewhere. A mediocre at best Presidency.

I love how it is often ignored that Reagan the tough guy negotiated with terrorists and spend his entire second term in negotiation over arms. Reagan even gave Gorbachev a freedom award in 1992!

Last edited by jobseeker2013; 12-23-2013 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 PM

618 posts, read 939,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I listed three actions of Reagan that many historians and oberserves of the time (on both sides of the Cold War) point to as actions that forced the Soviet economy to its knees...which then resulted in the reforms of Gorbachev in an attempt to keep the people happy...which then led to the unravelling of the entire Soviet system. Reagan's actions were nowhere near singularly responsible for anything, however, they were a critical part of forcing things to happen when they did.

Reagan's domestic economic policies, from his increased spending to his tax reforms most certainly had a massive and positive impact on the US economy. US GDP was 2.7 trillion in 1980 and 5.1 trillion in 1988, an 88% increase.

None of that takes into account the impact Reagan had on making people "believe in America" again. I look at Reagan and FDR in the same light on this one. FDR has plenty one can criticize. He is not fully deserving of the liberal cult of personality that has been created around him. However, he made people feel better and believe in the country again and there is a lot to be said for that.

My politics lean conservative, but I don't consider Reagan a hero. I do consider him to be one of the most effective American leaders of the 20th century. If you noticed, my personal list contains both Reagan and FDR. I may be a little more "Reagan" in my personal politics, but both were effective leaders, neither were perfect and neither really deserves to idolized like they have been, no president does.
Gorbachev made the mistake of combining economic reform with political reform. People took their fredom and ran with it. He would been better of doing what china did and reform the economy but keep the totalitarian state in place. However, there is very little evidence Gorbachev's policies were a reaction to Reagan. There is even less evidence that the Soviets spent more money on the military in response to the US buildup. In fact, there is good evidence Soviet spending remained the same in the 1980s!!!! The US military buildup was essentially a big waste of money. There has been an entire industry creating the myth of Reagan. Why not? It sells copies but it does not make it so.

Same goes for the tax cuts. Certainly when you have large military spending and tax cuts you will get an economic boost, however as another poster already mentioned, here were other pieces to the equation. However, the tax cuts military spending were very inefficient and the resources could have been spent elsewhere. A mediocre at best Presidency.

I love how it is often ignored that Reagan the tough guy negotiated with terrorists and spend his entire second term in negotiation over arms. Reagan gave Gorbachev a freedom award in 1992!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
more "union" troops died than confederate. look at the new york riots. forced conscription,
forced membership in "the" united states is no longer "these united" states. by definition
membership in the union was voluntary. leaving the union was a legal act. issuing worthless
greenbacks. in my opinion, the war between the states was the beginning of the end for
freedom in this country. 1871 the federal entity incorporated, ending all pretense as some
form of assembly of free men anymore. it is not. that is one thing abe lincoln made damn
sure of.
An appropriate response here would be prolonged, outright laughter.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:09 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Eisenhower was the laziest president. He spent 80% of his time on the golf course andhe left decisions up to Nixon whom he was nurturing to be president. You see what we got from him.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Eisenhower was the laziest president. He spent 80% of his time on the golf course andhe left decisions up to Nixon whom he was nurturing to be president. You see what we got from him.
Aaah, the America voter! There is no limit........

Old 12-25-2013, 06:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Ike was far from lazy when it came to foreign policy.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
I read that this was a deliberate façade that Ike put up. He wanted to portray himself as the relaxed, moderate, easygoing alternative to Taft. But historians who have studied his log books have concluded that behind the scenes, Ike was just as much hands-on as any other prez.

Nixon called Ike the "most devious" man he'd ever met. He meant it as a supreme compliment.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I read that this was a deliberate façade that Ike put up. He wanted to portray himself as the relaxed, moderate, easygoing alternative to Taft. But historians who have studied his log books have concluded that behind the scenes, Ike was just as much hands-on as any other prez.

Nixon called Ike the "most devious" man he'd ever met. He meant it as a supreme compliment.
No, he didn't. He could barely tolerate Nixon...had trouble hiding his contempt.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:27 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

I think Ike was a sharp man who was a good President. I rank him #6 out of the top #7 Presidents.

No one can really understand Eisenhower without understanding both World War II and the 1950's. Any country that fights a "world war" goes through an enormous struggle. A huge amount of energy was expended. I believe somewhere on the order of 26 million Americans served in some capacity in the armed forces before the war officially ended. People at home had to deal with gasoline rationing and, in fact, rationing of just about everything. There was no domestic production of automobiles. The national speed limit was set at 35 miles an hour to save gasoline. Major sporting events were cancelled for the duration of the war.

It should come as no surprise that after such an event that people want a period of rest and relaxation. They believe they are entitled to a "vacation" of sorts and this is what much of the 1950's was for America. Returning veterans wanted to get married and start a family. People wanted to focus on education and getting a good job. These were the priorities of the time.

Eisenhower, who had been the Supreme Commander of American Forces in Europe during World War II, understood keenly what the country's mood was and what people wanted. That's the kind of presidency he conducted. At times, it did seem as though he was more interested in golf than in running the country. In reality, he gave the USA the kind of leadership it expected during this time period. His first moves in office were to put pressure on North Korea to end the Korean War. Its rumored he threatened the use of nuclear weapons. Whatever he said, the ceasefire at Panmunjon was signed within the fisrt year he had taken office. Another example, would be the passage and signature of the Interstate Highway Act of 1956. Eisenhower, during an early time in the military had attempted to convoy troops across the United States. He realized just how bad roads and highways in much of America were. He had also had an opportunity during World War II, to see the German Autobahn System. Some people disdain the interstate highway system because they believe mass transportation would have been a better option. In a country like America, the interstate highway system was really the only solution. Eisenhower saw that and pushed it. Eisenhower didn't push civil rights particularly. However, he had the good sense to understand that as the nation's chief executive it was his duty to execute the laws of the land. When he stood up in 1957 and demanded enforcement of court decrees mandating desegregation of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, the entire nation listened and did so because no figure in the country possessed more authority than President Eisenhower did. Eisenhower stated his biggest regret while President was not obtaining some kind of nuclear arms control deal with the Soviet Union. However, in the last years of his presidency, tensions with the Soviet Union did abate a bit. He met with USSR leader, Nikita Khruschev, and a long process began that would culminate in the 60's with a Test Ban Treaty and in the 1970's with a Strategic Arms Limitation Agreement.

Eisenhower's prestige that he earned as a general enabled him to do many things that other men simply could not have done.

A final factor that should be pointed out is that by the 1950's, Eisenhower's health was starting to decline. He had at least one heart attack while President. His recovery from this was slow and laborious. Many people who experience a coronary, suffer depression afterwards. Eisenhower went through this. As he got older and as his health declined, he probably was less functional as President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No, he didn't. He could barely tolerate Nixon...had trouble hiding his contempt.
In fact, Eisenhower didn't care much for Nixon. He and Nixon were fundamentally different people.

Ike liked parties and he liked to socialize with others. He had a great number of friends and had risen high in the military, among other reasons, because people instinctively were drawn to him and enjoyed his company.

Nixon was cut from a very different cloth. Eisenhower never could understand how a man that had come as far as Nixon seemed to have very few friends and acquaintances. At one point, when Nixon ran for President in 1960, a reporter asked Eisenhower to name some "good things or qualities about Nixon". Eisenhower's response was memorable. He stated: "Give me a week and I will think of something".

In many ways, these two men were polar opposites. Its no surprise to me that Eisenhower didn't think much of Nixon.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No he didn't what? Didn't use the strategy I mentioned? What's that got to do with his opinion of Nixon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History