Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose only 7, please.
George Washington 1789-1797 246 71.72%
John Adams 1797-1801 52 15.16%
Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809 203 59.18%
James Madison 1809-1817 35 10.20%
James Monroe 1817-1825 19 5.54%
John Quincy Adams 1825-1829 18 5.25%
Andrew Jackson 1829-1837 59 17.20%
Martin Van Buren 1837-1841 3 0.87%
William Henry Harrison 1841 1 0.29%
John Tyler 1841-1845 4 1.17%
James K. Polk 1845-1849 34 9.91%
Zachary Taylor 1849-1850 1 0.29%
Millard Fillmore 1850-1853 2 0.58%
Franklin Pierce 1853-1857 3 0.87%
James Buchanan 1857-1861 1 0.29%
Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865 260 75.80%
Andrew Johnson 1865-1869 2 0.58%
Ulysses S. Grant 1869-1877 26 7.58%
Rutherford B. Hayes 1877-1881 4 1.17%
James Garfield 1881 3 0.87%
Chester Arthur 1881-1885 6 1.75%
Grover Cleveland 1885-1889, 1893-1897 13 3.79%
Benjamin Harrison 1889-1893 1 0.29%
William McKinley 1897-1901 5 1.46%
Theodore Roosevelt 1901-1909 191 55.69%
William H. Taft 1909-1913 5 1.46%
Woodrow Wilson 1913-1921 29 8.45%
Warren G. Harding 1921-1923 4 1.17%
Calvin Coolidge 1923-1929 24 7.00%
Herbert Hoover 1929-1933 3 0.87%
Franklin D. Roosevelt 1933-1945 215 62.68%
Harry S. Truman 1945-1953 84 24.49%
Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953-1961 114 33.24%
John F. Kennedy 1961-1963 99 28.86%
Lyndon B. Johnson 1963-1969 29 8.45%
Richard Nixon 1969-1974 13 3.79%
Gerald Ford 1974-1977 9 2.62%
Jimmy Carter 1977-1981 28 8.16%
Ronald Reagan 1981-1989 142 41.40%
George Bush 1989-1993 17 4.96%
Bill Clinton 1993-2001 87 25.36%
George W. Bush 2001-2009 17 4.96%
Barack Obama 2009- 45 13.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Every time I hear Reagan winning the Cold War or had a huge role in it I laugh and think of hero worship. Conservatism needs a hero. Liberals point to FDR and his government activism in his fight against the depression and Hitler. Conservatives really don't have that figure. Coolidge, Hoover and McKinley don't really cut it. So they CREATED Reagan. Reagan by cutting taxes saved the US economy. Reagan by strong rhetoric and increased military spending gave Gorby and the rest of his Kremlin crew the Heebie-Jeebies and they went spiraling into extinction. Now the conservatives hope they have their own FDR. However, to the chagrin of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity history does not support it.
I think its important for all of us to try and put Reagan in some perspective. I think your views of him are too critical and I'm a solid democrat. I would not rank Reagan as one of the top seven presidents in this country and my primary reason for doing so is that the things that he is given credit for are the product of effort by a substantial number of people over time.

However, this is not the same thing as saying Reagan does not deserve any credit for them at all. Reagan's economic policies did help bring the country out a severe recession that it was in when he took office in 1980. The great irony for conservatives is that the policies that Reagan followed to do this were Keynesian economic policies. He cut taxes and increased spending on the military. This help lift the country out of a recession with 10% unemployment at one point. Another irony for the right wing is that deficit spending reached its highest level--to that point--under Ronald Reagan. So, give credit where it is due. However, Reagan supporters also want to conveniently forget the role the Federal Reserve played in ending the economic problems we were having at the time. Inflation had reached record levels during the late 1970's and Fed Chairman Paul Volcker undertook a program of selling government bonds that drove up interest rates. This policy weeded inflation out of the economy and laid the groundwork for the recovery under Reagan that took place later.

Reagan is also credited with ending the Cold War. This claim is also an exaggeration. Every President from Truman onward played a key role in ending the Cold War. By building up our military and pursuing policies of "containment" we slowly increased pressure on the Soviet Union until it collapsed from within. It was not what Reagan did, but what eight Presidents (including Reagan) did over a forty year period that brought about this change. Reagan does deserve credit though for sticking to his guns and increasing military spending. This was probably the "final impetus" that broke the USSR economically. It would have occurred anyway, but Reagan sped up the process.

The final thing that Reagan deserves credit for is simply making many Americans feel better about themselves and their country. The late 1970's was a difficult period. I remember it well as a college student. Inflation and unemployment both were huge problems. When the Iranians took our embassy personnel hostage in Tehran, it was the straw the broke the camel's back for many of us. Ironically, it was Jimmy Carter who ultimately got the hostages out. They were released one day after Reagan had taken office as President. However, Reagan took the "malaise" that many of us felt and made us feel good to be Americans again. It was something Jimmy Carter simply could not do

I was slow to see it, but Reagan had a way of speaking to Americans that put the bulk of people at ease. His "Hollywood jokes" and sunny demeanor had a way of making virtually everyone feel better. Many at the time thought it was silly humor and that the man was an anachronism. However, in retrospect, most of it was very calculated and it worked wonders on a country that was deeply depressed over events like Vietnam, Watergate, and its worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

Its wrong to idealize this man. In fact, it amazes me that he's gotten more votes in this presidential poll than either Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, or Bill Clinton. It doesn't change the fact though that Reagan did some real good while he was in office.

So, while I do not see him as one of the seven greatest presidents, I do acknowledge the contribution he made as this nation's chief executive. It was real and substantive. Democrats need to acknowledge it and draw from this man's strengths if they wish to remain a party with broad popular support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Well, I guess it's settled, Abe Lincoln is the best president evarrr
after 150 participants voting.

I suppose the criteria employed must be the largest
number of innocent Americans murdered.

Casualties In The Civil War
I suppose keeping the United States from breaking up into 2 (or possibly more) different nations and helping free millions of people from slavery might also be part of the criteria.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Well, I guess it's settled, Abe Lincoln is the best president evarrr
after 150 participants voting.

I suppose the criteria employed must be the largest
number of innocent Americans murdered.

Casualties In The Civil War
If an American declares his allegiance to another country and picks up arms against America, is he then an "innocent American"?
If an American answers the call to arms and defends his country against a sworn enemy is he an "innocent American"?
So who were the "innocent Americans", and how were they "murdered"?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 AM

618 posts, read 939,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think its important for all of us to try and put Reagan in some perspective. I think your views of him are too critical and I'm a solid democrat. I would not rank Reagan as one of the top seven presidents in this country and my primary reason for doing so is that the things that he is given credit for are the product of effort by a substantial number of people over time.

However, this is not the same thing as saying Reagan does not deserve any credit for them at all. Reagan's economic policies did help bring the country out a severe recession that it was in when he took office in 1980. The great irony for conservatives is that the policies that Reagan followed to do this were Keynesian economic policies. He cut taxes and increased spending on the military. This help lift the country out of a recession with 10% unemployment at one point. Another irony for the right wing is that deficit spending reached its highest level--to that point--under Ronald Reagan. So, give credit where it is due. However, Reagan supporters also want to conveniently forget the role the Federal Reserve played in ending the economic problems we were having at the time. Inflation had reached record levels during the late 1970's and Fed Chairman Paul Volcker undertook a program of selling government bonds that drove up interest rates. This policy weeded inflation out of the economy and laid the groundwork for the recovery under Reagan that took place later.

Reagan is also credited with ending the Cold War. This claim is also an exaggeration. Every President from Truman onward played a key role in ending the Cold War. By building up our military and pursuing policies of "containment" we slowly increased pressure on the Soviet Union until it collapsed from within. It was not what Reagan did, but what eight Presidents (including Reagan) did over a forty year period that brought about this change. Reagan does deserve credit though for sticking to his guns and increasing military spending. This was probably the "final impetus" that broke the USSR economically. It would have occurred anyway, but Reagan sped up the process.

The final thing that Reagan deserves credit for is simply making many Americans feel better about themselves and their country. The late 1970's was a difficult period. I remember it well as a college student. Inflation and unemployment both were huge problems. When the Iranians took our embassy personnel hostage in Tehran, it was the straw the broke the camel's back for many of us. Ironically, it was Jimmy Carter who ultimately got the hostages out. They were released one day after Reagan had taken office as President. However, Reagan took the "malaise" that many of us felt and made us feel good to be Americans again. It was something Jimmy Carter simply could not do

I was slow to see it, but Reagan had a way of speaking to Americans that put the bulk of people at ease. His "Hollywood jokes" and sunny demeanor had a way of making virtually everyone feel better. Many at the time thought it was silly humor and that the man was an anachronism. However, in retrospect, most of it was very calculated and it worked wonders on a country that was deeply depressed over events like Vietnam, Watergate, and its worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

Its wrong to idealize this man. In fact, it amazes me that he's gotten more votes in this presidential poll than either Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, or Bill Clinton. It doesn't change the fact though that Reagan did some real good while he was in office.

So, while I do not see him as one of the seven greatest presidents, I do acknowledge the contribution he made as this nation's chief executive. It was real and substantive. Democrats need to acknowledge it and draw from this man's strengths if they wish to remain a party with broad popular support.
I agree with your economic assessment.

It is interesting to note that Jimmy Carter began the military buildup in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Pershing II deployment also happened under Carter. However, It should be also noted that Reagan's tough rhetoric and the Carter Reagan buildup contributed to a nuclear war scare in 1983. The Soviets still recalled 1941 when the Germans invaded without warning and the horrible losses that resulted. Many in the Soviet leadership were worried a same thing would happen again with nuclear weapons from the USA and were nervous about Reagan. The annual Able Archer exercises by NATO put the Soviets on high alert. When one of their tracking systems believed nuclear warheads were coming at them, it took cool heads to verify the information and see it was a mistake. Reagan actually began to cool his rhetoric when he found out.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I suppose keeping the United States from breaking up into 2 (or possibly more) different nations and helping free millions of people from slavery might also be part of the criteria.
sure, I suppose that unconstitutionally forcing death upon families and bankrupting the country
and destroying vast amounts of property are just garbage to be burned at the altar of federalism.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM

472 posts, read 925,387 times
Quote:
sure, I suppose that unconstitutionally forcing death upon families and bankrupting the country
and destroying vast amounts of property are just garbage to be burned at the altar of federalism.

What Court ruled his actions unconstitutional, and when exactly did the country go bankrupt?

AS for the destruction of property, that nearly all took place in the seceded states, whose inhabitants (depending on ones views about the legality of secession) were either rebels or foreigners, for whose welfare, in either case, Lincoln had no responsibility,

Old 12-22-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestone8 View Post
What Court ruled his actions unconstitutional, and when exactly did the country go bankrupt?

AS for the destruction of property, that nearly all took place in the seceded states, whose inhabitants (depending on ones views about the legality of secession) were either rebels or foreigners, for whose welfare, in either case, Lincoln had no responsibility,
more "union" troops died than confederate. look at the new york riots. forced conscription,
forced membership in "the" united states is no longer "these united" states. by definition
membership in the union was voluntary. leaving the union was a legal act. issuing worthless
greenbacks. in my opinion, the war between the states was the beginning of the end for
freedom in this country. 1871 the federal entity incorporated, ending all pretense as some
form of assembly of free men anymore. it is not. that is one thing abe lincoln made damn
sure of.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:23 AM

472 posts, read 925,387 times
Quote:
more "union" troops died than confederate. look at the new york riots. forced conscription,
forced membership in "the" united states is no longer "these united" states. by definition
membership in the union was voluntary. leaving the union was a legal act. issuing worthless
greenbacks. in my opinion, the war between the states was the beginning of the end for
freedom in this country. 1871 the federal entity incorporated, ending all pretense as some
form of assembly of free men anymore. it is not. that is one thing abe lincoln made damn
sure of.

If leaving the Union was a legal act, then the Confederacy was a foreign country, against which Lincoln was perfectly entitled to take military action if he believed this to be in the interests of the United States. There would be a constitutional issue only if Congress objected to the war, but it did not.

As for conscription. if anyone believed it unconstitutional their proper recourse was to the courts, not to roam the streets burning down negro orphanages etc.

And how exactly were thr greenbacks "worthless"?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Every time I hear Reagan winning the Cold War or had a huge role in it I laugh and think of hero worship. Conservatism needs a hero. Liberals point to FDR and his government activism in his fight against the depression and Hitler. Conservatives really don't have that figure. Coolidge, Hoover and McKinley don't really cut it. So they CREATED Reagan. Reagan by cutting taxes saved the US economy. Reagan by strong rhetoric and increased military spending gave Gorby and the rest of his Kremlin crew the Heebie-Jeebies and they went spiraling into extinction. Now the conservatives hope they have their own FDR. However, to the chagrin of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity history does not support it.
I listed three actions of Reagan that many historians and oberserves of the time (on both sides of the Cold War) point to as actions that forced the Soviet economy to its knees...which then resulted in the reforms of Gorbachev in an attempt to keep the people happy...which then led to the unravelling of the entire Soviet system. Reagan's actions were nowhere near singularly responsible for anything, however, they were a critical part of forcing things to happen when they did.

Reagan's domestic economic policies, from his increased spending to his tax reforms most certainly had a massive and positive impact on the US economy. US GDP was 2.7 trillion in 1980 and 5.1 trillion in 1988, an 88% increase.

None of that takes into account the impact Reagan had on making people "believe in America" again. I look at Reagan and FDR in the same light on this one. FDR has plenty one can criticize. He is not fully deserving of the liberal cult of personality that has been created around him. However, he made people feel better and believe in the country again and there is a lot to be said for that.

My politics lean conservative, but I don't consider Reagan a hero. I do consider him to be one of the most effective American leaders of the 20th century. If you noticed, my personal list contains both Reagan and FDR. I may be a little more "Reagan" in my personal politics, but both were effective leaders, neither were perfect and neither really deserves to idolized like they have been, no president does.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestone8 View Post
And how exactly were thr greenbacks "worthless"?
Greenbacks were Unconstitutional, being unbacked by gold or silver.
This led to a major economic crisis, and the national bank setups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History