Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,678,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Then the question becomes, "What event, and what effect?" (Along, perhaps, with "On what scale?") To my knowledge there is no defined and commonly-accepted designation for people born between the Korean conflict and 1965; the Baby Boom segues directly to Generation X. I was born in 1964 to parents who were certainly old enough to be the parents of undisputed Boomers... so for me it's a comfortable label.
Those Boomers born in the late '50s who deny being Boomers bring up the decline in the birth rate from 1958 on and the end of the draft as disqualifying them from Boomer status.

There's also a test of sorts - anyone who can't remember Kennedy's assassination isn't a Boomer. (Is there a similar test with 9/11 and Millenials?)

I wonder how it is for Euro Boomers.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,874,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Strauss

The boom in Western Europe lasted longer, though ; I suspect '64 might be a Euro definition.
I was actually being polite in my post but really...1964 designated as the boomer cutoff year for 20+ years now. Perhaps more. Pathetic what the Internet has done to make common knowledge disputed and unread folk experts.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:27 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Those Boomers born in the late '50s who deny being Boomers bring up the decline in the birth rate from 1958 on and the end of the draft as disqualifying them from Boomer status.

There's also a test of sorts - anyone who can't remember Kennedy's assassination isn't a Boomer.
I'd go along with that. I'd also say that anyone who too young to have an opinion of the Korean War while it was ongoing but old enough to have an opinion of the Vietnam war while that war was ongoing is a Boomer.

Quote:
Is there a similar test with 9/11 and Millenials?)
A Millennial is anyone who can't remember a time before the World Wide Web.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:29 PM

45,586 posts, read 60,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'd go along with that. I'd also say that anyone who too young to have an opinion of the Korean War while it was ongoing but old enough to have an opinion of the Vietnam war while that war was ongoing is a Boomer.

Or who think they're the only generation to suffer unemployment and a multi-year recession.

They also invented pre-marital sex.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:29 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or who think they're the only generation to suffer unemployment and a multi-year recession.

They also invented pre-marital sex.
Not useful.

Being raised as a small child with the World Wide Web is a socially significant epoch.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:42 PM

45,586 posts, read 60,969,746 times
Quote:
Not useful.

Being raised as a small child with the World Wide Web is a socially significant epoch.
I was adding to your postulate.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM

453 posts, read 633,704 times
Quote:

I was born long after the Korean War and roughly nine months after JFK was killed, but I definitely had an opinion about the war in Vietnam while it was still happening, as I was already in the double-digit age bracket when it ended. Hard to avoid current events discussion in my family, and we had our share of military veterans including my dad.

Guess I pass the test after all, or well enough for most demographers.

Baby boomers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Kineticity; 12-23-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,144,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post
I'm in high school now and I've looked at yearbooks of my school from various decades as well as my parents yearbooks and the teenagers looked extremely old. My parents both went to school in the 70s and they certainly didn't look like me at 16. I look at the faces of the teenagers in the yearbooks and they could easily pass for a 40 year old even 50 year old if they look really old (which a lot do). Every other guy had a mustache and a lot even had beards and the girls looked like middle aged women. I know they had different hairstyles and wore different clothes them but they just had faces that didn't look youthful at all. Teenagers now look so much younger than teenagers of any other generation. I noticed that teenagers now are much shorter and look much younger. I'd say a lot of teens now could pass for 10-12 year olds. It's quite strange how teens didn't start looking young until about the mid 90s. Does anyone have a logical explanation for all of this?
It could be your perception changing as you get older yourself. I remember when I was in elementary school and the middle school students seemed like young adults in my eyes. Once I began high school, the middle school students after me seemed kinda babyfaced.

Maybe in the 70s, more teens smoked, and that can age people. Smoking isn't as acceptable today for teens or adults, it's out of style compared to back then. Maybe more of them were on recreational drugs in the 70s compared to now, and that can be aging. Facial hair will make boys look older for sure. For girls back then, center parts, no bangs, thinly tweezed eyebrows were in, maybe perms too, which aren't all that youthful.

I was a teen in the 80s. The hairstyles for girls that were in at the time were short. The clothes were boxy and androgynous. That adds up to "frumpy". I get kind of sad if I go back and watch some old teen movie from the 80s, because I felt like our youth was wasted dressing like a middle-aged housewife before our time. Can't say much for the boys.

After the 90s, teen girls' clothing styles got sexier, much to their parents' disappointment, I imagine. Lower rise jeans with thong panty peeking out, skinny jeans, "juicy" printed on the backside of sweatpants, short skirts etc. Also, more teens now use the Manic Panic haircolors. Nothing middle-aged about that look.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:48 PM

Another thing about teens from the 70s looking older:
You may be watching too many "Welcome Back, Kotter" reruns. Damn, those sweathogs looked old for teens.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My mom went to HS in 40's and really, she looked 30 when she was 13. Black and white photo, dark lipstick, heavily drawn on eyebrows, hair in a wave....everyone WANTED to look older. It wasn't just something that occurred, it was on purpose.
I think in the older days, there wasn't really a distinctive style of clothing and hair just for teens. Preadulescense, you dressed and did your hair like a kid. Once puberty was underway, you dressed and groomed like a mature adult. I think the popularity of jeans changed that, along with girdles and beehive hairdos falling out of fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History