Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:55 PM

119 posts, read 300,288 times

Advertisements

My mother's classmates looked their ages in the 80s. Mine looked theirs in the 2000s but tell me why most of my old schoolmates at 27 look 50? Very haggard. Some of the girls have several wrinkles on their foreheads already and the guys are either fat or look like they've done outside manual labor for 30 years. Life must be rough for a lot of people or maybe it's drugs and alcohol.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post
I'm in high school now and I've looked at yearbooks of my school from various decades as well as my parents yearbooks and the teenagers looked extremely old. My parents both went to school in the 70s and they certainly didn't look like me at 16. I look at the faces of the teenagers in the yearbooks and they could easily pass for a 40 year old even 50 year old if they look really old (which a lot do). Every other guy had a mustache and a lot even had beards and the girls looked like middle aged women. I know they had different hairstyles and wore different clothes them but they just had faces that didn't look youthful at all. Teenagers now look so much younger than teenagers of any other generation. I noticed that teenagers now are much shorter and look much younger. I'd say a lot of teens now could pass for 10-12 year olds. It's quite strange how teens didn't start looking young until about the mid 90s. Does anyone have a logical explanation for all of this?
Shut up! You're the one who looks old!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,141,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I can't figure out why Boomer school officials are so totally uncool. How could we have been so cool as students and become so uncool as principals and teachers?
Just my opinion I think that the Boomers in charge now as they grow older think the era of the 1950's and 60's where rigidity and conformity were held in high esteem were the good old days. They probably think that the counter cultural movement of the 60's was a great American tragedy and anything that remind them of that in today teens is something they frown upon.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Just my opinion I think that the Boomers in charge now as they grow older think the era of the 1950's and 60's where rigidity and conformity were held in high esteem were the good old days. They probably think that the counter cultural movement of the 60's was a great American tragedy and anything that remind them of that in today teens is something they frown upon.
The Boomers were the counter-culture of the 60s. The high school principals of today were the hippy long-haired, bell-bottomed, weed-smoking revolutionaries of the 60s and early 70s.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 PM

13 posts, read 99,133 times
Quote:
The Boomers were the counter-culture of the 60s. The high school principals of today were the hippy long-haired, bell-bottomed, weed-smoking revolutionaries of the 60s and early 70s.
I actually think a lot of the older teachers are cool. Some are strict and mean but most aren't. I actually find teachers in their 30s to be the most uptight and always in a bad mood and they grew up in the 90s which is pretty recent so I don't understand how most of them act 80 when teachers in their 40s and up do not.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
My question is, why do college kids today look and act like 14 year olds?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:52 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Perhaps clothing and fashion goes with the generation, not the age. Since they wore clothes typical of their generation, your generation sees that as an 'older' look simply because, in your time, that is an 'older' generation. Plausible?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post
I'm in high school now and I've looked at yearbooks of my school from various decades as well as my parents yearbooks and the teenagers looked extremely old. My parents both went to school in the 70s and they certainly didn't look like me at 16. I look at the faces of the teenagers in the yearbooks and they could easily pass for a 40 year old even 50 year old if they look really old (which a lot do). Every other guy had a mustache and a lot even had beards and the girls looked like middle aged women. I know they had different hairstyles and wore different clothes them but they just had faces that didn't look youthful at all. Teenagers now look so much younger than teenagers of any other generation. I noticed that teenagers now are much shorter and look much younger. I'd say a lot of teens now could pass for 10-12 year olds. It's quite strange how teens didn't start looking young until about the mid 90s. Does anyone have a logical explanation for all of this?

I think you misinterpreting how people carry one self with age. Teens back than not into punk ,youth and casual look.The hairstyles was different.

Back than it was more formal.

I know 26 year old girl that walked in to buy booze and the clerk thought she was 16 years old .It was because she was dress sorta of punk and grunge combo.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My question is, why do college kids today look and act like 14 year olds?
For that matter, why do 40-year-old men dress exactly like 14-year-olds?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,513,508 times
Quote:
For that matter, why do 40-year-old men dress exactly like 14-year-olds?
I think this may be at least partly explained by the rise of population in the Sun Belt, with SoCal and its influence on popular culture at the forefront. I've noticed how in movies or TV shows where the male characters wear traditional business attire, they keep important items in their inside jacket pockets--for instance travel documents, wallets, and in later years, mobile phones. On Frasier, for example, you'd often see either one of the brothers reach into this pocket when their phones rang.

But if you live in a climate where, pretty much, you put the jacket on only for job interviews and formal photographs that doesn't work too well. It's too easy to lose things if you carry the jacket over your arm, and your cell phone isn't much use if it's in your jacket which you left hanging on the back of a chair in another room. That inner pocket is essentially useless. So I think a lot of men continue to gravitate towards jeans and cargo-type pants, especially in their off hours. I think more recently produced shows have probably tended to exhibit this trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.