Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Let's go back to "if the martians land on earth and try to colonize...." scenario...it seems more plausible.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
First, I think it's poor planning on the terrorist part with the president being in Hawaii and most of Congress out boinking interns across the country. If these terrorists are smart enough to obtain a nuclear device and smuggle it into the US into one of the most secure cities in the world, wouldn't they at least blow it up when they could take out the most important leaders of our nation? Maybe the State of the Union would be a good time (ala Tom Clancy).

Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 AM

553 posts, read 595,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Let's go back to "if the martians land on earth and try to colonize...." scenario...it seems more plausible.
I agree!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
So there really isn't an al Qaeda, just as there are no Martians ....... or is it that you think it would be somehow physically impossible for them to buy a nuke and smuggle it in? Or maybe that nukes are inoperative in DC? I'm not sure I understand what is tripping up you two, what is so implausible. Please try to give an answer other than dumb scorn.

The OP scenario doesn't have to be played out in all details ..... the basic idea is that a nuke has gone off in DC, play around with the details if you want to.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:56 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
the basic idea is that a nuke has gone off in DC, play around with the details if you want to.
Okay. Superman flies around the Earth at superspeed, reversing the rotation and causing time to flow backwards. He then puts the arm on the terrorists before they can set up their bomb.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:06 PM

That's funny, Grandstander! It's funny because we all know that a nuke couldn't go off in DC.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
al Qaeda is flush with cash,
Most experts don't believe that to be true. Of course, they don't necessarily have to be. Estimates for the entire planning and execution of 9/11 are at most $500,000.

They have no capacity to wipe out D.C, however. None. It's not happening.

Also, your scenario makes no sense. Why would they wait until the most senior leadership is out of town to attack?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Why would they wait until the most senior leadership is out of town to attack?
It's a comedy, the story of some hilariously inept terrorists and the equally stumble bum security agency trying to stop them. Think KAOS and CONTROL from Get Smart.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Al Qaida has issued lists and Los Angeles is on them. There have been failed attempts at terrorist strikes at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport and these have been reported in the news.

The Jihadists have two criteria in deciding which American cities to hit:

1) They pick places they've heard of.

2) They pick places they percieve as a threat to Islam.

Los Angeles fits both of those categories. So do Las Vegas, Miami, San Francisco, and New York. San Francisco has homosexuals who are put to death in Islamic countries. New York is the biggest Jewish city in the world, more Jews than Jerusalem.

The question is about DC being nuked. Al Qaeda has nukes? And an Air Force or ICBMs to deliver them, which can technologically evade detection and interception?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The question is about DC being nuked. Al Qaeda has nukes? And an Air Force or ICBMs to deliver them, which can technologically evade detection and interception?
So you believe a terrorist organization couldn't ever get hold of a nuke ...... perhaps you think that God would forbid it? I didn't say that an ICBM would deliver it ...... I said a small nuke that could be smuggled in. They do make them that small, you know. And when Iran starts rolling them off the assembly line, they will eventually become available on the black market.

The question is not about the specific issues of whether Al Qaeda would be the terrorist organization, whether they could pull it off at this moment, how many kilotons the weapon yields, whether the president or the senator from Ohio could be harmed in the blast, the casualty count, how many blocks would be destroyed partly or entirely, or most amusingly whether cartoon characters are involved. Perhaps I shouldn't have said there was a small occupation, that was about the only dumb thing I said. As far as the President goes I was just saying he and most of Congress escaped, so that it would present a "best case" scenario ..... but certainly we can kill him off if desired, we could have the bomb go off nearby where everyone was in session.

It's a question about what would happen to civilization from such a simple occurrance as terrorist organizations smuggling smallish nukes. The panic would be exponentially worse than flying a plane into a building or two. How much would it affect the financial systems if people were afraid to do many things like deliver goods to or even live in large cities, how much more in the way of resources would be diverted into security and military spending, would we lash out at Middle Easterners or be drawn into wars out of a need for politicians to "do something"?

The reason I ask is because eventually it is likely to happen, if not DC then elsewhere. Eventually some large target in the US. The main limitation is the refinement apparatus for the commonly found ore ..... but demand is increasing for the centrifuges, and technology is improving - such equipment is bound to get faster, smaller, more available. Iran is on the verge of rolling nuclear bombs off assembly lines and Israel may not be able to stop that completely, they will likely have more than they need for dominance in the ME and to keep the US at bay. Other rogue nations such as NKorea and Pakistan have made a few, and are working for more ..... what if NKorea should need extra cash after they've made a few extra? Could we destroy them if we can't even prove they were the ones who sold it? If we do, what if one of the other nuclear countries would need more cash, if only to improve their nuclear program ...... no one could prove they sold one, and we have no ability to retaliate in a meaningful way against a diffuse worldwide organization of terrorists who are willing to die for their jihadist beliefs ...... beliefs which are shared by many wealthy Islamists around the world.

Yes, I have to emphasize that it is almost certain to happen eventually to one large city or another, maybe Tel Aviv if not DC, or maybe an easier target, even possibly within the next decade or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History