Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:04 AM

49 posts, read 73,914 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find a topic like that here, please forgive me and redirect me if such a topic's already been raised.

It'd be also interesting to know who not only initiated but took part in already started wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
This topic will end well....

OP you should take this topic to the politics forum for various reasons - not only will it draw silly partisan arguments, but the concept of party politics has changed throughout history, with debates on if we started vs. if we were drawn into wars. Also how do you reconcile these results with the different branches of government? Do you really want a table with each war and who controlled the executive office, the senate, and the house? How do you define the Indian wars that lasted on and off for over a century? Maybe the Whig party started the most wars?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Well, we can blame the Revolution on the Tea Party....

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Ok, I'm sorry I'll have to redefine it a bit: I'm only interested in wars outside US territory:
local Indian wars, tea party revolts etc. are not included.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This topic will end well....

OP you should take this topic to the politics forum for various reasons - not only will it draw silly partisan arguments, but the concept of party politics has changed throughout history, with debates on if we started vs. if we were drawn into wars. Also how do you reconcile these results with the different branches of government? Do you really want a table with each war and who controlled the executive office, the senate, and the house? How do you define the Indian wars that lasted on and off for over a century? Maybe the Whig party started the most wars?
Not interested in the senate as well, only the presidents' parties are taken into account.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by povar81 View Post
Not interested in the senate as well, only the presidents' parties are taken into account.
Well, like I said, you have the Whig Party, the Federalist Party, the War Union party, and my favorite - the "no-nothing party". You had George Washington who didn't belong to any party at all (he didn't like them), and then to add to the confusion you have the "Democrat-Republican" party. The 2 party system really didn't come about until the last have of the 19th century.
And of course, in the 1800s - the Republican party was more like the Democrat party today, while the Democrat party was more like the Republican party today.
Confused yet?

Does the Lincoln County war count? How about the Hatfield vs. McCoy war? Or the Clanton-Earp War?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,018 times
Let's start around the turn of the 20th Century. This is probably not a complete list, but it comes close. My criteria is two-fold. First, American forces deployed onto/over foreign soil. Second, actual combat operations undertaken.:

Spanish-American War* -- McKinley -- Republican

World War I -- Wilson -- Democrat

World War II* -- FDR-Truman -- Democrat

Korean Conflict -- Truman/Eisenhower -- Democrat/Republican

Vietnam -- Kennedy-Johnson/Nixon -- Democrat/Republican

Iran Hostage Rescue (failed) -- Carter -- Democrat

Lebanese Civil War -- Reagan -- Republican

Grenada -- Reagan -- Republican

Libya Bombing -- Reagan -- Republican

Panama Canal Zone -- GHW Bush -- Republican

Desert Shield/Storm -- GHW Bush -- Republican

Iraqi Freedom -- GW Bush/Obama -- Republican/Democrat

Enduring Freedom* -- GW Bush/Obama -- Republican/Democrat

=========================================

Counting both the ones started, and the ones "inherited", the count stands at:

Republican -- 10

Democrat -- 7

Regards as always,

-- Nighteyes

* These conflicts took place in multiple locations on more than one continent

Last edited by Nighteyes; 09-24-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The 2 party system really didn't come about until the last have of the 19th century.
Not correct.

The two party system originated when the Democrat-Republicans were formed during the administration of Federalist John Adams, to provide a platform to oppose his reelection. The elections of 1800, 1804, 1808 and 1812 were Federalist vs Democrat-Republican.

The Federalist party then went out of business and it was all one party with internal rivalries until 1832 when Henry Clay was nominated by the newly formed National Republican Party and the Anti-Mason Party. By 1836 the opposition had fused into the Whig Party and it was Whigs vs Democrats through the election of 1852.

In 1856 the Republican Party was created and ever since it has been Republicans vs Democrats.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
there is no perceivable difference.
the two-party system is a sham.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:20 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Let's start around the turn of the 20th Century. This is probably not a complete list, but it comes close. My criteria is two-fold. First, American forces deployed onto/over foreign soil. Second, actual combat operations undertaken.:

Spanish-American War* -- McKinley -- Republican

World War I -- Wilson -- Democrat

World War II* -- FDR-Truman -- Democrat

Korean Conflict -- Truman/Eisenhower -- Democrat/Republican

Vietnam -- Kennedy-Johnson/Nixon -- Democrat/Republican

Lebanese Civil War -- Reagan -- Republican

Grenada -- Reagan -- Republican

Libya Bombing -- Reagan -- Republican

Panama Canal Zone -- GHW Bush -- Republican

Desert Shield/Storm -- GHW Bush -- Republican

Iraqi Freedom -- GW Bush/Obama -- Republican/Democrat

Enduring Freedom* -- GW Bush/Obama -- Republican/Democrat

=========================================

Counting both the ones started, and the ones "inherited", the count stands at:

Republican -- 10

Democrat -- 6

-- Nighteyes

* These conflicts took place in multiple locations on more than one continent
You're being selective. I think it fair to say that out of the DECLARED wars there were quite a few less...if not, you need to include quite a few more (i.e. Border War, Operation Power Pack, First Gulf of Sidra Incident..etc...)

With that in mind, what most people would categorize as a DECLARED war would be, the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, The Korean War, VietNam War, Gulf Storm, War in Afghanistan, War in Iraq....the rest were invasions, incursions or military actions, not full blown wars....

Assuming THAT you would have a 5/5 split with WW1, WW2 going to Democrats, The Korean War a 1/1 split with Truman and Eisenhower, VietNam with a 2/1 Split with Kennedy and Johnson the two Democrats and Nixon the Republican, Gulf Storm going to Bush 1.0 and the last two going to George W Bush for a total 5/5 split.

Now, if you want to add all the banana republic incursion and incidents make sure you include Kosovo and all those others...assuming you did, you would have 20 wars/operations to account for. Oh and here's that list you mentioned was "probably not a complete" or, were trolling for the Democrat side....on city-data...shocking........just report the facts next time.

Also, you might want to actually weigh-in on how everyone was behind the wars, left and right during those initial days to include Viet Nam...you know, the one Kennedy started in the Gulf of Tonkin, Johnson Escalated and then Bobby Kennedy condemned in hopes of gaining the WH in 68 over....always starting Shiite, seldom completing it....

Oh and yeah, we are basically in one now wouldn't you think? With that "coalition" the President has going or is this a banana war too???

List of wars involving the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History