Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If our sexual orientation is genetic, that would indicate that it could be modified by environmental factors. Specifically, changes in the hormonal balance of the mother and/or developing fetus could influence the hormonal signature of the child at birth. Therefore variations or changes in the environment can affect a persons sexual orientation. This has been proven with laboratory animals; scientists can "create" homosexuals. It is highly probable that the chemicals in birth control pills which end up in the water supply (and can not be taken out) would have an influence on unborn children. That would explain the increase in recent years.

One could counter by asking why homosexuality was so prevalent in ancient times. Well, just as homosexuals were forced out of shame to live heterosexual lifestyles during most of history in most cultures, it would not be hard to accept that if your government and culture told you that homosexuality was a virtue, that even heterosexuals would feel forced into engaging in homosexual activity.
Not sure how you leapt from " if our sexual orientation is genetic " to say that " would indicated that it could be modified by environmental factors. "

Two totally different things.

There is no evidence that homosexuality has increased in recent years. What has increased is in people coming out. Simple as that.

Sexuality, in my opinion, has probably been constant throughout history. What has changed is society.

Lastly, there is a huge, huge difference in a person feeling forced to engage in a sexual activity and that person sexual identity. Gay men and women who felt forced into heterosexual relationships were still gay men and women. The same would be true of straight people feeling forced into gay relationships, although I have NEVER heard that happening.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-02-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
On History (or Military channel?), there was a Prussian general who was rumored to have been a homosexual. He left his post, and ended up coming to Colonial American to help Washington train the Continental Army. Whipped them back into shape, and also taught them bayonet fighting.

As for the Ancient Greeks, they wrestled in the nude during their Olympics. That doesn't have to be sexual in nature, but one can't help if there's some tension there anyways.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
This is a sensitive topic and I should state outright that I am inquisitive and if in my inquisitiveness I offend someone, I apologize in advance.

How prevalent was homosexuality in all history? If being gay is genetic, or biological- and I feel it is- then how did they live and survive in say for example Ancient Greece, or 1642 London or 1315 China? I am not talking about famous cases like Oscar Wilde or Alexander. But the average layman on the streets. Did they just pretend to go about their daily lives and cry at nights thinking they are cursed? One Neo conservative asked on a forum "How come gay people are becoming so common now as opposed to the 30s and 40s? Of course he was maligned but it did make me wonder.

Today so many people come out as gay. Chances are you know someone who is. The underground gay association is bursting with people even in ultra conservative societies like the Middle East. Surely it's a huge risk but they finally have science and logic telling them they are unique and just as normal as anyone else.
When there was no clear definition, nor any biological reasoning, how did they live with it?
What I don't understand is if you didn't want a heated debate, the information is easily found on google. And why the comment about Neo Conservative asking a perfectly LOGICAL question that you are asking youself

You may want to study the meaning of Neo Conservative. It has very little to do with these types of social issues and the "founders" were more reformed LIBERALS than dyed in the wool Conservatives.

NOW.

There has been gender variance for as long as civilization has been documented.

See Plato Symposium c. 385–370 BC: Aristophanes. Also said to be an inspiration for the play Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

Ask any Native American, too, about Two Spirit individuals.

Also ask any "gay" man how many "married" "straight" men cruise them. LOL nothing NEW just not as HIDDEN. It's called "the down low".

Old 10-02-2014, 01:58 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
If true, the incidence would look very much like that for the recessive sex-linked condition known as hemophilia -- many more males than females. And that's very much what it looks like.
Is it? How *do* the genders break down on this? It seems like homosexuality was more acceptable (or at least less persecuted) among females than among males?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
According to Greek authors the Celts practiced homosexuality, although it has been postulated that this is merely a misunderstanding of Celtic male bonding rights.

Indeed, one wonders how much alleged homosexuality among the ancients--or among the more recent Victorians, for that matter--is simply this misunderstanding or mistranslation.

Oscar Wilde certainly was, but trying to describe *Abraham Lincoln* this way, based upon writing style of the era? Get a life.

Last edited by NickB1967; 10-02-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catavenger View Post
Why do you care what people do with their own bodies?
I think everyone is somewhat bisexual and it's just a matter of which gender they are more attracted to. I also think that this can change depending on circumstances. For instance if there are a group of many men and very few (or no) women the men will be "homosexual." This has happened on board ships, in prison and elsewhere throughout history.
Which implies that it is behavioral and situational and psychological rather then genetic?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
You mean how prevalent was open homosexuality in history?

Homosexuality has probably been practiced in all cultures throughout history, but acceptance of it has varied. There have been times when it was acceptable, and even times when it was fashionable. There have also been times when it was strongly condemned. In fact, the idea that homosexuality was biological was first proposed during a time when homosexuals were sentenced to death, as a plea that their lives should be spared because they couldn't help it. There have also been some cultures that condemned homosexuality, but made certain "exceptions".

I'm not an expert on the history of human sexuality, but it's an interesting topic. I'm sure you could probably find books on this subject at your local library.
An anthropologist, Marvin Harris, had a theory that the more "natalist" (desirability and fashionability of child birthing and rearing) a society was, the more homosexuality would be frowned upon and vice versa.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Gay men and women who felt forced into heterosexual relationships were still gay men and women. The same would be true of straight people feeling forced into gay relationships, although I have NEVER heard that happening.
*cough* Prisons *cough*. Yes, it does happen.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
I wonder how many of those who pitch or catch in prisons ever truly come back to the other side. Or were on one side to begin with.

To have sex one must have an erection and how can one have an erection in terms of sex with a male if one truly is a heterosexual. I tend to think it is latent homosexuality/bisexuality come to the surface.

The Ancients, of course we refer to Greeks and Romans who we identify with due to our civilization, also had other practices we would find repugnant today. I suspect the quantity of homosexuals then as now was small only tolerated and understood to be a practice which some prefer and others find no interest in.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
I meant outside in society. I was responding to this.

…"One could counter by asking why homosexuality was so prevalent in ancient times. Well, just as homosexuals were forced out of shame to live heterosexual lifestyles during most of history in most cultures, it would not be hard to accept that if your government and culture told you that homosexuality was a virtue, that even heterosexuals would feel forced into engaging in homosexual activity."

I know of no " society " that has enforced homosexuality onto anyone. An individual, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History