Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Eddie Murphy's "Today in Black History" was one of my more favorites, especially the installment about Washington Carver's Peanut Butter patents being stolen by Mr. Skippy and Mr. Jif.
I liked "the first self-serve gas station", where an old white guy pulls up and waits while the black attendant just sits there, and when he finally yells, "Hey, I need some gas" the black guy says "Get it yo' damn self."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
This thread was a riot. Flying Eleanor Roosevelt is the visual of the day.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In SNL's early years they had a recurring sketch called "What If?" which was panelists discussing alternative scenarios. One of them was "What if Superman's rocket had landed in Nazi Germany rather than the US?"

The result was Uberman who wins the war for them by killing everyone in England. He also scopes out Jews trying to pass themselves off as as Aryan using his x-ray vision on their crotches.
They had one with the two Georgias switching places. All I remember about that sketch was Jimmy Carter having to resign as president as he was now a citizen of the Soviet Union.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
They had one with the two Georgias switching places. All I remember about that sketch was Jimmy Carter having to resign as president as he was now a citizen of the Soviet Union.
I believe that you are probably thinking of the Albert Brooks short film "The Impossible Truth" where he had Georgia and Israel switching places.

Quote:
Narrator: In an unprecedented move to ease world tensions, the country of Israel and the state of Georgia have agreed to change places. The entire state of Georgia -- residents, businesses, all forms of commerce -- will relocate in the Middle East on January 1st, 1977. No buildings will be moved. It will be an even property exchange. [Music out.]

Israeli: This is indeed an auspicious occasion of the twentieth century and I hope that New Orleans will be easier to deal with than Cairo. [applause]

Georgian: I know - I know that my entire state is looking forward to heat without humidity. [applause]
SNL Transcripts: George Carlin: 10/11/75: The Impossible Truth

Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I recall how his X-ray vision discovered a Jew among the Nazis.
Played by future U.S. Senator Al Franken.

"No! No, it's not true! My parents were just very advanced in hygeine, that's all..!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Aykroyd should be forgiven the error, since that was the same show where he portrayed "Fred Garvin - Male Prostitute".
Oops. My error, too. Fred Garvin appeared in a different show.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:49 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Also you wrote executed in the header. There is generally a different usage intent between killed and executed. What would Ford be executed for?
Treason?

It might be a reference to Henry Ford's love affair with fascism and distribution of antisemitic magazines through Ford dealerships and other places ( Ford "recommended" that the dealerships carry a far right / antisemitic magazine that he indirectly published) during the 1930s and 1940s.

In either case, Ford's fascist fantasies was far more "WASP superiority" mixed with some nasty antisemitic comments than dogmatic NAZI stuff. There were no gas chambers for Ford's various "undesirables" just immigration quotas, segregation, and Jim Crow type policies.

Ford's views were rather common amongst US tycoons at the time. Getty was accused of maintaining contacts with a variety of far right rabble rousers during the 1930s. Both Ford and Getty were also smart enough to stop making "Hitler's got some good ideas, he just gets carried away... ." type comments when war came. In the end, Ford's views did not come anywhere near treason, so he was not facing anymore severe punishment besides being labeled an all too common jerk.

Last edited by Cryptic; 02-20-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking What if Henry Ford was executed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Killed before he produced his first Ford car and Ford plant. Would Mercedes-Benz be today's low cost economy car instead if the company known as FORD never existed in time.

I have a better one!

What if somehow, fantastically, overnight across the world, pink transformed into gray?

Would it lead to unforeseen developments like the Cubs winning the World Series?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Treason?

It might be a reference to Henry Ford's love affair with fascism and distribution of antisemitic magazines through Ford dealerships and other places ( Ford "recommended" that the dealerships carry a far right / antisemitic magazine that he indirectly published) during the 1930s and 1940s.

In either case, Ford's fascist fantasies was far more "WASP superiority" mixed with some nasty antisemitic comments than dogmatic NAZI stuff. There were no gas chambers for Ford's various "undesirables" just immigration quotas, segregation, and Jim Crow type policies.

Ford's views were rather common amongst US tycoons at the time. Getty was accused of maintaining contacts with a variety of far right rabble rousers during the 1930s. Both Ford and Getty were also smart enough to stop making "Hitler's got some good ideas, he just gets carried away... ." type comments when war came. In the end, Ford's views did not come anywhere near treason, so he was not facing anymore severe punishment besides being labeled an all too common jerk.
Ford sold equipment to and helped arm the Axis during WW2, which is certainly a felony. Racist beliefs are one thing, but helping equip militaries that are fighting the US is another. The current equivalent would roughly be if a major US corporation was helping to equip ISIS.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,568 times
ford's greatest invention wasn't the car. It was using assembly line to create products.

as a side note, the idea of an assembly line is a basic component of the CPU. if no one had come up with that idea, we wouldn't have the fast computers we have today.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Ford sold equipment to and helped arm the Axis during WW2, which is certainly a felony. Racist beliefs are one thing, but helping equip militaries that are fighting the US is another. The current equivalent would roughly be if a major US corporation was helping to equip ISIS.
Only if he helped the Nazis after December 07, 1941. Before the formal declaration of war against Nazi Germany, Ford would just be another all too common rascist with the added spin of professing admiration for "Teutonic orderliness".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History