Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 02:14 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
On the Road: Sorry about the hi-jacking. I am new at this stuff. But what I said was true. That was what I was doing in 1971-2. My daughter was married that year and my son entered UMass that year. I had been a young bride and became a young college Mom and Mother in law. The war in Vietnam was about over. Nixon became President. Spiro Agnew, his V.P. told the press off and was by husband's hero. When my new son in law first came dating, he was wearing long hair and was home from Boston College law school because of a demonstration against the war taking place. My husband said to him, "I hope you are not one of those crazy kids demonstrating and wasting your parents hard earned money." And the young man replied." Someone has to get rid of that jerk Agnew!" My husband flew of the chair and said, No crazy liberal kid is going to marry my daughter and that's it." Well, here we are today with two grandchildren, one a graduate of Princeton, the other a graduate of University of Vermont, both successful in their chosen careers, three great grandchildren later and we all laugh at Gramps and Spiro Agnew story. You see, all politics is not bad, you can get a laugh out of it. That is my 1971-2 story.
Ha, ha!

Too funny. I love this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:57 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,154 times
I remember my dad had a 65 Stingray Corvette then bought a 59 Corvette also. He had them both for awhile then sold the 65. Several years later he sold the 59 also. 71-72 was a good year for him for cars. He sure wishes he just had one of them today.Probably a good thing he got rid of them before I could drive though

Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,378 times
Default 1971-72

Read this book for an accurate description of life in those days.

Why Didn't You Have To Go To Vietnam, Daddy?

Outskirts Press (broken link)

Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Do people really think they would play a cut like The Doors "The End" or some of The Airplane's songs (with Grace Slick singing 'tear down the walls m*** f***ers') .
I still can't get AFN to play the Door's "Five in One" even today.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
I was in Vietnam all of '71; I remember the announcement on AFN that Morrison had died and Rod Stewart singing "Maggie Mae", Cat Stevens and "Wild World", CSNY and "Ohio". In '72 I went to Germany. It was the year of the Black September Munich massacre of the Israelis, the beginnings of Watergate (I was the only one among us that thought it could cause real trouble for Nixon) and the Germans played "Smoke on the Water" so much I thought it was the German National Anthem. At the end of '72 I went back to Vietnam for the last time. It was an odd time.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 AM

93 posts, read 305,315 times
My mother and I arrived in Los Angeles in February of 1971 from Spain, where I was born. My dad had been wounded in Vietnam and received a purple heart, and medically discharged. I remember vividly my father wearing his uniform when he went to pick us up at the airport; and I remember my father being beaten and having his uniform ripped off of him right there at the airport, in front of his wife and three young children. That was a Monday; the following day the Sylmar earthquake hit and we had to leave our home of one day due to damage sustained in the quake.

The VA found us living quarters - in the Mar Vista Gardens housing projects which was supposedly it's own little hell. I don't remember it that way, I remember walking to school (I was 6!) alone and the worst thing that ever happened to me was I would have to give this 1st grader a kiss on the cheek so I could cross the street. I remember all the kids getting together to play tag, hopscotch literally all day with little parental supervision. Not that we had bad parents, but it was just a different mindset back then.

I remember wearing a lot of polyester and the men wearing these funky white shoes with huge platform heels, and my father shaking his head and saying "It's just not right when a man puts on high heels" lol.

Oddly enough, even though we lived in a housing project and I went to one of the most dangerous schools in the nation, what I most remember is how safe and carefree it all was back then. We stayed in the projects for three years, long enough to save up to buy our first house in San Fernando, which we paid a whopping $12,000 for. It took my dad 3 years to save up the $3000 down payment. Odder still, it was only after we left the projects that I realized that we had been poor! People weren't so materialistic back then.

With a few exceptions, that was a very good year to 6 years old in Los Angeles, even in the projects!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,466 times
1971 or 1972 ....well the first thing I want to say is it was possibly the best time ever .....nobody knew it at the time but everything peaked then

TV Shows ......"All in the Family" ..."Mary Tyler Moore" ....MASH .....Flip Wilson Show ....Carol Burnett Show ....the list goes on and on ......

Movies ..... "The God Father" ....."Dirty Harry" ...."Straw Dogs" ...Deliverence" ....I could go on and on

Music ......"Who's Next" .....Led Zeppelin's Fourth Album .....
The Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" ....Alice Cooper's "Killer"
....Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" .....again the list is almost endless

Cars ....Camaro Z-28 .....Firebird Trans Am ....Dodge Challenger
Plymouth Barracuda ....Ford Mustang Mach-1 ....last days of the muscle car

everything changed after 1972 .....Watergate ....a new cynical age dawned
...energy crisis of late 1973 ....things were never the same

Prices started rising dramatically too ....a candy bar was only 10 cents in 1971 .....small ice cream cone 10 cents too ....Big Mac 85 cents
Nice new house $ 25,000 ....that's what my parents paid in 1971
...that same house is now $ 250,000

Wages were alot less but the ratio of pay to cost of goods was better

We had only 2 bathrooms ....1 rotary phone ...single garage .....
nobody owned a personal computer ....only large companies had them and they took up an entire floor

OhYeah, I almost forgot it was great to be a kid then ....
we'd play outside all day long

Only downer was there was a drug problem back then,a legacy of the 1960's that we still live with today ....however no crack ...crystal meth problems ...that came much later

Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
What a great question posed by the OP!
Ah, 1971-72...salad days! I was a sophomore in college, and my boyfriend had just transferred to my school. He joined a fraternity later that school year and we enjoyed some wild parties! Actually, pretty tame...alcohol, no drugs. After all, I was a nice Southern sorority girl!
We drove junker cars...paid 35 cents a gallon for gas. Prices had gone up at the movies. $1.50 to get in and 15 or 25 cents for the popcorn (you got butter for the quarter) and 15 cents for a small Coke...and the small coke was a 7-ounce cup with ice!
The university did not serve food on Sunday night. If I was loaded, I might order a wine pizza for $3.50, delivered. If I was broke, I'd get a can of Coke and a bag of cheese curls from the vending machine - 15 cents for the Coke and 10 cents for the cheese curls.
We attended a couple of concerts that year in the university's coliseum...the Who, I believe...maybe the Rolling Stones was another. They were expensive, though - TEN WHOLE DOLLARS for students!
Varsity basketball games were free for students. There were no women's sports teams unless you counted cheerleaders. Home football games were also free, and $3 for a student guest ticket.
Tuition was $250 a semester...all my books might run $100 (total, not each) if I bought all new books. But you could usually find used ones for $5 or maybe $10 each!
Great days!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I pasted the top 20 music hits from 1971: Ahhhh, the hip revolutionary music of, ummm, whaaa...The Osmonds, The BeeGees, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Cher, and the Jackson 5. Rounding out the top 40 was the dangerous drug-fueled music of The Carpenters, Tom Jones, and John Denver. Oh well so much for peoples melodramatic memory of "the air was awash with the scent of marijuana..."

In 1969 the #2 hit of the year was The Archies "Sugar, Sugar".

Joy To The World
Three Dog Night

Maggie May
Rod Stewart

It's Too Late
Carole King

One Bad Apple
Osmonds

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
Bee Gees

Knock Three Times
Dawn

Brand New Key
Melanie

Go Away Little Girl
Donny Osmond

Family Affair
Sly & Family Stone

Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves
Cher

Just My Imagination
Temptations

Theme From Shaft
Issac Hayes

Me And Bobby McGee
Janis Joplin

Brown Sugar
Rolling Stones

Indian Reservation
Raiders

Want Ads
Honey Cone

You've Got A Friend
James Taylor

Uncle Albert
Paul McCartney

What's Going On
Marvin Gaye

Never Can Say Goodbye
Jackson 5
You posted the top 10 SINGLES from 1971. All the pot smokers were buying albums so your sarcasm is amiss!!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post

All the pot smokers were buying albums...
I was a pot smoking, hippie, Vietnam vet, college student, political activist, and I never bought an album and very rarely listened to "commercial" music.

Not only could we not afford to spend money that way, we considered it just another part of the system's consumer based materialism.

Certainly there were some musicians who's music caught the ideas and ideals of the times, but by the time they were made into albums, or played on the radio, they had become consumer products that were part of the same system of greed and profit that we were fighting against.

We preferred to make our own music and follow our own drummers, not those who the music industry and the mass media promoted and profited from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History