Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
The earliest pro sport championship that i can remember was the 1972 baseball World Series between the Oakland A's and the Cinncinatti Reds as i still remember players on those teams like Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan and manager Sparky Anderson for the Reds and Catfish Hunter, Joe Rudi, Dave Concepcion and manager Dick Williams for the A's.

Oh yeah the A's won 4 games to 3 games in the 7 game World Series even without allstar Reggie Jackson (hurt)
Joe Rudi was one of my favorite players on that team.

Brings back memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Joe Rudi was one of my favorite players on that team.

Brings back memories.
Yeap i loved the A's back then and Gene Tenace (catcher) was my fav player on the team. Heck i still remember the owner's name Charlie Finley

Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I turned eight years old in 1972; I'll try to remember some stuff.....

Vida Blue. Wasn't he a pitcher with the A's?

The Dolphins beat the Redskins in the Superbowl.

I remember:

Looking at pics in Time & Life magazines of Vietnam.

My grandfather laughing while on vacation. He was stuck to the TV for 2 weeks watching the Watergate hearings.

Speed Racer after school on the UHF station.

The Brady Bunch on primetime. Wasn't it on Friday nights?

45's.

I had a 3 speed bike.

Ali - Frasier.

Rabbit ears on top of the TV.

I might be off a year or three on some things......

Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Jeff, I am very sorry for the shabby welcome you and your fellow soldiers recieved. I lived near Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis when I was in high school and had more than one boyfriend who was proudly serving. In defense of the protesters, I will offer an observation. Up until that time, most Americans didn't consider all the shades of gray that exist in any debate. We had an all or nothing attitude for the most part. I think it was the same way for many protesters. They couldn't separate the disagreement and disappointment with the administration's foreign policies from supporting the troops. Right or wrong, they seemed to be mutually exclusive ideas, and few could wrap their head around a concept where they could co-exist.

I hope you can find solace in knowing that your experiences, in my opinion anyway, are directing responsible for the overwhelming amount of support that today's troops recieve, even from those who question Washington's decisions. Perhaps, in time, you and your comrades will be able to see beyond the pain and hurt you endured instead of the heroes welcome to which you were entitled to the understanding and support that has resulted from it. I think back to you guys every time I see a neighborhood festooned with yellow ribbons, or hear a news report about the groups who meet and greet every hero returning from the mideast. Welcome home, Jeff, I am glad you made it back.

I agree in part, it wasn't that we (protestors) couldn't separate one from the other. I was a protestor and at the same time, I supported those who went. It was very clear - to me, at least, that making a choice to serve or to flee was very difficult and personal. At the same time, I totally deplored the treatment MY friends and family received when returning home. It was a crime. It was also a crime how our government treated the vets. My husband only this year signed up for his VA health benefits - he had an ear drum blown out and spent a year in the burn hospital. It took a long time for him to get over the incompetent (at best) and callous treatment.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
The earliest pro sport championship that i can remember was the 1972 baseball World Series between the Oakland A's and the Cinncinatti Reds as i still remember players on those teams like Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan and manager Sparky Anderson for the Reds and Catfish Hunter, Joe Rudi, Dave Concepcion and manager Dick Williams for the A's.

Oh yeah the A's won 4 games to 3 games in the 7 game World Series even without allstar Reggie Jackson (hurt)
BTW, Dave Concepcion was the shortstop for the REDS; it was also quite a contrast between the clean-shaven Reds and the mustachioed As.

George Allen's Redskins beat Tom Landry's Cowboys in the 1972 NFC Title game, only to lose to Don Shula's perfect (17-0) Miami Dolphins in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by MassVt; 01-25-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
I dropped out of High School at 17 joined USMC Nov. 17,1970.Was Engineer setting up Hospitals for Troops coming back from Vietnam.

I got married in 1971.Left the Service in '73.Went to work in a Union Bakery making over $3 an hour with Full Benifits.We bought our first Farm 100 acres for $25K.

Remember Guys coming back from the war shot up,Crazy and some just deserting.Remember the Riots of the late '60's.

hillman

Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I agree in part, it wasn't that we (protestors) couldn't separate one from the other. I was a protestor and at the same time, I supported those who went.
Annie, if you re-read my statement I qualified it with: "Right or wrong, they seemed to be mutually exclusive ideas, and few could wrap their head around a concept where they [supporting the troops and disagreeing with Washington] could co-exist." Obviously, you were one of the few who could. My point was that that was the great lesson of Vietnam, that they are not mutally exclusive ideas.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
BTW, Dave Concepcion was the shortstop for the REDS; it was also quite a contrast between the clean-shaven Reds and the mustachioed As.
LOL .. ok thanks as it's been alot of years since the 72 series when i was 8 years old. Yeap i still remember the A's pitcher Rollie Fingers sporting his curled mustache .

Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
yep ~ I remember those years~ Got married ~ was in on closing down NAS Sangley Point, Phillipines~ 1972 brought the birth of my first son.

So some good and some bad memories

Please do not ask which were good and which were bad!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
The last time I got beat up was 1972.

8 years old and gettin' ready to wrap up the third grade.

A fifth grader got the better of me......

When I got to the eighth grade, I got taller and he remained short. I humiliated him in front of his friends. A payback, if you will.

I hit him so hard in the forkhead that he had a ping pong ball sized lump right between his eyes for a whole week.

If that happened today we would be forced into counseling, ADHD treatment, and a violence awareness course.

He married my sister, BTW.

And I'm still bigger than him......but he's the better golfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History