Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 03:56 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times

Advertisements

In 1972 Don Kirshner's in Concert TV show was were you got to see and hear the real cool bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 04:44 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
I was still in diapers. Looking back what stands out to me the most was the first time on live tv did Islamic terrorist commit an attack. The Munich Olympic Games was Germany’s chance to clean up their image since the Berlin games hosted by Nazi Germany.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
It was the end of good rock and roll music! There have been very few songs made since then that will ever be heard again.
Indeed, if you look at the history of 1960s bands, many of them broke up or took a multi-year hiatus during the 1969-1972 period.

In 1971, as a young child I remember singing and clapping hands in the car to Paul McCartney's Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey from the album Ram and Our Lady of the Bronx Laura Nyro serenading to us her version of Up On The Roof from the album Christmas and the Beads of Sweat which peaked in January 1971.

The Jackson 5 were also at the height of their popularity in the very early 1970s, and I remember watching the cartoon on Saturday mornings.

My family was lucky, we were not involved in Vietnam, grandfather served at tail-end of WWII and father in occupied Japan about 14 years later, after Korea.

I don't remember anything about politics and political theater, my family is apolitical: my father was too busy working for a living, running a business, paying taxes, providing for a family and many others, while my mother and her generation listened to mostly 50s music, grandmother's generation Frank Sinatra and big band.

I remember the longest NFL game in history,
Miami Dolphins-Kansas City Chiefs played on December 25th, 1971.

We flew Eastern Airlines from New York to Florida, or did a three-day car trip.

We played with mechanical toys, like GI Joes and other action figures, and made toys and games with materials we found laying around the house and the neighborhood.

We played football, whiffle ball, and hockey in backyards and on the streets. We could run the streets unsupervised.

But we had to ask permission to make a long-distance call or even outside our own exchange on all landline telephones.

Television had seven channels, plus something called UHF but nobody I knew had an antenna for that.

By 1972, middle class flight from urban centers to the suburbs was at full scale.

I think the gas lines were in 1973, not 1971-1972.

Hmmm.

Yeah, I remember the rest of the decade as rather depressing, not a particularly happy childhood in the mid/late 1970s.

1980s were much better.

Last edited by bale002; 09-09-2019 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
I remember 1972 especially well due to hurricane Agnes. I was working in downtown Baltimore and the center of the city was evacuated due to fears that the Jones Falls creek would flood the area. We were let off work early. There was a famous photo taken of the dam in Roland Park being overtopped by a wall of water cresting at over 20 feet above the dam wall, which was pretty amazing - I'm surprised that the dam held. There was an incredible amount of damage from that storm = even 20 year later I saw where the bridge was literally washed away in Occoquan, VA.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I folded my firstborn’s diapers and listened to John Dean’s testimony. This was in 1973. But, as another poster mentioned the Watergate break in happened in 1972.

It was a slow grind in Congress, and we did have a Constitutional crisis, but Nixon did not want to be impeached so he resigned.

I can’t remember the year we were driven out of Vietnam. But in early seventies we were closer to losing that war than we knew. There were so many societal ramifications to that war. It was terrible for this country.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:52 AM

1,411 posts, read 566,307 times
I graduated college in 1971, so I remember those somewhat turbulent times relatively well while in my dotage.
What especially impacted my thoughts back then was how much the country & society had changed during the four years of college, and not for the better.
Some of my classmates were almost unrecognizable as seniors from their freshman days, and, if I recall my thoughts from way back then, my optimism for the future was greatly diminished.
I did not have to worry about serving in Vietnam, since I had a high draft number and by 1971, most troops were being sent home.
Thankfully, our country recovered, but I fear for it's future now, even more than back in the 70's.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:09 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Electronics and gadgets started getting cheaper or more accessible. I bought a LED watch hot off the street still in the box for $40.00. It was probably $75 new. It wasn't long before they were giving them away in cereal boxes. Stereo component systems got cheaper there were only two guys on my block that had massive record collections, like maybe well over 100 albums. I started buying about four or five every month throughout the seventies.That was the era of "Columbia Record Club."

Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
I can barely remember 2008 (the date that this thread started), never mind 1972.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM

35,079 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Default I hope this is not too long, but a lot happened in 1971 and 1972 in my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was born in January 1972 and curious what was life was like for my parents of that year. If you remember it well feel free to share.
The good things, the bad things what was popular, what did you enjoy and what did you hate.
FROM What's been the most consequential year of your life?

If I have to confine it to a calendar year I'll pick 1972 or Jewish Year 5733, roughly embracing early September 9, 1972 to September 27, 1973. I'll cheat and include one important development over Labor Day 1971 and extend out to early October 1973, with the cluster being Jewish Year 5733, roughly embracing early September 9, 1972 to September 27, 1973.

I'm going to basically use a post I made on the now-defunct www.cbc.ca/forums. Since this forum doesn't have a strike-through I can't show deletions, mostly of text responsive to the Canadian nature of that forum Additions from the original post are in dark blue:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am writing this on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of my father’s death (January 5, 1973) and my going to Temple today to mark that anniversary.

The period of my life bracketed by my father’s death was a period of my life marked by great promise, great tragedy, and great change. Unfortunately and sadly, I have not always lived up to that promise, though at 45 (now 60) I suppose there’s still time.

Over Labor Day weekend 1971 my father had a colostomy. This effectively ended the really privileged part of my life as the only child of a prosperous interior architect. We were told after the surgery that "they got it all" but my reading the school and local library (I was a 14 year old high school freshman) belied the happy horse manure.

I turned 15 in April 1972. While I always did well academically, I had never done well socially and that year, my freshman year of high school, was about the worst. My parents were asked to consider putting me in another school after a kid named Charlie chased me down two flights of stairs and through much of the school, whirling a bicycle chain. I wound up being able to hold a set of doors against him. When authorities finally arrived, Charlie told them that I had just bitten a dog outside the school's front door. My parents were "recommended" to find a private school for me. My mother favored this approach, my father not as much. Needless to say, Charlie was not disciplined. See 12 yr old Boy beaten in school by classmate` Chicago suburb. That summer, I was thrown out of the first camp I went to after half the summer.

The second half started the more positive phase, though marked by a developing tragedy. First, the bad part. My father’s colon cancer had started to recur, though we didn’t quite know it, at least officially. Now the good part.

I went to a different camp for the second half of the summer. It featured limited travel as part of the program. For the first time in my life, I made friends relatively easily. One of those was a girl. We repeatedly ran into each other and were singing the same song, coincidentally, each time. I think the songs were Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now. The other was Led Zeppellin’s Stairway to Heaven.

After returning home, my school was still pretty serious about getting me out, but they had no grounds to expel me. My family and the school settled on my starting some activities that began before school started to see what happened. I chose marching band (I played tuba, which was odd since I was 5’5”), the school newspaper and soccer. Both went well. One notable "leftover" from the previous year was that literally during the first week of school, now 10th grade, Charlie yanked a high stool out from under me in the school's weather center. It was lucky I wasn't badly hurt. Given my near-expulsion from school the previous June, I wasn't about to take this one up with the school.My father came home early from work that day, feeling the early stages of the cancer recurrence that would kill him almost four months later to the day. My father got on the phone with Charlie's father. I didn't get to hear the conversation but I heard not a word from Charlie from that September day in 1972 until his unlamented (by me) death 40 years later.

That semester, I was active in those activities as well as the weather club (which is why you see me on the Kyoto threads constantly). Though in soccer I was a fullback, they put me in once as forward, because the New Rochelle team was getting a bit aggressive. I scored a goal during my 3 minutes in.

During that period, I made lots of friends, many of which I still am close with 30 (45) years later. It was one of the happiest, most productive periods of my life. It was, unfortunately, also marked by my father’s rapid decline and death from cancer. We played tennis for the last time in October 1972, distributed campaign literature for McGovern on November 5, 1972 and he died at the beginning of January 1973. The silver lining, if you can call it that, was that the death brought me back into the Jewish fold, and I became close with my soon to be stepfather of 40 years, until his death. That spring I became close with one of the friends I had made that fall, and remain close. See When you stop communicating with a close friend without notice (the post was in response to a thread, and a small part of the post was about gaps in communication for periods of time between the Nixon era and now).

Summer 1973 was an entirely different kind of experience. While my relationships weren't perfect on my summer teen tour they were quite good. Basically I was for really the first time not the recipient of demeaning "special handling." And I met the person who became the "best man" at my May 1991 wedding. Things were not "happily ever after" and there were bumps along the way. But that limited period of time was a sea change.

When I say I have not always lived up to the promise of that period, I mean that I am not all that I can be. I am, on balance, not satisfied with the friends I’ve made since that period (with the exception, of course, of my wife). I have allowed myself to be sidetracked by petty insecurities and concerns, things that, in the long run, didn’t and don’t matter.

If there was a time I’d like to go back to, it’s that period. I’d like to start over from the end of that period and do many things differently and better.

================================================== ===============

FROM When Should a Parent Tell Their Offspring That Other Parent is Fatally Ill?

On Friday, December 15, 1972 I was a 15 year old high school sophomore. I came home from school that icy day, hoping that the Holiday concert I was due to perform in wasn't going to be snowed or iced out.

My father had had a rectal cancer resected in late August 1971. After a promising start he began developing pains in July 1972. He had a liver scan and his doctor flat-out lied to him about the results; they told him it was "clear." While he had his good days, many days were increasingly painful by October. My doctor said he told my mother the outlook and at some level I think he was telling me the truth. When he gave my mother a surprise party on November 7, 1972, her 40th birthday, I think she was pretty sure it was near the end, though he still went to work in NYC every day.

He had another liver scan on November 24, the day after Thanksgiving. His doctor told my mother that he was close to death, though that day he felt well enough we even talked about his returning to the ski slopes that winter. His last day of work was December 8; he was checked into New Rochelle Hospital on December 11, a Monday. One of the doctors there told my mother "don't you think it's time you told your son"?

When I came home she tried to be indirect. It didn't work, since I knew from my reading at the library what the real outlook for his disease was. I insisted on calling his doctor, since teh lack of candor seriously bothered me. He told me he had told her in October, but that he knew from before the 1971 operation my father was finished. I called my cousin in another state, who confirmed that I had read the literature correctly. That night, since my mother didn't feel up to driving, I took a cab to the High School to play at the concert. It was too icy to bike the six or so miles.

I wanted to tell my father what his fate was to be. My mother would not permit me to do that. my father died on January 5, 1973, exactly three weeks later.

================================================== ===============
FROM An American's Love of Canada

During the summer of 1972, I went to a camp that featured limited travel as part of the program. I was 15 at the time and met my first, sort-of girlfriend. We repeatedly ran into each other and were singing the same song, coincidentally, each time. One of the songs was Joni Mitchell's (of Canada) Both Sides Now. Here's the Canadian part. The final trip of the summer was to Quintes Isle, Ontario. That was my first of many trips to Canada.

The next school semester, fall 1972, I was active in band, soccer, the school newspaper and the weather club (which is why you see me on the climate change threads constantly). The band was what would figure in Canada.

I took part in an immensely enjoyable High School band exchange program with York High School, Toronto, in April 1973. Spring was slow in coming that year, and was chilled to the bone as the wind swept down Bloor and Yonge Street. I browsed some of the book shops on Yonge Street and read about the beginnings of the "Canadian Content" rules. I found it fascinating. To my surprise, I remembered Bloor and Yonge Street well when my wife and I visited in June 1997 (we relocated our trip to Algonquin Park; combination of a heat wave and her advanced stage of pregnancy). I thoroughly enjoyed that trip, as well as my wife's and my trip in 1992 to Banff and Calgary, and my independent trips to Quebec in 1979 and 1986 (I did not like my Montreal trip in 1976). Oh, I forgot to mention my first trip,with summer camp, during August 1972, to Quintes Island, and the Alexandria Bay area.

(SNIP)

In short, Canada has always been part of my life.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times
The ABC television network was building an empire, by the late 70's ABC was the top network and had money to burn. Howard Cosell was the leader in sportscasting, and made it into the A-game with the Muhammad Ali interviews, and coverage of the Ali - Frazier fight, march 8, 1971.

ABC Sports Flashback - Monday Night Football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-pYT4wldc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History