Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 01:11 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times

Advertisements

A few posters have made references to Charlie's Angels. This program wasn't on television for the 1971-72 season. It was first broadcast in 1976 on ABC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 01:16 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
A few posters have made references to Charlie's Angels. This program wasn't on television for the 1971-72 season. It was first broadcast in 1976 on ABC.
For many people the years blur together when you are talking about a 40-50 year ago period.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:58 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Not that I had any personal interest, but it seemed that pot was everywhere. There was at least four weed dealers on my street. There was talk of legalization, Prop 19, and decriminalization in 1972. Various strains were easy to come by. Panama Red, Acapulco Gold, Guerrero, Thai stick, Sensi, Mesh, and the ubiquitous K-Pot in Kansas( I understand it was totally worthless)

Old 09-13-2019, 02:14 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For many people the years blur together when you are talking about a 40-50 year ago period.
That's weird. I have a pretty good memory of what years I watched what TV programs, to within one or two years. Being off five years is a pretty big difference in time. That's like blurring elementary school with high school.

Anyway here is a list of the highest rated TV shows for 1971-72, to refresh everyone's mind.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
The TV show I remember most from that time was David Carradine's "Kung Fu." I remember it because we made a ritual out of getting together with friends, getting wasted and making fun of the program.

Every week it was the same thing. Pacifist priest Caine wanders into a new town, and despite not looking even slightly Chinese, he would instantly be ridiculed by some loudmouth
"Hey you! Chinaman! C'mere n' I'll take a dump in your hat!"
"Why....would....you...wish..to...do...that?"

Then we'd get the blurry screen and have a flashback to Caine's time at the temple.

"Master Po, the other boys make fun of me. They take my hat and put their night soil in it."
"Ah, Grasshopper, who is more disgraced? The man with night soil in his hat or the man who puts night soil in another's hat?"
"Huh?"

Flash back to the present, Caine Kung Fu's the crap out of the bully.

Whatever the main plot dilemma of the week was, this reluctant pacifist always resolved matters by kicking butts.

Great stuff when you're stoned.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Not that I had any personal interest, but it seemed that pot was everywhere. There was at least four weed dealers on my street. There was talk of legalization, Prop 19, and decriminalization in 1972. Various strains were easy to come by. Panama Red, Acapulco Gold, Guerrero, Thai stick, Sensi, Mesh, and the ubiquitous K-Pot in Kansas( I understand it was totally worthless)
I guess that depends on where you lived. Where I lived it was not everywhere. Although I did see weed for the first time in 1972. The police department was doing an anti-drug talk at the elementary school I went to and they brought a bag of weed so we could see and smell what it looked like. I'm not sure what the purpose of that was. It probably just peaked kids interest in it.

The first indication I ever had, that any of my classmates were doing it, was a few years later when I was in Junior High School. One morning on my way to school I was walking down a hill overlooking the school. There was a greenhouse across the street from the school, and the first thing I noticed was about six police cars all with their red lights flashing parked over there. I was late for school so I didn't have time to see what was going on, but as soon as I got to my first class, I heard what happened. A couple of dozen students had broken into a storage shed at the greenhouse and had been smoking weed in there for several days. Which got a complaint to the police department, and that resulted in our schools first drug raid. The story made the local TV news that night.

When I was in high school in the late 70s, it wasn't much of a secret that many students were smoking weed, mostly at parties.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:29 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
By 1971-1972 there was IMO a decrease in westerns on network television. More and more detective and cop shows were showing up and doing well on ratings--a few of them would be Mannix, Cannon, Mccloud, Kojak, Adam 12, The FBI, Barnaby Jones (Buddy Ebsen), Ironside, and of course Hawaii 5-0. And lots of others.

Two Westerns in 1971 and 1972 I really liked but didn't last long were Alias Smith And Jones and Cade's County. I picked up Smith and Jones season 1 at a cd/dvd shop, forgot how I loved the show! And sadly I do not believe Cade's County (Glenn Ford) was ever released, if there's one for sale I must have missed it. It was a western type crime/drama show, loved it. If anyone has seen this on the umpteen cable stations let me know which one!

Old 09-13-2019, 04:08 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
By 1971-1972 there was IMO a decrease in westerns on network television. More and more detective and cop shows were showing up and doing well on ratings--a few of them would be Mannix, Cannon, Mccloud, Kojak, Adam 12, The FBI, Barnaby Jones (Buddy Ebsen), Ironside, and of course Hawaii 5-0. And lots of others.

Two Westerns in 1971 and 1972 I really liked but didn't last long were Alias Smith And Jones and Cade's County. I picked up Smith and Jones season 1 at a cd/dvd shop, forgot how I loved the show! And sadly I do not believe Cade's County (Glenn Ford) was ever released, if there's one for sale I must have missed it. It was a western type crime/drama show, loved it. If anyone has seen this on the umpteen cable stations let me know which one!
A lot of former TV western stars appeared as guests on Alias Smith and Jones. James Drury, Pernell Roberts, Forrest Tucker, Lee Majors, etc.
Once that show was cancelled Gunsmoke was the only western left on the air.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

I remember an English teacher I had who was not happy about that trend. One day a student asked him what TV shows he liked. He responded that Gunsmoke was the only show he watched. Then he went on a rant about how the only shows on TV then were police shows. Sad day for him. A short time later Gunsmoke went off the air.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:48 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I guess that depends on where you lived. Where I lived it was not everywhere. Although I did see weed for the first time in 1972. The police department was doing an anti-drug talk at the elementary school I went to and they brought a bag of weed so we could see and smell what it looked like. I'm not sure what the purpose of that was. It probably just peaked kids interest in it.

The first indication I ever had, that any of my classmates were doing it, was a few years later when I was in Junior High School. One morning on my way to school I was walking down a hill overlooking the school. There was a greenhouse across the street from the school, and the first thing I noticed was about six police cars all with their red lights flashing parked over there. I was late for school so I didn't have time to see what was going on, but as soon as I got to my first class, I heard what happened. A couple of dozen students had broken into a storage shed at the greenhouse and had been smoking weed in there for several days. Which got a complaint to the police department, and that resulted in our schools first drug raid. The story made the local TV news that night.

When I was in high school in the late 70s, it wasn't much of a secret that many students were smoking weed, mostly at parties.
In 1972 I gave a complete stranger directions and he handed me a joint and said "thanks dude, I'm gonna turn you on for doing me a solid." No lie, this was in a public building with people walking around. There was no fear in those days. Two people I knew were stopped by the police in their cars and had pot on them and were not charged for possession. The weed was just confiscated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History